General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hearing Loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Hearing Loss

Just got back from my Hearing Dr. Need hearing aids. It is going to be about $3K-$4K for the pair. I was told this is about average. So, I have been riding sense the 70's, never thought about hearing loss. The Dr. told me that the wind noise and loud pipes degraded my hearing over the years. I'm 75yr. now. This was a surprise to me as I never had any problems until a month ago when I noticed "Tinnitus" the ringing in the ears. If you think that you are having a problem go get your hearing checked. That $3K-$4K is not covered under most insurance or Medicare. Should would have been nice to spend it on the Bike or a road trip.
Kenny

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Black_Gold
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

Sorry to hear that (No pun intended)!

I'm 55 and have been plagued by tinnitus, for the last few years.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:23 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

This thread should be a sticky at the top!

Sorry you're going through this; I'm 55 and tinnitus is just starting to show itself a touch for me as well, there were plenty of hard rock and metal concerts back in the day I've always worn earplugs on any motorcycle I've owned, no matter how loud or whisper quiet the exhaust was or what helmet I was wearing; the wind noise is a killer on your hearing. People who are riding without hearing protection need to take note of what you're going through.

I hope the hearing aids can make a difference for you...

Old 01-29-2017, 11:39 AM
HzrRock
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a few years of severe ear ringing, I was fitted with hearing aids about three months ago. I have severe tinnitus in one ear...not quite as much in the other. The hearing aids have made a positive difference in easing the ringing. The doctor told me the devices will "retrain" my hearing. I only notice the ringing when I remove the devices when I go to bed. They are not inexpensive and I've been told they'll need to be replaced in approximately five years. Most health insurance plans do not cover the cost. I paid a little over $4k for mine. Years of riding and exposure to high frequencies in power plants led to my issue.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:50 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

There are some new ways of treating the ringing... use while alseep... lemmee look...

http://www.californiaearinstitute.co...l-stimulus.pdf

The idea is to sort of feed the nice parts of what's left of the hearing a man has, and starve the broken parts that are complaining, making the ringing "sounds". Pretty much a spectrum distortion that's somewhat effective in some people at quieting tinnitus.

Me and Honey Pie both have tinnitus...

Me? Bike and foundries and mills and, yes, power plants - I recall catching naps under 6 mw diesel crankcases...

Honey Pie? Rock music, and genetics...

Last edited by pie plate; 01-29-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:02 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My dad will turn 80 in a few days. He goes to gym 3 times a week to lift weights. I keep telling him to eat more protein, otherwise his muscles will not grow.

The following users liked this post:
toppy (03-07-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

BE SURE you go to Costco's hearing clinic before you spend the money. Really.

The following 4 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
66cruiser (01-30-2017), shekmark (01-31-2017), Skogdog (01-30-2017), toppy (03-07-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Mastiff107
Tourer
Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I am 67 now. Have had ringing in my ears continually since I was about 10. Can't remember before that. From what I've read it only bothers people who think about it, which I think is true. About every 5 years I may have trouble going to sleep and will hear the ringing and then can't get it out of my mind for a week or so. I was a cop and shot a gun every day for 20 years before anyone thought about using "ear muffs" I also rode bikes with straight pipes for 50 years and an AC Cobra who's headers dumped right under the door for 15 years. Like everything else, some things will go on some people over time, others it won't. Luck of the draw and nothing you can do about it. I'm just happy that some of my stuff still works.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts

I need to be more religious about wearing ear plugs every time I ride. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm a prime candidate for this. All my life I've rode bikes, shot guns, listened to loud music and fly planes for a living. There is nothing quiet about any of that.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,749 Likes on 6,894 Posts

OP sorry about your situation. I am 59 and while my hearing is still good I have really been plagued the last couple of years by the wind and exhaust. To the point that I finish a ride and feel like I am in a tunnel for an hour or so. I have been using ear plugs now consistently and it helps. Will probably start looking into a much better helmet as well that truely blocks the wind noise.

Good luck to you sir.

Quick Reply: Hearing Loss