General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figuring out Bike Value After Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 AM
gokmengs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figuring out Bike Value After Mods

Hi Guys its been years since I posted here, sorry if this was asked before. I have a 06 softail deluxe that I spent a ton of money on mods, actually I was inspired by a guy on this forum (nikonf8 I think) I moved to another country and importing the bike here is not an option so unfortunately I will have to sell it. Now I know you don't get much of the money back on the mods but can anyone help me figure out a value for it, or is there a formula for depreciation of money spent on mods? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Figuring out Bike Value After Mods-hd.jpg  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:54 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,528 Likes on 683 Posts

You can start to determine the value by looking at NADA and KBB. You will get an idea. Then go to cycle trader and see what they are going for. You can also look at Ebay and CL. Unfortunately, the mods don't add a lot of value. They may make it easier to sell though. Good luck to you.

The following users liked this post:
gokmengs (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

As stated above the 'mods' are not going to get you much if any extra cash. Far better if you can remove them and sell them separately where you will recoup some of the expense. Good luck with the sale...b.

The following users liked this post:
gokmengs (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:44 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Mods typically add zero to the value. If you have original parts your better off putting it back to stock and selling the mods. If not then you will more than likely eat the cost of the mods.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 AM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by gokmengs
Hi Guys its been years since I posted here, sorry if this was asked before. I have a 06 softail deluxe that I spent a ton of money on mods, actually I was inspired by a guy on this forum (nikonf8 I think) I moved to another country and importing the bike here is not an option so unfortunately I will have to sell it. Now I know you don't get much of the money back on the mods but can anyone help me figure out a value for it, or is there a formula for depreciation of money spent on mods? Thanks.
As others have said mods are almost worthless. When I traded my bike (traded in not sold outright), I figured 40% of the value of the mod, that was my initial written offer along with price I would pay for the bike. I do not remember what I got, maybe around 20%. Mods are for you, if you love them they are worth every penny. If someone else loves them it will make the bike easier to sell. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

What do you think you should be able to get for it?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

From what I've been told is to sell the parts off the bike and return bike to stock.
Mods are only worth 10% of their cost....

Old 01-30-2017, 09:00 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,051 Likes on 11,066 Posts

Mods are for you, not the next owner.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Some mods can actually lower the value for some potential buyers.
If you have all the stock parts you can put it up for sale and be open to removing items a potential buyer doesn't want ( word the add that way).
Selling what ever they don't want.

The bike I bought last year I didn't take any of the extras that were not "permanently attached" to the bike.
Wasn't anything personal, I just was not interested.
One "permanent" mod I wish I could reverse, and if I planned on keeping this bike long term I would.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by gokmengs
Formula? Sure.
Installed on a bike already? 10 cents on the dollar.
Removed from the bike and ready to be installed o someone else's bike? 40-50 cents on the dollar.

Most mods are a tremendously BAD investment.

Quick Reply: Figuring out Bike Value After Mods