General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just on safety

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:27 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts
Default just on safety

Just on a safety standpoint, what do you think would be better for riding, steel toed or non steel toed boots? Please do not let looks, comfort, or cost have any thing to do with your decision.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:49 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Hello 6 gun. I suppose the more armor you got in a crash the better, otherwise I see no purpose for steel toes, its not like your shifter toe needs them. I like boots that support my ankles and have beefy tread for gravel and non slip for the wet.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:01 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I know that there might always be that one time when I wish I would have done that or I wish I would have done this but based on my feet and I've worn both styles, I prefer a pair of well built leather boots over wearing steel toed boots.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:35 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Years back the air force made the switch from steel toe to "safety toe" boots in industrial areas. I was told the change came down from OSHA but who the heck knows. At the time it was explained that steel toes were a crushing and electrical hazard under certain circumstances.

Of course, they were all "circumstances" that would probably mean you lost a foot anyway but hey, at least you'd end up alive (or so the theory goes).

Anyways... ever since then I've kinda steered away from steel toes and towards the fiberglass or carbon reinforced safety toes

Old 11-12-2016, 03:37 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I'd like to have steel toes to stop "shifter toe" on regular boots.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Steel toes suck. In the cold they are a huge issue. Outside of purpose built race or sport touring boots a leather lace up boot is you best protection. Slip on boots offer the least protection in boots. I don't know why they don't use a safety toe in purpose built race boots but the fact that they don't is indicitave that the type of injuries it protects from are a non issue.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

There's absolutely no need for a steel toed boot while riding.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,185 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Years back the air force made the switch from steel toe to "safety toe" boots in industrial areas. I was told the change came down from OSHA but who the heck knows. At the time it was explained that steel toes were a crushing and electrical hazard under certain circumstances.

Of course, they were all "circumstances" that would probably mean you lost a foot anyway but hey, at least you'd end up alive (or so the theory goes).

Anyways... ever since then I've kinda steered away from steel toes and towards the fiberglass or carbon reinforced safety toes
I used to be in the service with a guy who had something heavy fall on his foot just right. it bent the steel toe downward and he almost lost a couple of his toes. he never wore steel toes after that, strictly reinforced.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I used to be in the service with a guy who had something heavy fall on his foot just right. it bent the steel toe downward and he almost lost a couple of his toes. he never wore steel toes after that, strictly reinforced.
I've always wondered about this very thing happened. Of course, what would happen to his ties if that thing which bent steel landed on his toes? Not pretty either way I'm sure.

To the OP, I'm not a fan of steel toes. I have a nice pair of leather riding boots that work well for me.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:14 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Well if there no real purpose for steel toes while riding then I will stick to my regular boots. The co. that I work for requires them on every employee and I have wore them for the last twelve years at work, and I get a pair every year, even tho I can go two years or better on one pair. I have two pair that have never been worn. I am now thinking that I will donate them to goodwill and use the money I get back from Uncle Sam I will buy a nice pair of American made Red Wing boots for riding in.

Last edited by 6 gun; 11-13-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: just on safety