General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you know anyone who rides a Harley without a valid M License? Even with insurance what kind of coverage does he really have not being "Legal"????

Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,399 Likes on 5,529 Posts

This thread brought back a memory that made me laugh.

I got my motorcycle and motorcycle license first, when I bought a car and got a permit the permit stated that you had to have a licensed driver with you when driving a car.

Using all the logic that my teen mind could apply to work things in my favor
I thought "Cool, I have a license, I'm good."
I drove with that combo for years without a problem, each time that I did actually get stopped I had a licensed driver with me, and I skated.

I worked many hours as a kid and didn't want to lose the money to take the time for the test, only getting my license to drive a car at 19 a few years after actually doing starting driving.

The on Topic part is that back in those days I could get insurance for MY car despite not having a license, not sure how it works these many years later.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my first bike from the dealer with insurance and did not have a mc endorsement.

I recently bought insurance for a new bike that wasn't even registered in my name or in the state. It is now, but that's not the point.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:46 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Bought my 1st bike with a learners permit and got it insured no problem. All they cared about was whether I had a valid drivers license. Not sure if it was because I was only applying for Liability on a less than $5k bike? I remember the dealer telling me that you don't need a Motorcycle license to buy a bike but you need 1 to legally drive it off their lot. He said the 2 ways around that are loading it in a truck or pushing it off their lot and then riding it......

The following users liked this post:
Viaqua (03-04-2018)
Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I got my motorcycle lic when I was 13.5 years old in Arkansas. Only restriction was it had to be under 125cc. At 15 years old with no tickets or wrecks you could get a unlimited motorcycle lic. At 15 I got a Honda 750 and a Ducati custom built Desmo 900. Then my parents moved to the land of fruits and nuts,,, yes commiefornia. They would not except my Arkie lic. So I had these two nice bikes and could not ride them. Turned 16 in the land of fruits and nuts. But all the drivers ed class's were full. That summer I went back to Arkansas. Tested and had my my drivers lic. with a motorcycle endorsement. Worked and bought my first Cuda big block and drove back to Fountain Valley to start 10th grade. Nut and fruit state would not again except my Ar. Lic. Drivers Ed yeah know. Finaly got into drivers Ed. I shoed the teacher my current lic with (M) and he told me you pass the written and driving test, I give you your certs for both. He even trailered my Duc to the Orange county fair grounds for me to take a visual motorcycle riding test on his own time and gas. I think he lusted after the Duc. Then I could test out with the state of lunatics. I've always had a drivers lic. and M endorsment since and my *** on a scoot with ins. in pocket. I will not ride or drive with anybody I know that does not have the proper lic's. And believe whole heartly the testing in America should be much more strict and often.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:57 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I know someone who rode without an endorsement and was even in an accident. When the police showed up and took info they just handed them their regular (car) license. Never received a ticket, it seemed to go unnoticed. The insurance paid off and it didn't even come up. was 2 or 3 years ago.

jakenok (10-04-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

In Washington, get stopped without endorsement, impounded bike. Motorcycle insurance, not required.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:36 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

When I first bought mine had insurance but didn't have my M license yet. Rode for several months before took the MSF course which also gave me a discount on insurance.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:05 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by jz78817
my state will impound your bike if you're caught riding without an endorsement.
Makes sence that cops would impound bike...They can't let you drive off without a license...Tow a bike isn't cheap...
Originally Posted by 1plumr1
In Washington, get stopped without endorsement, impounded bike. Motorcycle insurance, not required.
No motorcycle insurance required? Interesting I thought all states required insurance? Regardless...Buddy has insurance...Just no license.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:22 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Makes sence that cops would impound bike...They can't let you drive off without a license...Tow a bike isn't cheap...

No motorcycle insurance required? Interesting I thought all states required insurance? Regardless...Buddy has insurance...Just no license.

That's true, No insurance required on our bikes.... yet.
I have talked to some young folks on Crotch rockets with no ins and "drivin it like they stole it"
I get to pay for the uninsured motorist on my policy.
We are quickly turning into Cali so it will change soon.

Last edited by GRWHD; 09-29-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:48 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by jz78817
my state will impound your bike if you're caught riding without an endorsement.
Some counties here might do that as well. And they don't use care how the bike it towed either.

Viaqua (03-04-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you know anyone who rides a Harley without a valid M License? Even with insurance what kind of coverage does he really have not being "Legal"????