General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dealership Owners Are Changing Service Departments

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:34 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default New Dealership Owners Are Changing Service Departments

My 2 nearest dealerships have both changed hands recently to new but different owners. They don't seem to want to bend over backwards for us customers like the old owners did. Both have stopped courtesy pick ups and drop offs of bikes, both are offering expensive service plans which are a lot of money up front. One has a 3 year plan for $2700 which allows for unlimited scheduled services and discounts here and there, transferable to another bike if you sell, and the other is $1800 for 2 years not transferable. Supposedly they will get your bike in ahead of the general riff raff.
One has put service rates up to $109 an hour, tires for life which was offered by the old owner is not being continued, hours have been cut back too.

I'm feeling a bit pissed at how they are viewing us. Currently one has a 3 week waiting list for service because they are so short of techs. Yes I can use an Indy if I want but I'm just having a moan.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Well I suspect their tune will change when they find their new business plan isn't bringing them in in droves.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:31 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

So long as people keep going there and paying those prices they will continue doing that. That's business 101.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like Alligator Alley Harley, right? Chester's service was awesome, and a sizable reason I bought a Harley over an Indian. Never got the feeling they were trying to screw me over.

Do they really have a 3-week wait time for service now? They used to get you in same-day.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
Sounds like Alligator Alley Harley, right? Chester's service was awesome, and a sizable reason I bought a Harley over an Indian. Never got the feeling they were trying to screw me over.

Do they really have a 3-week wait time for service now? They used to get you in same-day.

Yes one is Alligator Alley, they won't pick up and deliver the bike any more, they open 9-5 but 10-3 on Sundays, prices are up and the new general manager is a snippy dude. I don't know what their wait time is, but PB Harley is about a 3 week wait. Their new VIP package will get you in within 72 hours. It never used to be like this in S Fl. Rossmeyers and Chesters were excellent.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:04 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, that sounds a bit like extortion. Pay extra just to get timely service, and at the same time if you don't you have to wait longer because someone else did? I would run away from those people.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:07 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, went to ask about the free tires and they tried selling me on the new VIP maintenance plan instead.

Pretty bummed about it, I really liked Chester's service department, they were all real nice. Didn't know they overhauled it and reduced their hours that much.

On their Facebook page they have a banner "New Owners, New Attitude". I guess that says it all right there.

The following users liked this post:
uklauren (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:09 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Wow, that sounds a bit like extortion. Pay extra just to get timely service, and at the same time if you don't you have to wait longer because someone else did? I would run away from those people.
Me too, especially if I was one of the ones getting pushed back for the premium customers.

Plus, how do they explain that? It's almost like the have to lie to some folks... or do they honestly say "Sorry, I know I said we'd get to your bike today but I had to push it back to next tuesday because I have a rush of maintenance plan customers that suddenly need oil changes."?

Old 11-20-2016, 09:11 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
So long as people keep going there and paying those prices they will continue doing that. That's business 101.

That is the $60,000 answer.

Why anyone patronizes these places is bewildering.

Last edited by 1BRAVO9; 11-20-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:12 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Me too, especially if I was one of the ones getting pushed back for the premium customers.

Plus, how do they explain that? It's almost like the have to lie to some folks... or do they honestly say "Sorry, I know I said we'd get to your bike today but I had to push it back to next tuesday because I have a rush of maintenance plan customers that suddenly need oil changes."?
Yep that is one major issue.

It sucks that both dealerships are doing this kind of thing. The next nearest dealership is 70 miles away. Maybe it's worth going to talk to them. Apparently neither will even pick up for warranty work.

Quick Reply: New Dealership Owners Are Changing Service Departments