General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner/rider from Arizona, needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Dheez
Advanced
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New owner/rider from Arizona, needs advice

Hi,
I just got my first motorcycle last weekend and am wondering how long it took some of you to get over the "jitters".

I purchased a 2015 Iron 883 from my local Harley store and had it delivered. The next day I went to the DMV and got my permit.

I started practicing in an empty parking lot next to my condo trying to get my shifting/braking skills better and some jerk pulls in the parking lot driving really fast and almost hit me, I lost control and flew off my bike. The fall bent my handlebars, dented my tank and scratched my exhaust. Luckily I only had a few bumps and scratches and the driver took off before I could get a plate #.

The next day I had the handlebars replaced started practicing again on local back streets and parking lots but now I have an almost uncontrollable anxiety at intersections and traffic. I live in the middle of a busy city and it seems that almost every driver is paying more attention to their cell phones than the road. I didn't realize just how often that happens until I started riding.

I have only driven about 150 total miles, maybe 5 of them have been on main streets and am wondering how long it takes most people to start feeling comfortable riding.

Any positive advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Sapman
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course yet?

Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Dheez
Advanced

Not yet, the one signed up for is next week.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

A useful rule of thumb is that it takes 20k miles under various riding conditions to become proficient.

Practice and training are great ideas, but there is no substitute for saddle time.

Give it time. We've all been there.

Last edited by 0maha; 02-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dheez (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

You got the jitters from your spill. That kind of thing will rattle anyone's cage, at least a little bit. You really should consider a beginning riders course, like the ones thru the MSF or your local Harley dealer if they offer one. You will be instructed instead of trying to teach yourself. You dump and it's not your bike.
In this area, if you bring your permit to the classes, and successfully complete the entire program, you earn your mc endorsement. Saves the aggravation of the riders test at the DMV. After all the riding classes are over, you may lose your jitters.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brewmany:
Dheez (02-10-2017), r-bar-j (02-13-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I learned today that a co-worker's husband has a 2012 bike with 900 miles on it. He "loves to ride" according o his wife, but can't get past the fear every time he gets on it. She'd love for him to ride more, but he just can't.

Some people never get over it.

I went down six months after I got my first bike (after riding dirt bikes and borrowed bikes for years). I spent four days in the hospital, seven weeks in a cast: I was back on the bike before the cast came off. 29 years, 8 months and 23 days later I still can't use my left hand to full function.

Some people can't get enough.

Take the MSF course, or the Harley safe rider's course. Get some real training, get some good gear, and most of all get some practice.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Dheez
Advanced

Thanks Brewmany

Thanks Shiny

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-13-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Smh!!!!

"Let's get a shiny nice motorcycle without a clue..."

I advocate getting a used beater bike from Craigslist and then properly learn to ride before you kill yourself.

Cotton Hill (02-12-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.

My wife wanted to ride a motorcycle but was scared to death. She grew up around horses and is an expert horseback rider. I bought her a used Honda dirt bike and we have 7 acres to ride on. She has been an excellent passenger for many years and actually payed a lot of attention to everything I do as the driver when we ride.

She was not doing well with the dirt bike. I finally asked her when she rode horses if they were in charge of her or if she was in charge of the horse. I explained to her that the motorcycle is a machine. It does not have a heart, soul or a brain. It cannot do anything at all that she does not allow it to do. Once she got it in her head that she was the boss, she was in control and applied the knowledge she had of how to control a motorcycle she really enjoyed riding on her own.

Take a good course, read and study everything you can on motorcycle safety. PRACTICE, take it slow and it will all come together if you want it to.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Dheez (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:56 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

The safety course is a BIG help.

I started in a parking lot after mine. Did figure 8s with just clutch. Eventually used some gas. The torque Harley makes isn't ideal to start on, but I did too as well. Once I was comfortable I took it down some neighborhood roads with no traffic. I will forever remember the moment I was comfortable enough to take it out properly, it changed my life.

I crashed the first time I road too.

The MSF course will teach you a tremendous amount, it's worth it's weight in gold. They will teach you how to deal with traffic, how to read cars, how to see things before they happen. As well as how to learn your bike and use it. They'll teach you how to move it. It's a lot of info and you might feel a little overwhelmed at first, but by the 3rd day it's nothing but smiles. Make sure you bring the gear they said, they'll send you home for the day if it's not up to what they required. Least my class was.

You'll feel better after the course.

Also, check the Harley dealership or find a rider who knows how to do a ride with someone learning (you don't want a normal one yet, it won't be fun and would be dangerous at this time). You can learn A LOT by watching an experienced rider as you follow along.

With that being said, I was at about 500 miles till I was decently comfortable on it. 2000 till I was actually comfortable. 6000 till I realized how I liked to ride. (All city miles). And like 10,000 before I felt somewhat experienced.

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 02-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Dheez (02-11-2017)

Quick Reply: New owner/rider from Arizona, needs advice