General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priorities for Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:32 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Priorities for Harley Davidson

I just got the Harley bug this year and I think it's because my priorities changed. I'm just not interested in going real fast and doing wheelies anymore. I've made a list of my priorities that I think explains this decision. Hopefully Harley Davidson will take note!

Motorcycle Priorities:
1 - Looks Great
2 - Reliable
3 - Reasonable Price
4 - Reasonable Performance

Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can scratch reasonable price and performance off the list. Harleys are expensive. They will never perform like the bikes your used to. You forgot a couple Comfort and mod ability. Harleys aren't made to compete with other brands. Other companies copy Harley. You either love them or don't. I love my Harley and I love my monster 1200s but for very different reasons. they are total opposites.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
I just got the Harley bug this year and I think it's because my priorities changed. I'm just not interested in going real fast and doing wheelies anymore. I've made a list of my priorities that I think explains this decision. Hopefully Harley Davidson will take note!

Motorcycle Priorities:
1 - Looks Great
2 - Reliable
3 - Reasonable Price
4 - Reasonable Performance
Everyone's priorities change as they go through life, just hang on they are likely to change again in a few years LOL

As to your list with the possible exception of "Reliable" the others items would not be the same for you as the next person.

Looks Great - No one determines that but yourself. What looks great to one person can be hideous to the next. There are tons of parts and accessories available from HD as well as tons of aftermarket companies that allow you to determine the look you want. No shortage of paint guys to give you any color you can dream up

Reasonable Price - Again that will be different for each person, what is reasonable for one can easily be to expensive for the next

Reasonable performance - See above, each person has different expectations

Bottom line is HD has not been known as the market leaders in performance they are what they are, I don't see that changing. Same with price, HD has never really competed with others on price and its doubtful they have any intentions to.

IMHO if you are in the market for an HD you go in knowing that it is not going to be at the top of the list in performance and it is going to go for a premium price. If you can accept that then they have lots to offer you. If you are looking for high performance or something on the lower end of the $$ scale then you are better off shopping elsewhere

Old 11-08-2016, 09:38 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Are you hoping HD will see your post and make these changes or it's what you're looking for in a Harley?

Old 11-08-2016, 09:48 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Maybe you should talk to Paul at OCC to build you something to fit your needs as Harley is more in the market of mass production

Old 11-08-2016, 10:08 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Maybe you should talk to Paul at OCC to build you something
i wouldnt let that muppet make a sandwich.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

These are the real priorities. Not saying it's wrong it's just the way it is.

(1) Profit

(2) Share holders

(3) Market share.

Last edited by dribble; 11-08-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

The way I see it, all you have to do is get HD to agree with you on your definition of "reasonable", and you'll be set to go.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I'm staying out of this one. Resonable for who? Harleys are yesterday's technology, at the futures prices. Relaible, there are more reliable bikes out there with less known problems from the factory.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON1250
You can scratch reasonable price and performance off the list. Harleys are expensive. They will never perform like the bikes your used to. You forgot a couple Comfort and mod ability. Harleys aren't made to compete with other brands. Other companies copy Harley. You either love them or don't. I love my Harley and I love my monster 1200s but for very different reasons. they are total opposites.
I did forget about Customizing! Yes, I love that. After only 2 months I got this bug going. I've purchased a tool pouch and another one on the bars. I got the 1.75" lowering kit and didn't like that. So, I bought the 1" lowering kit. A quick release windshield. And I'm looking at throw over saddlebags.
New List:
1 - Looks
2 - Reliability
3 - Customizing Options
4 - Reasonable Price
5 - Reasonable Performance

For those complaining about the price, I suggest buy used. I got mine for $3299

Quick Reply: Priorities for Harley Davidson