Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Recommended chaps (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1134060-recommended-chaps.html)

JimmyDee 08-29-2016 09:09 AM

Fox Creek for any leather riding apparel, you will not find a better customer driven company anywhere. Warranty for a lifetime, but seriously doubt that you will ever need it.

Already had 2 Fox Creek jackets and a vest, just had them make a jacket with fringe on the back and sleeves, couldn't be more pleased with it.

Biggerfoot 08-29-2016 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by wraplock (Post 15460335)
I'm sure I'll get called out on this but here goes anyway. I'll start by saying I have been riding Harley's for over 40 years. Leathers are worn to protect your hide in a fall, If they do that you got your money out of them. I'm on my second pair of chaps. I bought the first set at a Harley Rendevous many years ago and I still have them. I used them for Riding the bike and horse back riding for years until I out grew them. My friend has the Harley chaps and he paid several hundred bucks for them and he insisted I buy a pair. I went on line and found a pair at http://www.jafrum.com/motorcycle-gear/leather-chaps for around $50.00. I bought them and the first time I wore them my buddy asked how did I like the Harley chaps? When I told him where I got them he said junk. I took them off and compared them to his and guess what they appear identical stitch for stitch. Mine where made in Pakistan he has no clue where his HD chaps where made. If I hit the ground in mine I'll be out $50 bucks and will buy another pair. If he hits the ground well lets just say it will cost him a lot more!

BTW I bought a jacket from them also. Looks just like my friends HD jacket as well. The first time I wore it the zipper on the sleeve broke. I called them and they issued a return and replaced the jacket without question in 3 days time.

While I have a closet full of Harley Jackets, I am on my seventh year on a set of Xelement chaps I paid $80 for. They have held up well for many trips.
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Mens-Moto...ps/2/1067.html

That said, I am looking for a set of insulated ones and the Fox Creek zip out ones look great. The Xelement insulated ones snap in and the way the snaps are, you cannot really stretch the leather much in the thighs.

I think the thigh measure is the most important to measure. I am tall, lean, but with larger thighs so I am very hard to fit. The leather will stretch over time though.

MacQuarrie 08-29-2016 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am leaning towards the Fox Creek or Espinoza's but I have to figure out a way to try them on because I really hate shopping online and returning stuff that doesn't fit right.

jakenok 08-29-2016 10:02 AM

None... If you're cold, get some leather over-pants.

Mikey 1450 08-29-2016 10:05 AM

If you can wait until you can attend a large Rally, there are vendors that allow you to try them on and will custom trim the bottoms. As you said the prices vary but you can se/ touch/ inspect and try on. I have bought 2 pair this way- I out grew my first pair, I bought my last set about 5 years ago, they cost about $100 with a thin liner and they do a great job. Several of my friends purchased theirs the same way - no complaints

JMC22 08-29-2016 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MacQuarrie (Post 15460410)
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am leaning towards the Fox Creek or Espinoza's but I have to figure out a way to try them on because I really hate shopping online and returning stuff that doesn't fit right.

I'd recommend Fox Creek - have them send you a pair to try on for sizing - then tell them the alterations so they can make for your personal fit

Orion-5 08-29-2016 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyDee (Post 15460391)
Fox Creek for any leather riding apparel... had them make a jacket with fringe on the back and sleeves...

The fringes are functional providing a lot of edges and surface area for wicking away moisture and speeding up the drying process. Think rain.
Goes back to native Americans and frontiersmen buckskins.

kryingame 08-29-2016 11:31 AM

Fox Creek makes great leather goods. Last year, I bought 3 pairs of gloves from them.

But for Chaps, last week, I bought a pair of chaps with a removable lining from Jafrum. They're a local based company and sells decent stuff. I think I bought them for $59.00.

Regardless of the brand or seller, pay close attention to the sizing. I tried several pairs of chaps and all fit differently.

JimmyDee 08-29-2016 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Orion-5 (Post 15460782)
The fringes are functional providing a lot of edges and surface area for wicking away moisture and speeding up the drying process. Think rain.
Goes back to native Americans and frontiersmen buckskins.

Interesting, never really thought about the function of fringe, just liked the 'old look' appearance.

heavymetalthunder 09-01-2016 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jakenok (Post 15460550)
None... If you're cold, get some leather over-pants.

I just got a pair of leather over-pants. I agree they are warmer than chaps. Keeps the family jewels nice and toasty.