General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Winter Doldrums Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:48 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Just lit the wood stove more for ambiance than heat. Hit the upper 20's last night and again tonight but should be in the 60's all week. Haven't seen a drop of rain in over a month though. I'll ride all winter but usually wait till the warmest part of the day and only ride long enough to get it up to normal operating temps. Just hoping it's a snow less winter this year.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:11 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

It only got into the low 70's in North Florida today so I drove my Brunton Stalker to the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge to look out over the gulf and see a few birds. No alligators. They were hunkered down due to the cold. Fellow Harley brothers and sisters caught in the grip of the first Winter storm, hang in there and know that Spring is just around the corner for most of you.

Attached Thumbnails Florida Winter Doldrums Thread?-stalker-at-st.-marks-refuge.jpg  

Last edited by captbob; 11-20-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm retired and started riding winters in the winter of 56/57. And yes that is 12 to 14K. It's called passion and living instead of looking out the window watching life go by I am out there leading the charge.

Oh, and I only ride four of the bikes for the winter riding as that is all that I set up with heated gear connectors and heated grips.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:28 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I've lived in Florida more than anywhere else in my 67+ years. Personally, other than milder winters, I would never consider Fla. a riding heaven. Flat, straight, dusty and then beastly hot in the summer. Winter? Every snowbird that can get away comes down here and packs the roads with rubber necking yeahoos that still order vinyl roof option on their Buick. I'm headed back up to the rolling hills of Pa.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:30 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
My sentiments exactly. I'll be back in SW Florida in a few weeks. I spend much of my riding in my "neighborhood" enjoying the scenery and practicing low-speed maneuvering in the various church parking lots (except Sunday mornings ) with the occasional high speed run up I-75 or US 41 to Six Bends or breakfast/lunch with my beautiful wife. I have to confess I do 'way more three-season riding in NJ, but the bottom line is that I can get to ride year-round.

There are two roads I pretty much avoid when our winter visitors are here in the winter, they are of course I-75 and Rt. 41 as much as possible. I agree there are not a lot of twistys to ride or any hills in SW Florida. But rides over toward the east coast, up around Lake 0, down to the Keys, and numerous other medium length rides from SW Florida are pretty nice in the winter. I'll stick with these smooth roads in this weather instead of the "moon surface" frozen tundra up north.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I'm retired and started riding winters in the winter of 56/57. And yes that is 12 to 14K. It's called passion and living instead of looking out the window watching life go by I am out there leading the charge.

Oh, and I only ride four of the bikes for the winter riding as that is all that I set up with heated gear connectors and heated grips.

It's your story so stick to it, but there are way too many folks on here that either live in northern Illinois, or like me have lived there, and know for a fact it would be impossible to average over a 100 miles a day riding all winter long.

Now if you don't mind I have to go next door and help my neighbor. He is changing a tire and his jack is broke. I am going to lift his 1 ton truck up in the air and hold it there for 20 minutes while he changes it. Even though I am 64 years old I try to stay in good shape and run 50 or 60 miles a day. So there!

The following 2 users liked this post by ISP-FLHTK:
Dynamick (11-21-2016), HDmikie (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
It's your story so stick to it, but there are way too many folks on here that either live in northern Illinois, or like me have lived there, and know for a fact it would be impossible to average over a 100 miles a day riding all winter long.

Now if you don't mind I have to go next door and help my neighbor. He is changing a tire and his jack is broke. I am going to lift his 1 ton truck up in the air and hold it there for 20 minutes while he changes it. Even though I am 64 years old I try to stay in good shape and run 50 or 60 miles a day. So there!
I believe lh4x4. Dude is hard core. I believe he has a Freewheeler for the nasty stuff. For some people, racking up the miles is an obsession. I would say that applies here.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:22 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

It's funny for those with mild or no winter get "booo-ed" from the states with harsh winters when we talk about it but when we talk about the heat, we don't hear much, if any, sympathy from them. Why is that?

Old 11-21-2016, 10:30 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

"It's called passion and living instead of looking out the window watching life go by I am out there leading the charge."

My passion is being comfortable & warm, sipping hot chocolate in front of a good movie, instead of freezing my *** off trying to prove something to myself. Riding in anything but t-shirt weather just ain't fun to me, and the chicks wear WAY too many clothes.

You will never hear Dickey complain about heat; EVER!

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (11-23-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
It's funny for those with mild or no winter get "booo-ed" from the states with harsh winters when we talk about it but when we talk about the heat, we don't hear much, if any, sympathy from them. Why is that?
I guess for the same reason that when somebody in a cold area complains about their riding season coming to an end, the usual reply from a southerner is "what is this winter you speak of?" or something equally lame.

Funny how that works, huh?

Quick Reply: Florida Winter Doldrums Thread?