General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with electrical (GND) issue?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 AM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Help with electrical (GND) issue?

So I have an intermittent issue that just started on a 2009 Fat Bob. Just riding down the road and I loose electrical power for just a second. Bike tries to die then just as quickly it comes back. I know it is electrical because the speedometer drops quickly then recovers. Someone told me it sounds like I am loosing a gnd connection. I don't know. Anyone had this same scenario?

Old 11-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Check your battery grounding points on the frame and battery, put a wrench on them and see if they are snug. Chase all of the grounding points if you can. If you find a loose connection pull it apart and clean it up before putting it back in place. Check the connections on your switches as well.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:49 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Originally Posted by Crashone
Check your battery grounding points on the frame and battery, put a wrench on them and see if they are snug. Chase all of the grounding points if you can. If you find a loose connection pull it apart and clean it up before putting it back in place. Check the connections on your switches as well.
Will do this afternoon, thanks.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:57 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your main circuit breaker , I had one start acting up on me once . Would shut down all electric & then reset it self after a few minutes & then it would be OK .

The following users liked this post:
EdPayne66 (10-23-2023)
Old 11-03-2016, 02:21 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Originally Posted by ROMPUS
Check your main circuit breaker , I had one start acting up on me once . Would shut down all electric & then reset it self after a few minutes & then it would be OK .
OK, will do. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Do you have a voltmeter(multimeter, whatever they call it now)? You can always check resistance and continuity(the setting that beeps when you touch the electrodes together) to see if the wire is good on the inside.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:48 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Do you have a voltmeter(multimeter, whatever they call it now)? You can always check resistance and continuity(the setting that beeps when you touch the electrodes together) to see if the wire is good on the inside.
yes, but being that it is intermittent and only lasts for a second makes it hard to use a multimeter.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I had the same problem a year or two ago and it was the hot wire where it connects to the starter the wire had broken inside the terminal.

The following users liked this post:
EdPayne66 (10-23-2023)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:12 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master

Originally Posted by 6 gun
I had the same problem a year or two ago and it was the hot wire where it connects to the starter the wire had broken inside the terminal.
OK I will check that as soon as it stops pouring rain. A little crowded in the shed where I keep the bike. Now that I think about it I have had trouble starting it a couple of times. This may be it.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:24 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
I had the same issue on a '99 Sportster 1200 Custom (but this was a NO START issue).

As for the "long miss" or a temporary loss of power or ground, I've also had issues with the handlebar "kill switch" malfunctioning and also a loose ground wire on the inner primary, also a NO START issue.

For a while (on my 2000 Ultra) I had an issue where my bike would "cough" and it seemed to loose either power or ground but would quickly recover.
This bike had the old MM EFI System which had the ECM Stage II "flash".
I took it into the dealer for service and told them about the issue and whatever they did corrected the issue.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 11-03-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with electrical (GND) issue?