General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding after open heart surgery

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:08 PM
ColdEspresso
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Riding after open heart surgery

Hi all,

I got a surprise a couple of weeks ago where I was admitted to the hospital and had to undergo a quadruple bypass surgery. I am on the mend and my Ultra Classic is sitting in the garage. My question is for anyone who has had open heart surgery. How long did it take before you were able to ride? Is there anything different that you have experienced? My MD said it will be at least a month before I can drive a car. While riding in the car I am noticing some spacial issues. Please let me know what you have experienced and what it was like to get back on 2 wheels.

Thanks,

Mario

Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Sand850
Cruiser
Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

3 heart attacks, double by-pass, pacemaker, 20% ejection fraction. Turned down offer of a heart transplant.

Join a gym. I use YouFit for 10 bucks a month. Walk, walk, walk. Listen to your body but do not baby yourself. Start lifting light weights and increase as your body will let you. Work core muscles. Your objective is not to look like Arnold but to stay fit.

Good luck. PM me if you have questions.

The following users liked this post:
ColdEspresso (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:46 PM
jojo1dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

agree keep moving, start slow walking and swimming helped me alot, was back on the bike in a couple of months. still walk and swim twice a week and take a yoga class once a month.open heart was in 2000. took over a year to be 100 %

Old 02-11-2017, 08:17 PM
HzrRock
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Riding buddy had open heart a couple of years ago. His surgeon wouldn't clear him to ride for two months.

My wife had open heart this past May. Her surgeon wouldn't clear her to ride for ten weeks.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 PM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you will find that the answer won't be the same for everyone. It really depends on the condition the person was in before the surgery. I had a double by pass on 9/28/2016. I had a 90% blockage, but there was no damage to the heart. I could drive after 3 weeks and at 6 weeks the doctor cleared me to do whatever I felt like doing. That included hunting if I felt like it. My wife of course kept me in check, which I appreciated. I was back to work in 7 weeks. I was back on my Road King the Second week of January. It would have been sooner but Ohio is a little cold during the winter months. So I had to wait for a good day to take it out for a ride. Just remember, you are handling a bike that weighs in around 900 pounds. If they took veins out of your legs. This will be an issue too. They did not have to do that for me.

Like it was mentioned above, listen to your body. Go to physical therapy if they offer it. Mine was 3 times a week and they turned me lose after 3 weeks. Then continue exercising and walk a lot. Swimming is a great idea. I was one of the lucky ones. I have had zero problems after my surgery and I hope my luck holds out for a long time.

Jim

Old 02-11-2017, 09:06 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Had open heart valve & aorta replacement,single bypass & Mays procedure (to stop A-fib). Drove after 1 month, played my first gig after 6 weeks, and rode after 2 months. Coitus after 2 months too. Went to the dealership & sat on their bikes to make sure I could hold it up; didn't wanna try it with mine until I was sure.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:21 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

It will depend entirely on you and the physical shape you are able to get yourself into. I had lost almost all of my strength before the surgery (why I went to Dr.)so was off work for 4 months. It was Winter by then so did not ride for about 8 months after triple bypass on 9/11/09. I personally was not able to ride like I had before until the following year.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:46 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Maybe you should try to take your MD's advice instead of asking a forum what to do. Seriously? Go ahead and vapor lock. We're all easy enough to blame!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Maybe you should try to take your MD's advice instead of asking a forum what to do. Seriously? Go ahead and vapor lock. We're all easy enough to blame!
Really? Most of use thought he asked how long it took US. He did not ask us how long HE should wait. And until yours he got intelligent responses.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:21 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

If you are in complete control of the bike(not too weak). Ride it 'til the wheels fall off!

Quick Reply: Riding after open heart surgery