General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the fascination with "new"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I like my 6 figure income....A lot.
Right? I wouldn't give my income up for "approval". 😑

Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I am as guilty as anyone.
When I was at the dealer in 2013, I sat there with my wife swearing up a storm that this Road King was IT!!! The last and final "new bike" I was ever gonna buy. Then the M8's came out and I couldn't question my decisions fast enough. Finally my brain settled down and I realized I had the exact perfect motorcycle. And I fell back into the dream. This IS the last new motorcycle I will ever buy. It's perfect, trouble free, and has everything I ever wanted in a bike. I would NEVER forsake a guy that wants a NEW bike, cause it's HIS BIKE, HIS CHOICE AND HIS MONEY. But I couldn't be happier in "my choice".

The following users liked this post:
shekmark (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 12:28 AM
lowbed
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never owned a bad motorcycle, but when I bought my '13 SG I bought my favorite. I can buy a new one when ever I want to but I am just to damn happy with that bike to think about it at this point.

But if you want a new bike all the power to you that's what makes the world turn.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 AM
klup
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

I buy a new bike every 4 years an put an extended warranty on it because I commute 62 miles each way to work plus pleasure riding right now I have a 2015 slim with 31,000 miles usually when I trade the bike has about 90,000 on it

Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
You wanna know the shame of it?

8 out of 10 Harley "riders" would ask you what year your Softail Deluxe was.

I have to ask......

What year is it then?

Campy Roadie (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 05:06 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
.....but trading up for new bike when the current one is only 1 or 2 years old? So what's causing your itch?

Necessity and yearning. I was quite happy with my 48 but it is a solo motorcycle when one is 6' or over. My youngest who is 9 fitted as pillion but only just. The fact my older kids (riding pillion is a rite of passage in my household) who are now 25 and 21 wanted to ride pillion on my new acquisition and I wished to travel further afield meant I had to get something bigger.
My 48 was a cheap foray into the world of 'warts 'n' all' Harley-Davidson ownership. Having discovered more about the camaraderie, heritage and huge following Harley-Davidson has to offer I decided to invest more into it to get exactly where I wanted to be. This one is a keeper.

My introduction entitled "An Itch I Needed To Scratch" explains more should you be interested perhaps?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-m...o-scratch.html

Old 01-01-2017, 05:35 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Personally I think social media plays a big role with the "got to have" mentality.

Greezey Rider (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
8 out of 10 Harley "riders" would ask you what year your Softail Deluxe was.

It's worse than that. Several years ago a guy saw the bike I was riding and asked what kind it was. I said, 'it's the first year production of the FXS.' He says, "oh, is that the new Triumph they came out with?" I said, 'good eye, man.'

Campy Roadie (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Makes sense with that kind of annual mileage.

Don't know how you do it though. You guys must live on the things. I don't think I put as much on my daily driver and I have a fair sized commute each way to work. Do you even own a car/truck?
I have an 06 GMC Duramax pickup, with 63xxx miles on it.
We put the miles on the bikes, with one 5~7000 mile two week trip and a few 3000 mile trips a year. A Saturday or Sunday afternoon ride is around 300 miles. I do not ride it to work, but almost everywhere else I go be it the DR, the store or out to dinner. My wife is the same, plus she takes one or two women only trips a year.

Originally Posted by upflying
Seems like there is an inverse relationship of a Harley owner and money.
Are they truly an owner when they can't service their own bike? Are they an owner when they ride a new bike for 1500 miles and trade it in?
Are they an owner when they are dressed like a Harley fashion boutique?
Are they an owner when they can barely ride and use a Harley as a status symbol? Are they an owner when spending $10,000 in Willie G skull bling means modding and building a bike?
Are they an owner when the right twist grip becomes a crutch for a poor libido?
I was very poor when I got my first harley, and a serviceman when I got my second. I'm pretty comfortable now.

Naw, I average 24K a year on my bikes since 2009, my wife averages 27K a year since 2009.

My wife was an MSF instructor for 4 years, she just stopped teaching. Our Saturday or Sunday rides are usually around 300 miles.

I can service my own bikes, but why, for 700 dollars I can get 2 years pre paid maintenance, that is usually ten service for me in two years. Not much more than the cost of me doing my own oil change.

I did build the 117 motor in my 13 CVO King, pretty strong motor, 138 HP and 140 torque, bike looks stock except for the Apes.

However, I know plenty of the people which you talk about, they will not ride with my wife or I, we ride the curves way to fast.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:12 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Well why do you care what other people do with there hard earned money. Myob

SBRob (01-01-2017)

Quick Reply: What's the fascination with "new"?