General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Missexeccph
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Question New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION

I bought my bike earlier this year. I got it stripped down to frame to have it customized. Its now back in my garage. Until Spring-time, I estimate using the bike for SHORT rides only 1-2 times per month (due to my "beginner" level). I have a few questions about the preferable method to preserve and maintain healthy battery life:

1) what is the difference between a Battery Charger and Battery Tender?
2) Should I hook up Battery charging source when the bike is in the garage?
3) where can I find the best step-by-step instructions for basic DIY maintenance?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

The difference between a battery charger and a battery tender are in their names. If you have a battery that is dead and won't start the vehicle, use this to charge the battery so that it can. This is assuming that the battery is good (no bad cells) and just discharged. A battery tender will maintain a full charge automatically once the battery's voltage drops below a certain point.
The best service manual for your bike can be had from your local Harley store or E-Bay possibly for a used one. There is no substitute for the real thing as I find Clymer's manuals to be a little too generic.

The following users liked this post:
Missexeccph (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:20 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Battery charger.......charges battery HARD up to about 14v (this is usually done from a very low voltage state)
Battery tender........slowly charges battery to about 14v and then shuts off...(this is usually done at about 12.5v UP)..sustains that voltage by cycling the slow charging....

Battery on a shelf with no drain can stay for many months!!
Battery in a bike with drain will decrease voltage in a few months......there you should use the tender.......

google battery maintenance ......

Missexeccph (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

This site explains charging in the Technical Info section. I leave our bikes hooked to a tender when we are not riding.
http://www.batterytender.com/
The HD Service manual will explain step by step how to maintain and repair your bike.

I'd like to see a few more pictures of your paint job
Good luck
Bill

Missexeccph (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:10 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

With a good battery, use the tender. Park it and put on the tender. Its all good.

Missexeccph (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 08:16 PM
ridealive1911
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
With a good battery, use the tender. Park it and put on the tender. Its all good.

Missexeccph (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Missexeccph
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. My late hubby handled all MC related issues and had various (European and Japanese) brand name chargers but no Harley chargers. I just ordered the HD Battery Tender for future use.

VERNAL asked about my paint job. The color is shimmery lavender with my favorite flower. It looks awesome in sunlight. Now I will do application of Swarovski crystals on the Air Cleaner Cover, in a dark Amethyst color. It has been interesting for me, with no mechanic skills, to see it come together

Attached Thumbnails New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_4077.jpg   New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_4101.jpg   New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_4181.jpg   New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_4051.jpg   New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_3652.jpg  

Last edited by Missexeccph; 11-23-2016 at 11:07 PM. Reason: photos
Vernal (11-24-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:13 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Awsome looking paint job!

Missexeccph (11-24-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Missexeccph
Advanced

Now I got the HD Battery Tender and had the harness mounted under the seat with only the "harness" available to be pushed out from the right side. So I don't have to dismount the saddle or other parts to hook up the Battery Tender. I will take a better photo tomorrow (the guy who came to do it was a HD technician so he knew all the tricks in the book.) Thanks to all who responded to my question re: Battery Charger v. Battery Tender.

I also got the HD Daymaker Headlight installed as well as the Engine Medaillon on the left side (was just black.) The Photo also shows the pivot arm cover and axle nut covers. I like my bike more and more by each addition. Its seldom I'm in Antelope Valley but I'll I'll visit the Antelope Valley HD, a pretty large dealer, this Sunday to see if I can find a few other must-have for my bike.

Attached Thumbnails New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_4286.jpg   New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION-img_4284.jpg  

Last edited by Missexeccph; 12-09-2016 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2016, 06:10 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
What he said. I leave mine on the battery tender all the time when it's parked in the garage.

Quick Reply: New Rider LOH ~~ BATTERY QUESTION