General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knuckle warmers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:10 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Knuckle warmers

Hello,
Riding around this past year another rider made a comment about keeping his hands out of the wind while riding with ape hangers. Since I like the ride with 14" apes I was hoping for the same thing. Was about to buy a pair from another forum member, they were sold before I was able to. Did some research on them. Most of the hand guards that I saw were held by the mirror stud, which I thought was a pita. Kept researching til I found these. They are easily installed and easy to remove with out bolting them down. Went on a ride yesterday and they do help keep the cold and rain from your hands. Here is a link for anybody else interested.
http://knucklewarmers.com/

Old 11-19-2016, 06:40 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I've used hand "wind deflectors" on my bikes for over a decade.
They give you added protection from the wind, rain and even gravel, but if it's cold out (consider "wind chill" too) you really need insulated gloves or better still, heated gloves.

I've been riding since '69 and I cannot believe that I went this long without "heat"!

I now have a heated seat, heated grips (great for cool weather) heated jacket liner and heated gloves, but overall I think the greatest return for the investment is the heated gloves.

Just curious, how do you guys keep your armpits warm?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:45 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I wanted to get these so when it's cold in am I can put these on without having to wear a bulky glove. When it's warm enough I can take them off, just like soft lowers. I agree when it is down right cold I will and do wear my heated gloves. The product is easy and fast to take off or put back on. That's my whole point. The ease of it while obtaining the comfort.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,231 Likes on 5,992 Posts

I bought a pair of what I called elephant ears from local dirt bike shop. They were foam/fabric and mounted via Velcro straps. I believe Moose made these. $20 I believe was cost. On and off in seconds. Did nothing more than block the wind, which helped in cold weather. Looks goofy, but did what they were intended to.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
Hello,
Riding around this past year another rider made a comment about keeping his hands out of the wind while riding with ape hangers. Since I like the ride with 14" apes I was hoping for the same thing. Was about to buy a pair from another forum member, they were sold before I was able to. Did some research on them. Most of the hand guards that I saw were held by the mirror stud, which I thought was a pita. Kept researching til I found these. They are easily installed and easy to remove with out bolting them down. Went on a ride yesterday and they do help keep the cold and rain from your hands. Here is a link for anybody else interested.
I think the name is kind of a misnomer. they don't really do anything to 'warm' your hands, they just block the wind. but, i'm not gonna knock you for using them. i'm just glad that I live far enough south that I don't need something like that. though heated gloves would come in handy from time to time

Old 11-20-2016, 03:50 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I picked a pair from Chilhowee.com and they work pretty good. I like it when you hear a loud ping from a rock or something that would have otherwise nailed your hand.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:59 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

A couple buddies use these from street HDs to hunting RVs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Winter-Wa...-/371394680885

Old 11-20-2016, 04:43 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

I have a pair of these, for $13 I had to try 'em.
http://www.banggood.com/Waterproof-M...-p-969942.html

I've used them on a couple 35 degree mornings, when I wouldn't be able to ride otherwise. They do look goofy, and it's a little challenging finding turn signal/horn buttons. I also don't pull my hand out of them because slipping a gloved hand back in takes more effort than just grabbing the bar.

I'll probably get heated gloves next year.

The following users liked this post:
aecs (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Back in the early 90's my bike was my sole source of transportation even in the winter.

2 50ohm 10 watt resistors in parallel mounted on home made stand off brackets (10 gauge solid core copper ground wire lefty over from my base station antenna) under a pair of hippo hands.

Current draw is .55 amps at 13.8 volts with a total of 7.6 watts, (3.8 watts per resistor) of heat generated

15 degrees at 3:30 in the morning going home from work wearing nothing but cotton jersey gloves.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
J.Tours
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
Hello,
Here is a link for anybody else interested.
The price on these seems a bit high, I would have guessed $50 before I looked at the price.

Last cold weather tour I went on I used 'Aerostich Triple Digit Covers' over my regular cold weather gloves and that worked fine down to about 30 degrees. Before that I had a pair of elephant-ears (Bark Busters / Bush whackers / etc.) that cut down the windchill and extended my riding down to 15 degrees.

After trying everything under the sun I consider heated grips to be essential. The older I get the less my hands seem to heat themselves.

Quick Reply: Knuckle warmers