General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How'd you find your Riding Mentor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM
MilTransplant
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How'd you find your Riding Mentor?

As a new rider, and as a person who isn't the best at making friends I have been pondering how to go about finding a riding mentor. Does this kind of thing even exist? If not it should. By riding mentor all I mean is that seasoned rider who showed you the ropes and threw you to the wolves. Doesn't matter if it was a friend, uncle, ex-girl friend.. Whoever. Who imparted their wisdom of riding onto you in an effort to keep you from killing yourself. This is of course outside of whatever safety class you took to reduce insurance premiums. Any advice from the crowd is appreciated.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

I met my mentor in the parking lot of Home Depot. Was in the far end of the lot and my buddy Marc came out of the store and saw me practicing U turns. He rode over and asked how long was I going to be practicing? Told him about another hour. He rode home got his bike and orange cones and returned, that's when he informed that he was one of the MSF instructors. Been riding buddies since, oh that was back in March 2001!

Old 11-15-2016, 12:18 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Oh boy! Geez. I'm glad I do't live in Ga.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:50 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Walking down the street minding my own business. As I passed by a Harley dealer a salesman grabbed me and said you look like you need to get laid.

He sold me a bike. I found some women. Now Im broke.

Moral of the story. Don't let your salesman be your mentor, lol

Old 11-15-2016, 01:15 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

As already stated, take the MSF course and I'm sure that you will meet someone or some people that you will want to ride with.

Back when I bought my first bike I had NEVER ridden anything with two wheels except a bicycle.
I didn't know anyone who owned or rode a motorcycle.
This was before MSF classes.

I bought a Honda CB175 and basically learned to ride it in the dealership parking lot and on my way home.

For my first year of riding I mostly rode to work (I lived in the city) and occasionally to nearby suburbs, all by myself.

The following year I bought a real (750cc) motorcycle and started taking longer rides, but again, by myself.

During my fourth year of riding my best friend and I bought matching Honda CB450's and he was the first person that I had ever rode with.

Good luck and ride safely and defensively.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:40 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

If you're looking for instruction, take a Basic Rider's Course.

Last edited by RK4ME; 11-15-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:18 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

1, Go out riding early on weekend mornings, like 6:30-7am. When you ride by a breakfast place that has some bikes parked in the lot, stop in. In the old days you could read the odometers, now you just have to figure out if the bikes have some miles on them. When you go inside see if the riders are some 1% ers etc. if so, avoid. If they are just some guys, ask if they mind if you join them as you are new to riding and the area. I've met a lot of people that way.
2. Go to some HOG meetings and see if there are any folks that don't go on the organized ride, ask them if you could buy them a cup of coffee somewhere you'd like to pick their brains about your bike.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:03 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I never had a mentor, but what i have had is almost 50 years of experience.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

The guy I bought my first bike from said. "This is the gas, this is the brake, here's how you shift gears."

I took it from there.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:42 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

My wife's best friend was a long time Harley rider. After my BRC, he lent me a Virago
2​​​​​50 for a week. I rode it 70 miles.
Then he lent me an Electraglide Standard, and we took a 500 mile weekend trip, including interstates. I look back now and consider myself blessed, that I didn't crash that weekend. I really lacked the skills for such a heavy bike, especially on entrance and exit ramps.
I went on several trips over the next couple of years with him. I learned a lot by following his lines. Occasionally he would take off 30-40 mph over the speed limit, and I would just meet him in the next town.
Do you know anyone who rides?

Quick Reply: How'd you find your Riding Mentor?