General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about replacing the brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:47 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Question about replacing the brake fluid

I finally bought the HD service manual for my bike. I plan to bleed the brake fluid in my 2014 bike as it is due.

My question is that the manual says that I need some type of electronic tester because of the ABS to ensure that there is no air in the system. Have you used such a tool and is it necessary?

I've bled countless brake systems with ABS in cars and I have never needed such a tool.

By the way, the manual would be half the size it is if they didn't have countless warning paragraphs in every page. There is a section where both facing pages are nothing but warnings. What has this world come to?

Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Labrador (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 AM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

The manual says to bleed the brakes like normal, then use the Digital Tech to perform an "ABS Service", which apparently cycles the fluid from the ABS reservoir into the main line and pulls fresh fluid into the reservoir.

I want to find out if several cycles of the ignition switch would do the same thing as the "ABS Service".
If so I could flush the fluid, and a week's worth of riding would finish the job.
If not, maybe I'll flush the fluid and see if they'll let me bring it in just to have them run the service.

So far they haven't charged me for hooking up the DT for small changes like passing lamps on with brights, and I can't think of a liability problem with running a simple service, but I'll ask next time I'm in...

Old 02-19-2017, 06:51 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

The service procedure for replacement of the brake fluid is not the same as bleeding the brakes. You bleed the brakes because you got air in the system. Look again in your service manuals.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Bleed them as normal, ride and activate the ABS system a few times and bleed again.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Thank you all for your response. The link that was provided by Bone Doc had very useful information.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:01 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador

By the way, the manual would be half the size it is if they didn't have countless warning paragraphs in every page. There is a section where both facing pages are nothing but warnings. What has this world come to?
It has become a litigious society, where common sense appears to be uncommon.

In my class, I have to teach young adults how to address a letter so they can get their certificate of completion in the BRC. I have to draw a pic of an envelope on the chalkboard, with an example addressee on it...

EDIT~ And still, some don't understand...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 02-19-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: truth!
The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ

In my class, I have to teach young adults how to address a letter so they can get their certificate of completion in the BRC. I have to draw a pic of an envelope on the chalkboard, with an example addressee on it...

The flip side to that is that I routinely have to teach 60 year-old men how to update their operating system on their iPad so that they won't crash the jet into a mountain. If my family is flying, I'd rather be pilot know how to work and iPad than be able to address a letter. Skill sets change. LMAO!

Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,299 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Hate to go way out to left field but there are warnings on firearms about causing injury or death. Yes we have gone nutso.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Hate to go way out to left field but there are warnings on firearms about causing injury or death. Yes we have gone nutso.
No responsibility nowadays... just trophies.

Third degree burns don't even trump common sense. Here's a warning for a clothes iron. See the highlight...

Quick Reply: Question about replacing the brake fluid