General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHXS Dealer trade in value

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 12:09 AM
wfohog
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FLHXS Dealer trade in value

I have been considering trading down form my FLHXS to a FXDWG I don't ride much any more but want to continue to be a part of the riding community, after placing price request at two different Harley dealerships I got one reply after 3 days haven't heard form ther other at all the guy that contacted me was polite and very interested in doing business but wanted me to come in and we could get some numbers going I asked him what was they going to allow me on the trade he dodged the question at first said he was movated to sell me the 2016 Dyna , again I asked him what was they going to allow me on my trade , I told him it only had 4,000 miles on it and a lots of upgrades around $4,000 worth and over three years left the on warranty, once again he wanted to know when I was coming by the dealership not awnsering my question I told him he was about 3hrs from me and I needed to have a price on my bike before I would make the drive and I only had little over two years of payments around $10,00 owed ..... Then finally he gave me the news , my bikes value on trade was $14,500 to $15,000 WOW ! I know they loose some value the day you take ownership but REALLY ....I got a descent deal on it when I got it new $21,605 a with 5yr warranty .....He continued to tell me that he was going to give me a deal on the Dyna , I explained that he wasn't even close to a fair price and I was no longer interested in doing any business with them that we was to far apart , but all he was interested in was me coming to the dealership that he could make the deal work but never offered a price on their bike, after hanging up I was pretty pissed off , I have been a HD owner for 21yrs if this is the way dealers work for their owners low balling and no replys back on purchase request it pretty sad.... after this I think I'm just going to keep what I have because it obvious the only bike that have any value is the ones sitting in the showroom floors.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:44 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

How much money were you expecting to get on a trade ? You know the $4000 in extras don't actually add any value to the bike

Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 AM
wfohog
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Never mentioned the $4000 until he made the offer , I know you eat the money you spend after the fact , a reasonable offer would have been $16,000 to $17,000 on a trade , but I bet you they damn sure will use what I have spent to pad the price on there end .

Old 11-14-2016, 01:45 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by wfohog
Never mentioned the $4000 until he made the offer , I know you eat the money you spend after the fact , a reasonable offer would have been $16,000 to $17,000 on a trade , but I bet you they damn sure will use what I have spent to pad the price on there end .
You've never mentioned what year your bike was, so how are supposed to form an opinion one way or the other?

Old 11-14-2016, 03:12 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I believe WFOHOG owns a 2015 Street Glide. Beautiful bike, but the offer of $14,500-$15,000 is right in line with what the bike is worth to a dealership that has to re-sell it.

Dealerships are in the business to sell bikes and make money. If you want a WideGlide instead of the Street, put your "Big Boy" pants on and go take your medicine.

No dealer is going to lay out money to take your trade. It's too close a deal for any dealership to be overly interested. If you were trading your Street in on a CVO Glide, they'd probably be making you think you got a great trade.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

You may get a little better numbers by going in person. Shows you are a little more serious and not a tire kicker. Pretty hard to put a real value on something they can't see, and then have to do a change when a mint bike isn't as mint as described. Their offer is a starting point. My '15 SGS started out at 15,500, ended up at 17k on trade once we sat down. Granted there is a bigger price gap with more $$ to work with when I traded.
Good luck

Last edited by CVO SG; 11-14-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:01 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Damn it! Another dealer trying to make a profit!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:29 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,145 Likes on 21,332 Posts

Originally Posted by wfohog
I have been considering trading down form my FLHXS to a FXDWG I don't ride much any more but want to continue to be a part of the riding community, after placing price request at two different Harley dealerships I got one reply after 3 days haven't heard form ther other at all the guy that contacted me was polite and very interested in doing business but wanted me to come in and we could get some numbers going I asked him what was they going to allow me on the trade he dodged the question at first said he was movated to sell me the 2016 Dyna , again I asked him what was they going to allow me on my trade , I told him it only had 4,000 miles on it and a lots of upgrades around $4,000 worth and over three years left the on warranty, once again he wanted to know when I was coming by the dealership not awnsering my question I told him he was about 3hrs from me and I needed to have a price on my bike before I would make the drive and I only had little over two years of payments around $10,00 owed ..... Then finally he gave me the news , my bikes value on trade was $14,500 to $15,000 WOW ! I know they loose some value the day you take ownership but REALLY ....I got a descent deal on it when I got it new $21,605 a with 5yr warranty .....He continued to tell me that he was going to give me a deal on the Dyna , I explained that he wasn't even close to a fair price and I was no longer interested in doing any business with them that we was to far apart , but all he was interested in was me coming to the dealership that he could make the deal work but never offered a price on their bike, after hanging up I was pretty pissed off , I have been a HD owner for 21yrs if this is the way dealers work for their owners low balling and no replys back on purchase request it pretty sad.... after this I think I'm just going to keep what I have because it obvious the only bike that have any value is the ones sitting in the showroom floors.
The only way to come out of this is to try to sell it yourself.
It is the wrong time of year to do this, but depending on where you live you might, but not likely.
Go ahead and try it can't hurt.
You can also sell it on here for free.
Take a lot of pics and post it up here in the classifieds.
Be prepared to wait.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:01 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

If I was a dealer, no way I'd give you a trade estimate over the phone. It's just the way it is, sell it on your own if you want to deal with all the drama and crying from potential buyers. Another option for you is to take off and sell your additions on the Street Glide if you still have the OEM stuff.

What if someone with a low miles 2016 Dyna called you and wanted to trade with you over the phone, how would that phone call go?

Old 11-14-2016, 10:04 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ew25950
If I was a dealer, no way I'd give you a trade estimate over the phone. It's just the way it is, sell it on your own if you want to deal with all the drama and crying from potential buyers. Another option for you is to take off and sell your additions on the Street Glide if you still have the OEM stuff.

What if someone with a low miles 2016 Dyna called you and wanted to trade with you over the phone, how would that phone call go?

Quick Reply: FLHXS Dealer trade in value