General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start and No rear running lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts
Default No Start and No rear running lights

A friend called a couple of days ago and said his bike wouldn't start and his running lights were out, front driving lamps had never worked.
I went through the standard checklist with him and asked him to get back with me after he tried everything.
He called back and said the bike was blowing light fuses and still wouldn't start.
I went over today to help him.
#1 2010 RK Police - I found wires not terminated correctly, spliced poorly, and connection (ground soldered strands loose and not insulated) in the tail-lamp, as well as other power wires going to nowhere.
#2 Bike wouldn't start.

I usually do 1 thing at a time, but I was in a hurry so I can't identify the exact failure I/we (he was watching) corrected.

A - found the battery connections looser than I would ever have mine (cleaned) and reconnected after I was finished with everything.
B - Eliminated every power wire not properly fused or in use (Police bike I assume it was wired for all the extras and not run properly).
C - Upon inspecting the fuses I found corrosion throughout the fuse block, so I cleaned all the fuses and relays, as well as the fuse block itself.
D - Last I inspected and cleaned the ignition switch.

Final results, all light worked except the one with bulbs burnt out, I toggled the run switch a few times, hit the starter and it started just fine.

I say all this just to point out to all that think your Harley is Magic and every problem is the end of the world, IT'S NOT.

There are things WE can screw up, but overall it's usually simple stuff.

Check Grounds, Check Connection Terminations, Clean Corrosion, Test Battery, Check Fuses & Relays, and Check Switches and Position.

A Little PM goes a long way to avoid problems.

Last edited by TSheff; 10-29-2016 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
harleydavis (11-01-2016)