General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO pro street Breakout/S models or Wait for 2018/19 for Softails with M8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default CVO pro street Breakout/S models or Wait for 2018/19 for Softails with M8?

Just curious what people are thinking out there in the market. In light of the new M8 107 and 114 engines where does that leave the current interest in the current top dog Softails like the S models and the CVO Breakout with the TC 110 engines? I will add that CVO Breakout Pro street is one of the nicest bike ive ever seen in person come out of the Harley factory. But would you still want to buy it or ine of the S models or is the future Softails with the M8 engine more apealing? Just curious..

Old 11-14-2016, 04:01 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I wouldn't buy one strictly because of the gross depreciation that you'll see when they put a M8 in one. I bought in 2015. It's hitting my bike, but not as bad as a 2016. Plus I have no plans of letting mine go.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:04 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

maybe you should wait to 2024, they may have more updates by then.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RandyL
maybe you should wait to 2024, they may have more updates by then.
Maybe you should read my question again. I wasnt talking for me! I was wondering what the general concensus is with the bikes with the 110s and how well they will sell since the new M8s came out.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Alpinebreeze
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Low Rider S with the 110 (not a softail, I know). Even if I knew next year the new M8 would come to my bike I would have still bought it. Why? Because I thought the bike was perfect, for me, as is. When I took it for a ride it put the biggest smile on my face and in the end all I care about is the enjoyment I get out of my bike (and a few safety features like ABS). Who's to say I would have liked the ride of the bike if it had the M8. Maybe I would have waited a year and not been impressed rather than buying my dream machine now and enjoy it for years to come.

IMO riding is a sport of passion, I don't care about resale value or MPG or what's coming out next year. If you buy something that makes you want to get our on the road and ride and it puts a smile on your face every time you start it up, you'll never regret buying it, new M8 next year or not.

The following users liked this post:
boston jim (01-07-2017)
Old 11-14-2016, 05:41 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpinebreeze
I just bought a Low Rider S with the 110 (not a softail, I know). Even if I knew next year the new M8 would come to my bike I would have still bought it. Why? Because I thought the bike was perfect, for me, as is. When I took it for a ride it put the biggest smile on my face and in the end all I care about is the enjoyment I get out of my bike (and a few safety features like ABS). Who's to say I would have liked the ride of the bike if it had the M8. Maybe I would have waited a year and not been impressed rather than buying my dream machine now and enjoy it for years to come.

IMO riding is a sport of passion, I don't care about resale value or MPG or what's coming out next year. If you buy something that makes you want to get our on the road and ride and it puts a smile on your face every time you start it up, you'll never regret buying it, new M8 next year or not.
I largely agree with you, but I think it's hard not to consider resale value when discussing CVO bikes. They are considerably more expensive than the bikes we bought.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I largely agree with you, but I think it's hard not to consider resale value when discussing CVO bikes. They are considerably more expensive than the bikes we bought.
I had a 2014 CVO Roadking. In my experience even tho there expensive they hold there value pretty well. Sometimes there a better buy if they came with everything you want. If you add the same parts on a non CVO Harley you lose your *** come sell or trade time.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Is there solid confirmation that the M8 will be in the soft tails next year?

Old 11-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Qdog002
If not next year definitely 2019. That the concensus. But no confirmation for sure. But the touring line always get the new stuff first then the Softails next.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:02 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I wrecked my ride last summer and shopping for a new one. I'm taking my time due to the m8. My scenarios:

1) Get a 17 RK w/m8 and pay full MSRP+taxes. I've been to four dealers and that's the best offer I've received. Most are MSRP+$400 freight+ $1000 (or more!) setup+$200 registration+taxes. This is what you will see when the m8 hits softails and dynas. I am cash in hand, they don't care. Sales manager said to me "I can sell it to someone else for more money" and he was one of those tacking on the extra dealer fees.

2) Get a 2017 softail/dyna and watch them depreciate just as fast as the 2016 Touring did when the m8 came out. Believe me, you can get really great deals on 16 Touring.

3) What I'm most likely going to do: buy some used, loaded with mods bike and enjoy the hell out of it for a few years until all this M8 stuff settles down and then maybe get a new one.

There is some hype behind the m8, not saying it's unjustified, but I'm not willing to pay the premium to be first to do so.

Originally Posted by Qdog002
No but historically it's been within a year or two.

Quick Reply: CVO pro street Breakout/S models or Wait for 2018/19 for Softails with M8?