General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you know anyone who rides a Harley without a valid M License? Even with insurance what kind of coverage does he really have not being "Legal"????

Old 09-28-2016, 06:14 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Question Do you know anyone who rides a Harley without a valid M License? Even with insurance what kind of coverage does he really have not being "Legal"????

Having a cold one with a buddy and he tells me he doesn't have a valid M License yet he has insurance.
Then I'm talking with another buddy and he tells me his insurance requires he show proof of cycle license before he gets his insurance.
With my insurance I showed I passed the Illinois Cycles Safety Class to get a discount but dint have to show proof of current license...
So I'm wondering if any states require you show proof of license before you can get a tag?
Or
Any insurance companies require you show cycle license before they issue insurance...
Seems like a strange question BUT why would an insurance company give you insurance to operate a vehicle that you maybe not qualified to operate?

I wonder if you get in an accident and you don't have a valid license does the insurance co. have to pay?
Thanks for any info... Tim

Old 09-28-2016, 06:33 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,037 Likes on 11,057 Posts

Anyone can purchase motorcycle insurance with or without a license to operate it. The policy declarations and exclusions cover unlicensed operation.

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
jakenok (10-04-2016), joes bar and grill (09-30-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 06:35 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Here in Minn, they just started requiring proof of insurance to get tabs,, but you only need tabs to operate the bike on public roads,, I can still own it without current tabs.
I can own any vehicle and have insurance on it,, If I don't have a license, then I'm not legally operating it,, so the insurance won't pay me,, the no-fault/uninsured motorist insurance would have to kick in for damages I cause, but the insurance company doesn't have to pay me.
Let's just say;
I have an insured bike, my friend has a license, I could let him operate it temporarily and everything is golden,, if I don't have a license, again I'm not legal.
Insurance covers other things besides operation accidents like theft or damage by weather or even someone else hitting it while it's in a parking lot or driveway.

But your buddy without a valid license or permit is playing with fire, if he was my friend,, he'd stay far behind me or not come at all,,

I'll add to this my own sin;
Back in the early 90's I was a starving student,, I had no insurance and got my tabs from the local VFW parking lot around midnight for 2yrs in a row,, at that time motorcycle tabs looked just like car tabs and a no insurance ticket was $50,, all I needed was a razor blade and contact cement.
I was very lucky I didn't get popped,, they could have had me on a couple of charges.
Times have changed since then, No-Insurance here in Minn will get your Drivers license pulled for a year!!

Last edited by JohnMn; 09-28-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a friend that rides without an endorsement. I don't know nor do I care if he has insurance.

The following 2 users liked this post by qtrracer:
Br125 (09-29-2016), jakenok (10-04-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I rode for 15 years without an endorsement....But of course that was before the USA turned into pussyassedland.

Last edited by Greezey Rider; 09-28-2016 at 06:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
hvacgaspiping (10-06-2016), jakenok (10-04-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I have a friend that rides without an endorsement. I don't know nor do I care if he has insurance.
I guess in a strange way you and I have something in common.....

Old 09-28-2016, 06:56 PM
ssleeper
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never had a problem w/ insurance in TX not having my M endorsement. Only reason I got it was to get out of the ticket for not having it at one point, but that was an add-on ticket; not the reason I was stopped.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:00 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnMn

I'll add to this my own sin;
Back in the early 90's I was a starving student,, I had no insurance and got my tabs from the local VFW parking lot around midnight for 2yrs in a row,, at that time motorcycle tabs looked just like car tabs and a no insurance ticket was $50,, all I needed was a razor blade and contact cement.
I was very lucky I didn't get popped,, they could have had me on a couple of charges.
Times have changed since then, No-Insurance here in Minn will get your Drivers license pulled for a year!!
Thanks John for the info....WHEN I was young I also did many things im not to proud of and driving without insurance was one of them...But now close to 60 and buddies the same, money isn't an issue...AND I would think common sence would play a big part now....But WTF do I know????

The following users liked this post:
TenMidgets (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 07:32 PM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

my state will impound your bike if you're caught riding without an endorsement.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

No endorsement ... no license

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you know anyone who rides a Harley without a valid M License? Even with insurance what kind of coverage does he really have not being "Legal"????