General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Decline of Harley Davidson" according to HuffPo

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:38 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Lower your prices Harley! Hey Mr. CEO, how big does your ****ing yacht gotta be?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion-5
And now for your understanding the source, the Huffpo editorial staff

Someone needs a good p***y grab...

Old 11-11-2016, 01:09 AM
Biter
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I think some younger folks miss something whenever this subject comes up. Yes, the riding dynamics of a sports bike are more exciting than that of a cruiser. Who would have thought...

But Unless HD make a sports bike then a cruiser with never perform the same as a sports bike. Using this as an argument for HD alleged loss of sales is a poor argument.

A new Streetbob cost less than most 1000cc Sportsbikes. Any new bike is expensive. I suppose a HD does hold its value much better so perhaps the entry bar is higher for secondhand bikes.

Most guys I know with Harley Davidson's started on 600cc sports bikes moved to 1000cc Superbikes and then around the age of 40 moved to HD.

The number of new riders is down greatly in the UK. It is this that has hit sales across all manufactures. A new stricter more expensive bike test (£700) plus less disposable income.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Biter
I think some younger folks miss something whenever this subject comes up. Yes, the riding dynamics of a sports bike are more exciting than that of a cruiser. Who would have thought...

But Unless HD make a sports bike then a cruiser with never perform the same as a sports bike. Using this as an argument for HD alleged loss of sales is a poor argument.

A new Streetbob cost less than most 1000cc Sportsbikes. Any new bike is expensive. I suppose a HD does hold its value much better so perhaps the entry bar is higher for secondhand bikes.

Most guys I know with Harley Davidson's started on 600cc sports bikes moved to 1000cc Superbikes and then around the age of 40 moved to HD.

The number of new riders is down greatly in the UK. It is this that has hit sales across all manufactures. A new stricter more expensive bike test (£700) plus less disposable income.
This is a fairly recent occurrence. 5+ years a 1000 could be had for $11,000 or less. When I bought my R6 in 2003 it was $7,000 and change. Almost half of what a new R6 costs.

But yes, used sport bikes are cheaper and easier to come by. A quick search of 2007 GSXR 750's have them ranging from $3,500-$7,000, which most between 4-5. A search of 2007 Street Bobs have all 3 listed at $8,000 or more. When you're younger and more worried about going fast, what's the better deal?

Old 11-11-2016, 07:32 AM
triumph900
Road Captain

The motorcycle market overall is changing. Honda is not going the renew the CBR600 because the midsized sport bike market is collapsing. On the other end of the spectrum, the bagger market is probably close to saturation. The youngsters/hipsters seem to be on a retro kick, so maybe there's a market for used older Sportsters! Harley had a real opportunity but missed the target, IMO, with the Street 500/750. Decent concept, terrible execution. If the Street had a more retro vibe instead of looking like a UJM, they might have had a winner. The new Bonneville is doing very well, due in no small part to its styling. Point is, markets and tastes change. Companies that can read the market and adapt survive, even thrive. That's the challenge for HD.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:31 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by HKMark23
This statement exemplifies HufPost's detachment from reality:

"Honda has always been famous for its cars, and few people knew of the fact that the company manufacturers motorcycles as well".

In fact:

HuffPost has always been short on fact and long on innuendo; like proffering the moonbat idea that HD is doomed because it incurred an EPA fine !!
Anyone who believes anything Huffpo writes is a moron.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,498 Likes on 16,319 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnieM
Living in a town with a huge amount of Harley's riding in the area, most are older and I am sure the price of a new one is an issue. The younger generation, pretty much the same, and they have the appeal of the go fast bikes at a lower cost. In my case, I will wrench o
n the Twinky for now and enjoy it
Pretty much this. As someone who rode inexpensive go fast bikes and thought Harleys were for old fat guys who wanted to go slow and too expensive for the lack of performance, I agree. Then again I am now old and fat and really like HD's resale value. Still like to travel faster than most but not into knee scraping anymore.

