General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade or sell? Planning new RGU purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:08 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Trade or sell? Planning new RGU purchase

I have a 2015 Switchback with some pretty nice upgrades, which I'm well aware make little if no difference on trade or resale value.

Normally I would always consider selling as opposed to trading, but with the glut of really nice used bikes out there, who knows how long it might take to sell it on my own - especially considering it's an FLD, the bastard child of the HD lineup. I also know that I will take a beating on a trade. But I am actually considering going that route so I can have the new one by spring.

Opinions, anyone?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

If you can float 2 payments for a while then try selling it yourself, you'll take less of a hit. If you want to taste it to the dealer put the stock parts back on first and sell the aftermarket parts yourself

Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,118 Likes on 11,093 Posts

How much do you owe on the loan?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

With so many bikes out there for sale I'd cut my losses and make the best trade in I could and be happy lots of knuckleheads (other than regular family members) are aggravating my *** coming by to look at the bike and waste my time.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:54 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

If your aren't in a huge hurry, I would put in for sale on your local craigslist and see what kind of interest you get. If you haven't gotten any interest in a few weeks, see what the dealer will give on trade in.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:58 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

What does NADA / Kelley say is the value for owner and dealer? Have you taken it to the dealer yet for a trade-in price?

Old 10-30-2016, 12:08 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Every state is different but here in Georgia, you only pay tax on the difference between the trade and the price of the new bike. This helps to make trading it less of a punch-in-the-gutt if you get lowballed on the trade. Having said that, when I traded my '13 on a '17, it's obviously a numbers game but I would say they gave me as much as I could have got by selling it myself. Even if that wasn't the case, losing a bit saves the aggravation of tire kickers

Old 10-30-2016, 12:13 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

The same forces that may limit you quickly selling to a private party may impact what the dealer offers you in trade. The advantage in trading is no waiting, not dealing with a score of idiots who are not as interested in buying your bike as they are in annoying you, and possibly a smaller sales tax depending on your state. Advantages to private sale is typically a higher sales price. You are likely to take a bath regardless of which route you take, selling that new of a bike. If you have an existing loan (you didn't say) you'll have to pay that off as well.
What bike are you thinking of buying?

Old 10-30-2016, 12:18 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah its a convenience thing trading a vehicle in. Some feel the pounding you take on the trade is better than the hassle of selling it yourself. You may try for a while to sell it yourself. You never know its a nice looking bike and since they are not making that bike anymore there might be someone who is looking for the whole 2 bikes in one thing the SB is. Be patient.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Trade it.

It's a great bike, but very little demand. Try selling it for a month and see how many calls you get if you enjoy being frustrated for extended periods.

Quick Reply: Trade or sell? Planning new RGU purchase