General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary passing lamp kit and 4" led passing lamp

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM
milfordbell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary passing lamp kit and 4" led passing lamp

Anyone have clear directions on wiring auxiliary lighting kit and 4" daymaker passing lamps? Instructions with kit and lamp are horrible. The passing lamps only have one connector so where does ground wire connect? Do these require a seperated wiring harness? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

Welcome to the forum from central Texas.

When posting questions regarding your motorcycle, it helps if you identify the year and model of your bike. Put it in your signature like I did (at the bottom of my post).

Passing lamps are switched and wired into the accessory ignition circuit. This way they only work when the ignition is switched on and you turn the lights on with a SPST switch (included with the kit).

Many motorcycles have a hidden capped wire that you can use for the passing lamps. It is usually a yellow wire either within the fork housing, the headlight bucket or possibly under the fuel tank. You can also tap into a wire in the circuit already.

No separate wiring harness is needed. Use the bike's frame for the ground. Find a bolt that is screwed into the frame and attach the ground wire to it. There should be several to choose from under the seat.

The wiring really should be very straight forward. Find a wire in the accessory ignition circuit to use as the hot wire. Again, there may be a (yellow) wire just waiting for you to use. Attach it to the switch you will use to turn the lights on. Then attach the wire from the lights to the switch. Ground the lights to the frame and you're done with the wiring. You have to decide where to mount the switch.

Any dealer could provide you with the wiring diagram for you bike to help locate wires.

Ride safe.

Boog

Old 02-12-2017, 09:00 PM
milfordbell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Boog. I should have put in bike. It's a 2006 Fatboy CVO. I did find that I needed a wiring harness within the auxiliary lamp housing. Now, I just need a picture or a video to show me where, what wire I should splice into and connecting the switch. It's so difficult to find something that actually shows it because the diagrams that comes with everything is very lacking on this information.