I am not surprised with Ducati's sales increase. The Diavels and Scramblers are great ideas. A great handling, cutting edge cruiser that's as fast as nearly any bike out there that you can ride all day (diavel)? The scrambler has great looks, is relatively cheap and can be ridden in the city or offroad? Yep great innovation to go along with their proven race bikes.

PS I lived in Brooksville Fl for 9 years and can confirm the average age of HD rider there.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:50 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Price has a lot to do with it. As a young person, paying over 10k for a toy is a lot. Student loans killed my generation and we don't have the income to even survive on our own. I ride a Harley that's 20 years old and that's my last Harley I will ever own. I won't spend my money on a tank badge and an overpriced motorcycle.

I find it funny when I'm on the yamaha and I ride past a group of kids they all turn to look. They could give 2 ***** about the 4 Harleys parked across the street. Kids today didn't grow up watching "Easyrider" and "Then came Bronson". Harley sold bikes on the idea that could sell a lifestyle. Most baby boomers grew up in a era where Harleys were ridden by outlaws. Harley sold that in a more reliable form. Come on a brand new flat black Harleys? What about factory "customs"?

Heritage sells to old people, performance sells to young people. When you buy a Harley, you buy a subpar bike that most owners put another 10k into with a new suspension, a 107 kit, a new compensator, and a dozen cooling fans. I for one, won't pay a premium price for a not so premium product.

What do I know, I'm just a crotch rocket thrill seeker...
My only confusion is that you ride a Yamaha and post on your distaste of HD on this forum. Would it not be easier to talk to people who ride a metric. I mean if you don't plan on buying a HD then why would anyone here care one way or the other.
As for.me. I have done very little to the 4 different bikes I have owned since 2008. They suit me just fine. I MO
You really don't need to do anything but ride these bikes.
People add just as many add one to the newest muscle cars for the same reason. I bet if you looked hard enough you can find a metric forum for your needs. Again this is just my two cents. Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by mike in dallas:
LXT (11-12-2016), MoRider (11-20-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 11:15 AM
triumph900
Road Captain

Possibly a bit more responsible reporting. Interesting that Cruiser and Sportster/Street models both show slight sales gains while the touring models sales are falling.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/1...source=yahoo-2

Old 11-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
My only confusion is that you ride a Yamaha and post on your distaste of HD on this forum. Would it not be easier to talk to people who ride a metric. I mean if you don't plan on buying a HD then why would anyone here care one way or the other.
As for.me. I have done very little to the 4 different bikes I have owned since 2008. They suit me just fine. I MO
You really don't need to do anything but ride these bikes.
People add just as many add one to the newest muscle cars for the same reason. I bet if you looked hard enough you can find a metric forum for your needs. Again this is just my two cents. Mike
I've had Harleys since I was 15 when I bought my first ironhead, I've been into Harleys longer than most of the midlife crisis on 2 wheels I see so often on this site. I will always keep my harley but as a cripple a lighter bike is flat out easier to ride. I'm also one who thinks Harleys made after 08 basically are metric bikes. I mean you use metric sized wrenches for tire swaps and other maintenance. Its basically a Honda Davidson. What makes a harley a harley is long gone. You buy an idea and lifestyle with harley. That's why old farts love them. If it wasn't for t bars and the sons of anarchy I guarantee harley would be a lot worse off with the young crowd.

There are motorcyclists and bikers. I'll take being a motorcyclist any day. Its like when a couple walks in the local shop and a goes, "she wants to learn to ride", "well here's a nice 650..", "No!, we only ride Harleys..." oh so your a yuppie then hahaha. Real motorcyclists appreciate everything and ride everything. The people who think only black and orange really don't know much about good handling motorcycles. Like the guy who bought a softail at 50, never rode anything else in his life, and will tell you it handles great. Its a joke Harleys current buisness model.

The following users liked this post:
_Gir_ (11-11-2016)

Quick Reply: "Decline of Harley Davidson" according to HuffPo