General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Bolts Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:05 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Breather Bolts Leak

Noticed what appears to be a leak at the two bolts that hold the backplate for my Harley Davidson Hi Flow Air Cleaner kit. There are two rubber o rings that sit in a circular groove in the backplate that bolts up to the jugs.

I replace the o rings but the leak continues for some reason. I have the bolts as tight as I dare wrench them.

What is leaking? Is this normal? I think not. Is this also an air leak into my system? See photo where arrow points. Both sides are leaking.

Breather Bolts Leak-leak.jpg

Old 11-11-2016, 06:08 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Just about to install one of these set ups, so tagging on, thanks

Old 11-11-2016, 06:09 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

That's your crankcase breather. It's not unusual to have some misting there, as long as it isn't DRIPPING I would think it's OK.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:49 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

What ever that black bracket is,between the a/c and the heads,I don't think belongs there. And no,a little seepage doesn't belong there either.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:00 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
What ever that black bracket is,between the a/c and the heads,I don't think belongs there. And no,a little seepage doesn't belong there either.
Thats the backplate that comes with the air cleaner kit. Its necessary.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:08 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
That's your crankcase breather. It's not unusual to have some misting there, as long as it isn't DRIPPING I would think it's OK.
Dickey
I suspected this might be the case. Its not dripping but its definately wet in the fins as you can see in the photo. I had hoped the o rings would seal and have no seapage. Maybe its been there and I just now noticed. The Screaming Eagle kit replaced the stock air filter housing hence the new backplate, breather bolts, etc. Is this leak a leak or by design?

Old 11-11-2016, 08:17 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pcv

The crankcase has to be able to breath otherwise you build pressure that will damage the engine. A positive crankcase ventilation system is the pressure relief system. There are holes in the heads for blow by and it carries oil from the heads. I believe the EPA says that blow by must be redirected back into the intake. You usually don't notice any dripping unless you have ridden the bike hard. I have seen bikes that will loose a pint of oil when ridden that way.
There is a vendor on this forum that sells either air cleaners that will remedy that or kits to modify your existing air cleaner to stop the oil drip.

dkcustomsproducts.com

Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the black bracket referred to in post #4 above needs to be removed. That is not the same as the backplate for the hi-flow kit. Also make sure the O rings are completely seated in the backplate or you will crush them when you tighten everything down and they won't work. There should NOT be any leakage.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

The black bracket doesn't look right to me either. The back plate should mate against the head with an O-ring between them. There should be another O-ring at the head of the bolt for a total of four O-rings (two per bolt). By adding the black bracket you have created another mating surface that needs to be sealed with a gasket or O-ring. What is the bracket for? Can you post a picture with the filter removed so we can see what the bracket is for?

Dan

Old 11-12-2016, 10:03 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Thats the backplate that comes with the air cleaner kit. Its necessary.
looks like you skipped a step in the directions. look at item 4 in the removal instructions, and item c in the diagram.

Attached Thumbnails Breather Bolts Leak-ac.jpg  

Quick Reply: Breather Bolts Leak