General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode 2017 street & rode glides

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 PM
motorups
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rode 2017 street & rode glides

Me
Not a big Harley rider. Had a road king when the last new engine came out (2007/2005 maybe...was hot as hell to ride due to engine heat and rear exhaust pipe location ). Got a 2014 xl1200c, forward controls then put 2015 black magic tins on it. Had a 93 electric glide classic. Was not fully taken with the water head cooled bike, mostly since it would be nice to take lowers off and I cannot do that on those bikes.

Ride
So the test ride, rode the street glide special first. Goes into first easier though later once on the road it seems to clunk just as prior bikes, as do other gears. Not a biggie, that is what Harley's do. Feels like she has more power and indeed less heat.

Heat
The heat thing is a biggie to me and I feel the new engine makes a major difference. It had to be 90 plus out there today and it did not fry my legs. Warm, for sure though bearable. Then again who the heck wants to ride when it is 90 plus outside unless they have to.

Wind
Another guy at the shop, customer, said to be sure to demo the road glide...face only a mother could love. He felt the helmet buffering was much less on that model. Was not considering that model since I love the bat wing fairing and don't plan on road trips out of State, plus this is Florida and it is hot most times. One does get less wind issues at helmet level... Would actually want a windscreen anothe inch or two taller I am thinking.

Road Glide
Anyway, did like the speedo gauges being closer on the road glide plus other gauges seem more forward facing. Course the lite handlebars is a nice touch with no fairing load on them. Comes in handy at low speed parking lot riding I felt.

Lighting
Other guy did not like the road glide since the headlights don't follow the forks into a turn like the street glide does. Headlights are different though so straight line night driving may differ on how the road is illuminated.

Seat
Not impressed with the seat, not that comfortable to me. Just a standard seat in my book.

Suspension
Not impressed with Harley stock suspension.

Extras
Then tack on quick release hardware and a rear trunk and the price before trades heads towards high towards $30k mark. A lot of money for a bike, even with the engine changes.
Presently they are asking msrp for the bikes. Heck I would get the $299 rear cyclinder fan installed as well.

Wrap
I would though say, if you can swing it, aim for a 107 instead of a 103.

Time will tell
At any rate, have probably 5 bikes I could trade in so will have $15k or more towards the deal. Wish my sportster led turn blubs would fit the glide turn signal housing though guessing not. Presently the orange color is catching my eye.

Last edited by motorups; 08-28-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

Rambling rambling rambling..........

Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM
motorups
Advanced

True...
Crib notes -
Less heat, more power. Buy 107 if you want both stock over a 103.
Nice yellow on your ride btw

Last edited by motorups; 08-28-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

"Not a big Harley rider"? What exactly is your reason for living? You sound tough, the heat can get to anyone. The fan sounds pretty macho. I would like to be at the dealership when you bring in your 5 bikes for trade! Are you Katlin Jenner? Are you my wife's brother?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 PM
motorups
Advanced

If u r waiting to here I have to ride a Harley for my life to be complete don't hold your breath. If it has two wheels it is a bike, ride them..what ever brand you like...watch for cages and be happy. End of story in my book. Well, side hacks are cool also.

Not tough, just a person on this rock like everyone else. And if adding a Harley fan, yes they now offer it for 2017 models, to a bike hurts your image of a Harley that is for you to deal with not me.

As to your other comment about how many toys I have, get over it. I am not married and you are not my keeper.

Last, indeed it would be the most trade ins the dealer will have ever taken in on a new bike though they are being cool about it. They won't pay more then they will turn around and sell them for on the flip side, plus make money on each one sold. No insurance required in Florida though with only one insured I am one accident away from financial melt down. That is a risk I should avoid so dropping to one bike would resolve that.

Will miss the Royal Enfiled Kozi sidecar though, 2011 fuel injected, though my darn side hurts at times. Not riding with any weight on the sidecar, so maybe that is part of the issue plus alignment might be off

Last edited by motorups; 08-28-2016 at 06:32 PM.