Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Time to ride in Michigan (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1159619-time-to-ride-in-michigan.html)

KozmoSoftail98 02-18-2017 06:39 AM

Time to ride in Michigan

Record warm temps happening for the next few days here in Battle Creek. I'm sitting here reading the forum getting pumped for riding. Looking at the temp and now it is 40 but heading to 60. In a bit, I will push it out of the garage, clean it up, check the fluids and hit the road. Can't wait!!

Iron25 02-18-2017 06:54 AM

that's my plan for today, as well

Sid1200 02-18-2017 07:11 AM

Pulled mine out this morning and it is waiting for me on the patio.

TinCupChalice 02-18-2017 07:45 AM

Three words: salt, salt, salt

I do believe they pay the road crews by the pound for the amount of salt that they spread up here in central Michigan. The roads are chalk white with clouds of salt billowing out behind every vehicle.

It will be a nice day; I'll have a beer and clean my garage and smirk at every motorcycle exhaust I'll hear today with the garage door open. I don't care how nice it is, until the first rains of spring my bikes stay in the garage. I don't even want to drive my truck in those clouds of salt.

But; your bike, your rules ;)

nevada72 02-18-2017 07:58 AM

Been riding dry winter roads all my riding life. You could spend an hour on your hands and knees and not find even the slightest patch of rust on my bikes. And not because of over maintenance either. I ride them.

Today will be the 3rd February day out for me and it's been great. Sixty five degrees. Woo-hoo!

rjo3491 02-18-2017 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice (Post 15946514)
Three words: salt, salt, salt

I do believe they pay the road crews by the pound for the amount of salt that they spread up here in central Michigan. The roads are chalk white with clouds of salt billowing out behind every vehicle.

Agree about riding on salty roads - powdered salt is slick as well. That said, we've had a hell of a lot of rain earlier this month down in our part of the state and the roads are pretty much salt free.....now potholes are another story. I'm going out as soon as we break into the 50's.

Have a beer and smile....my garage is a train wreck!

TinCupChalice 02-18-2017 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by rjo3491 (Post 15946775)
Agree about riding on salty roads - powdered salt is slick as well. That said, we've had a hell of a lot of rain earlier this month down in our part of the state and the roads are pretty much salt free.....now potholes are another story. I'm going out as soon as we break into the 50's.

Have a beer and smile....my garage is a train wreck!

Yea, that's the issue up here in Isabella County; we've had no rain at all yet and the road crews are nuts when they throw salt; chalk white roads and piles of salt in the corners and intersections.

My garage is actually clean and organized; I treat is like a part of the house with my toys in it so today I'll clean it a bit and then fool around out there. I've got a computer, sound system, and a beer 'fridge out there so it's a good place to hang out :D

nevada72 02-18-2017 09:05 AM

^^^THat actually sounds pretty good.

Uncle Larry 02-18-2017 09:07 AM

Pretty sure that all of us will enjoy the weather here in the mid-west today ... Probably all do it in different ways ... as stated earlier, here in south-east Michigan there is salt ( and a lot of it) all over the roads ... VERY SLIPPERY! Me. I'm gonna open up the garage, do some organizing and clean the Silverado and Ezuinox ... The scooters are already all set for better days ... I might even enjoy a cool one from the garage refrig as "Tin Cup" suggested. Stay safe everyone. :>)

RK4ME 02-18-2017 09:39 AM

My road bikes will remain parked and winterized until after the first couple of hard Spring rains. I WILL ride my DR650 because that bike is always ready to go.