General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

211 cams on 2005 Fat Boy - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Default 211 cams on 2005 Fat Boy - Opinions

Good day all.
Thinking about doing SE 211 cams on my '05 Fat Boy. I'm aware that from a purely financial perspective, it's probably not the best move given the age of the bike, residual value, etc. BUT...this bike has MAJOR sentimental value - long story and I'll spare you the details, point being, other bikes may come and go, but I'll never get rid of this one. It does have relatively low miles - just north of 35K. Does this make sense? Just looking for your opinions to either push me off the edge on this or pull me back. Thanks! One other note...I will not be doing the wrenching. I'll do some things, but not major motor work - at least not yet. Thanks again!

Last edited by Bopple Hill Rd; 11-01-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:45 PM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you seriously plan on never getting rid of it and you're sure you want to do a cam change, then here is my suggestion. Do it right the first time. Don't know your riding style but if it's just puttering around maybe going 2 up at times, the 211 cam will suffice. You can keep the stock heads, hi compression pistons would be of benefit. Basically it's just going to increase your mid range torque.

Were it me, and I was definitely going to keep the bike, I'd do a complete rebuild with all the good pieces to keep the engine together no matter the cam selection. Buy the best, don't compromise. There's lots of parts out there to choose from so you decide. I'd go radical but then that's me, it's what I have. I like my bike that way. but then I don't go on long trips or get too far from home base...

If you take trips and don't ride it very hard, then go with something like the 211 cams. They would be easy on the engine.
Good luck...

The following users liked this post:
Bopple Hill Rd (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 03:52 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I'd go with the 254e cams...better torque at the very bottom, & great mid range, too. Actually, I DID on my '07.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:19 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Thowk,

I am going through similar as you - But mines an 02 Heritage, I have priced several different variations from HD`s upgrade kit, to Andrews kit to Fuelings & I am going with the wood Knight prowler cams with RCC2.

I think they all have pro`s & Cons but I'm looking more for reliability by getting the original Cam tensioners out of there. the route I went is expensive but woods cams are top of the line & if you just stay mild & don't go radical theres usually no more noise than a stock mill produces, depends on what your riding style is like?

Are you or have you changed your tensioners?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
Thowk,

I am going through similar as you - But mines an 02 Heritage, I have priced several different variations from HD`s upgrade kit, to Andrews kit to Fuelings & I am going with the wood Knight prowler cams with RCC2.

I think they all have pro`s & Cons but I'm looking more for reliability by getting the original Cam tensioners out of there. the route I went is expensive but woods cams are top of the line & if you just stay mild & don't go radical theres usually no more noise than a stock mill produces, depends on what your riding style is like?

Are you or have you changed your tensioners?
Thank you! As I've gotten in to this, I'm looking at both Andrews and Woods. I have not changed the tensioners which is what started me down the path - figuring that it needs doing, or will soon. I'm not crazy on the throttle, really just looking for some oomph at cruising speed, (65 - 75mph), in case I need to get out of a situation.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:42 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default 211 Cams

I had 211 cams in my Dyna for a while. They are a good cam for 2 up riding and pull hard on the lower end. I always hit the rev limiter, 5500, before the engine laid down. I think they are a good choice if you want a low end torque cam.
You will benefit from putting high compression pistons in the jugs if you go with the 211s. Those cams are easy on the engine and won't shorten engine life unless you flog it hard and often.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the 211's and some other parts in my '08 Heritage. Love them! I've never run out of pull yet and I've been north of 100 mph a few times. My build and dyno are in my signature. Plenty of motor for me and a real fun ride.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:14 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The 211's won't really show you what they are capable of unless you bump the compression up a notch or two.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:36 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The 211's won't really show you what they are capable of unless you bump the compression up a notch or two.
This right here. And with some headwork and a good tune better yet. I wonder if a 204 would be better for his application?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Go get a screamin Eagle pro racing catalog from the dealership, "it's free" and put it in your bathroom. Pretty soon you will have a bike that can tear the asphalt plumb up. That is the way i built my own big bore kit back in 08.

Quick Reply: 211 cams on 2005 Fat Boy - Opinions