General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Torque Wrenchs

Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Harbor Freight Torque Wrenchs

Had two torque wrenches (1/4" and 3/8" drive) from Harbor Freight for maybe 4 months now for odds and ends, but since I've been getting into more important projects, I was curious how well they actually did.

Always stored them as per the directions, unwound to the lowest torque setting and in the case, never dropped or abused.

No mechanical issues and they feel quite sturdy, more so than a newer Craftsman I had a year ago too (but tossed it since I never stored it right and couldn't trust it).

To test, I have a digital torque adapter from Harbor Freight and also one from ACDelco. The HF one is within 4% accurate with a minimum measurement of 30ft lbs, and the ACDelco is within 0.25% with a minimum measurement of 4ft lbs.

I actually bought the ACDelco one because I couldn't test my 1/4" one with the HF adapter since it didn't go that high.

Keep in mind I'm no expert, but it's simple enough to use a torque wrench. Here's what I found:

1/4" drive test - set to 100 in/lbs

Torqued an engine guard bolt about 10 times, always got up to about 107 on the ACDelco adapter readout before the wrench clicked. I thought 7% was pretty high, but reproduced the results about 5 more times, always the same.

Went through a couple other runs of some different torque and it always seemed to be 3-6 too high.

3/8" drive test - set to 25 ft/lbs

Again, same engine guard bolt. Torqued to about 28.5 ft/lbs before it clicked using the ACDelco adapter to measure. So that one was a little over 12% off, which is pretty crappy.

3/8" drive test with HF adapter, set to 20ft/lbs

An interesting test was when I used the HF adapter to measure torque on my lug nuts, went to 21 before it clicked.

It could be the HF adapter is just that much off too. I'd think the ACDelco one that came with a dated and signed calibration print out is a little more trust worthy.

Debating what to do next, either grab two more from HF for free and see if they are calibrated or try a Craftsman or some other mid-level brand. Snap On and the like are just not in the cards for me at this time. I figure if the HF ones are good when brand new, it could be worth just testing before using and returning when they are off.

Thought you all might find it interesting. If you want me to test anything else, feel free.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:41 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Mine are Craftsman, you can get some good sale prices. Also get some of my tools off eBay if I'm not in a hurry for them

Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Dude, that fact that your using any torque wrench at all put's you a level above a lot of back yard wrenchers by about 5 notches.
Yes, it's kind of scary to use an import inexpensive torque wrench,, but the biggest deal is yourself actually being aware that there is a need to stay somewhat near torque spec.
7%, heck even 10% off is better then posting another,,
"I stripped the threads! What do I do?" topic.

It's a real world out here, some tools cost a lot of darn hard earned money! Relax for awhile use what you have and upgrade when you can.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I use them exclusively for 20+ years. 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" along with different length handles. They are periodically tested and have always come up withing the +-2%.

I set them back to zero after each use and properly store them. H-D's torque spec on each fastener has a range from low to high that is well inside the tools spec.

I got them all at $9.95 each over the years. Now they are $12.95. Darn inflation.

I have never found any use that a umpteen dollar unit would provide one iota of better service.

All of them over the years "click" precisely at the set number.

I was taught the proper use of mics, calipers and torque wrenches as an intern at Caterpillar.

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-29-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

With the ACDelco adapter, I can actually use any wrench to hit almost exactly what I'm shooting for so it's neat to have. It takes up a lot of space though so it wouldn't be good in a tight spot.

I went over some of the stuff I hand tightened and I was pretty far out of the range. I think I'm going to return the wrenches and try out a new set to see if they are any closer considering it costs me nothing. I'd be perfectly fine with them if they were in the 4% they claim.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,125 Posts

HF is for the light who cares to be exact stuff, but for the internal parts...Never. Those parts are costly and time involved only to be repeated is a waste of time.

Wonder how long the ACDelco adapter stays in calibration?

Last edited by 13dino; 01-29-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,777 Posts

Within 3 lbs at 25 lbs. This is not Submarine work and they are $10 on sale. Had a 1/2" drive over over 3 years now. Used beams for years. They were no better. But, sure, there is much better out there but not $10.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:51 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I have two HF torque wrenches. While I've never had the calibrations checked, I've never had an issue either. However, when using them, I always...

If the torque spec is 25-30, I ALWAYS set it to 25, for the exact reason that no torque wrench is always 100% accurate, and if the fastener is torqued to a slightly lower than spec figure, then it's torqued to a slightly lower than spec figure.

On the other hand, if it's torqued to a higher than spec figure, you could be looking at a snapped off head.

I figure the first option is easier to deal with. Plus, there's a reason for blue Locktite.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:10 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I have two HF torque wrenches. While I've never had the calibrations checked, I've never had an issue either. However, when using them, I always...

If the torque spec is 25-30, I ALWAYS set it to 25, for the exact reason that no torque wrench is always 100% accurate, and if the fastener is torqued to a slightly lower than spec figure, then it's torqued to a slightly lower than spec figure.

On the other hand, if it's torqued to a higher than spec figure, you could be looking at a snapped off head.

I figure the first option is easier to deal with. Plus, there's a reason for blue Locktite.
Yep, that's what I was doing too before I decided to check. I was most concerned about issues on small fasteners like the stand offs on my Big Sucker, which I've seen people snapping those pretty easy.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I was reading reviews online for torque wrenches. One clown was complaining:

"These are crap! They're so inaccurate that I keep snapping the heads off bolts!"

My first thought was: "Dude, somebody needs to take all the sharp objects away from you, because if you can't handle a torque wrench, you're a danger to yourself."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Torque Wrenchs