General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike shopping sucks

Old 09-03-2016, 05:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Why I was asking about the customization deal I like the 19" front wheel & fenders on the SG over the fat 17" on the Kings, wishful thinking maybe I could do a little swapping if the bike had to be built instead of dumping another $2k into extra parts down the road. Oh well It will hunt for pull offs again as they age a bit.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I'm kind of liking that Billet Silver too ... Vivid Black is getting too hard to keep clean. Of course a new scooter isn't in the plans right now :>(
Tell you from long experience the silvers very forgiving when it comes to keeping clean, only way I'll go from now on.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,519 Likes on 3,048 Posts

The dealers have a choice of models within a line: touring, softail, dyna, and XL, not to exceed their dealer allocation of ? They can't buy more of one line than they are allocated but they get to choose which of those lines they'll get 'heavy' on and which they'll keep a low inventory on and they'll dealer trade for one if they're wrong. The bikes you see on the floor, the dealer chose when he picked the quarterly allocation. That's why some dealers have more of one than of another.

The RK is ancient ('94) but I have to admit that I prefer my RK rebuild over the original RG that it came as.

As to salesman knowledge of their product? Not since the heyday when a sales guy made $50,000 just taking orders (late 90's.)

Old 09-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,725 Likes on 18,539 Posts

Yep ... My last truck was Indigo Blue ( very dark ) and the new one is Ice Metallic ( silver ). I can wash it with a mop and it looks good.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

My local only has 2 of the new ones. A Street Glide and a Road King. Rode a Limited today, I was very impressed with the power and ride. Dealing with the dealers is frustrating.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy
The dealers have a choice of models within a line: touring, softail, dyna, and XL, not to exceed their dealer allocation of ? They can't buy more of one line than they are allocated but they get to choose which of those lines they'll get 'heavy' on and which they'll keep a low inventory on and they'll dealer trade for one if they're wrong. The bikes you see on the floor, the dealer chose when he picked the quarterly allocation. That's why some dealers have more of one than of another.

The RK is ancient ('94) but I have to admit that I prefer my RK rebuild over the original RG that it came as.

As to salesman knowledge of their product? Not since the heyday when a sales guy made $50,000 just taking orders (late 90's.)
Kinda what I figured this hardcore SG & RG country out here it's all you see besides sporties. Both had lots of 16 stock sitting around they were more than willing to try and hustle.

This is were I should kick out the upside to what I did see on the newer bikes.

There is a big heat difference between the 16's and the new motors , a pair just pulled back in off a test ride and holding a hand a foot or so away from the rear head the temp difference is marked. The 16 RG was putting off like an old steam radiator while the new motor you could almost touch, like a bike that had been warming up for a couple minutes .

I really want to see what's going inside the primary on these , it's shorter and narrower and looked heavier in the castings all round. Made for much better leg clearance when sitting flat footed with a 30" inseam. The older RK's I've ridden sat on the high side for me.

Just a hint of gear whine when revving , reminded me seriously of the old panhead cam case gear noise. Personally I like it, what is will be at speed with the stock pipes remains to be heard.

Surprised me the weight on these newer bike even over the old evo RK's I've ridden , suspect that will make the bike feel much more connected to the ground when I start playing in the canyons.

lastly the vibration at an idle deal, that's a big one it was weird seeing that bike sit there at an idle without the engine bobbing like a drunk in hallway and the frame or mirrors not shaking. I'm going to enjoy that.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:03 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,876 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Man's got money to spend..., is ready to spend it - and all they want to do is dick around

**** that boggles my mind

Ghost

The following 3 users liked this post by Ghost_13:
joes bar and grill (09-04-2016), TenMidgets (09-03-2016), TwiZted Biker (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 06:35 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot

I like the looks of the Black Hills Gold / Black Quartz Road King as seen on YouTube. On Harley's site the gold looks like faded yellow and terrible. I like it because it reminds me if the New Orleans Saints I guess.
I've seen the RK at my dealers in the Gold/Black out in the sun. The gold looked faded to me.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Man's got money to spend..., is ready to spend it - and all they want to do is dick around

**** that boggles my mind

Ghost
More true than you know, had the check book in my back pocket both places.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:44 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I stopped at a couple of dealers today - not shopping at all just kinda wanted to see the new engine and a new road king. Nobody around Columbus ohio had a 17 RK on the floor.

I wonder what it is about road kings? I bought my 16 RK in March and I had to search for one. Of course the dealerships tell me they sell so fast they can't keep them in stock - at least thats the story I was getting when I was telling them I wanted one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New bike shopping sucks