General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YouTube videos accurate representation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,613 Likes on 749 Posts
Default YouTube videos accurate representation?

Just a question for the Community...

I've been watching some YouTube videos about motorcycle accidents and road rage, and wonder what you all thought about them.

Do you think YouTube videos in general are an accurate representation of the incidents riders get into?

Of course, the posted videos are probably only showing the bad stuff that happens, as the normal "no incident" rides are not posted. But it seems to me that in the majority of these videos, the motorcyclist was much of the problem. Either causing the incident by trolling, riding in an unsafe manner, etc. For example, in many videos, the bikers are moving in an out of traffic, switching lanes very close to other cars, but when a car does the exact same thing to the biker, they get upset.

Don't get me wrong, I love riding, and ride almost everyday, and I do realize that car drivers are often very distracted and often don't see us due to their negligence. But, what I am seeing in those YouTube videos shows that we are more often than not, a major contributor to the incident...

Thoughts?

R,
Sanjuro

Last edited by Sanjuro; 11-21-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:39 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

There is plenty of blame to go around as far as bad behavior on the road. Riders are not immune. Quiet frequently I witness riding that makes me believe that the rider will never see age 30. Automobile/truck drivers are just as bad, but are not as vulnerable. Bottom line, human conduct in general leaves much to be desired, and those of us on 2 wheels are no better.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I can't answer your question since I haven't viewed the videos in question.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Since most YouTube videos are not professionally made & just about everyone has a smart phone or some other type of video recording device now a days - I think most are real life occurrences - yet different in their own way and without seeing each video - you take everything with a grain of salt

Old 11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I rarely pass judgment on a YouTube video because it can't possibly tell the entire story. It gives us a snapshot, usually a few seconds to a few minutes long, of the occurrence. It doesn't show what may or may not have been going on immediately prior, and typically is recorded and posted by an individual with his or her own opinion about it, further skewing the presentation.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:35 AM
J.Tours
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I watch them sometime when I get bored as I find them entertaining. Most are heavily edited so I don't think to hard about them.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:56 AM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

There are three sides to every story: Party A, Party B and what actually happened. Entertainment for me. Plus I think the people filming purposely egg on the other party so they can get a more viral video for more hits.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:20 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

YouTube videos are totally fake! They're all (every single one of 'em) made up by the same crew that made up those cheesy moon landing videos and faked the Cubs winning the World Series.

Don't believe ANYTHING you see on You Tube!

Old 11-21-2016, 04:56 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
There is plenty of blame to go around as far as bad behavior on the road. Riders are not immune. Quiet frequently I witness riding that makes me believe that the rider will never see age 30. Automobile/truck drivers are just as bad, but are not as vulnerable. Bottom line, human conduct in general leaves much to be desired, and those of us on 2 wheels are no better.
^ this right here.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
Just a question for the Community...

Do you think YouTube videos in general are an accurate representation of the incidents riders get into?

Don't get me wrong, I love riding, and ride almost everyday, and I do realize that car drivers are often very distracted and often don't see us due to their negligence. But, what I am seeing in those YouTube videos shows that we are more often than not, a major contributor to the incident...

R,
Sanjuro
Yes, they are TRUE..... well, that is TRUE from the perspective of the poster....
I believe that many of the "victims" of road rage, are the cause of the road rage.....are drivers distracted? of course they are.... but so are riders.

In these "screw everyone else" days.... everybody is a victim, and says "did you see what that jerk did?".... it is very rare to hear anyone say... "I screwed up.... I made a mistake"
137,xxx miles on this bike, a similar amount on the previous bike..... I can tell you , yes traffic is messed up... but as far as drivers/riders go.... the bad distracted ones are easy to spot.... if you are looking.... and if you can see them... you can avoid them.
Deer??/ well they just do what they do, when they do it....

Quick Reply: YouTube videos accurate representation?