General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been looking for the Sportster

Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 PM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
1 post, no info on riding experience or proportions.

Is this a first bike? How long riding? What is height/weight? For some people, a Sportster is a Clydesdale.
First, thank you all for taking the time to give your advice.

I am 5'5, ~140 lbs (though this goes up and down depending on the season). Been riding for 7 years. Not my first bike, but would be first HD. I like the Sportster 1200C, but like many of you have said, I should probably try other HD bikes to know better.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:55 AM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I would try the other bikes and see what you like the most. I had a 2009 sportster and rode the crap out that bike. I didn't really do much but intake, exhaust , and a tune. A year later I traded up to a night train as an impulse buy. It rides great with a passenger and a lot smoother when compared to the sportster. But the bike is bigger, fatter, and quite underpowered compared to the sportster. In addition some people have had issues with compensator sprockets, cam bearings, and scissoring cranks. The sportster may have some quirks but I feel the twin cam motor has a few more and it seems to be hit or miss if any of those problems show up

Old 02-25-2017, 05:37 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 286 Posts

OP.
There is truth to desiring a more expensive Harley as time passes.
One day you may own an Ultra.
The "joking" from your friends...well it is an inside popular Harley joke to degrade Sportsters and you may become the brunt of your friends joking.

Street Bob Dyna is close to Sportster buy in level.
As mentioned ride both.

As an answer to your question, depends on what you want your motor cycle for.
Sportsters are perfect for commute, parking, and weekend rides....one up.

If you plan to ride 2 up or interstate look to a Dyna or Softtail.

Sportster are "do it all" motorbikes and very good motorbikes.
Very few flaws...clutch plate rivets , rectifier, suspension, rocker cover leaks...not much else.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Remember to check Cycle Trader for used Sportsters before you decide to buy. You might find a bike already set up the way you'd like for about half of what you'd pay new.

Been a long time since I was on a Sporty. But, I also had 2 Buells. Let the last one go in 2012.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

The 1200C is a great bike. My brother has had one for about 8 years now, long legged and ridden 2 up just fine. They are quick and fun. He's never been unhappy with it. Only recently has he been looking at a Softtail just because he likes the look of them.

You're going to have to ride several, not just the main type like Sportster or Dyna, but each one they make. The Street Bob felt very different to me than the Lowrider. The Lowrider S felt completely different than anything else to me. Little changes make a very big deal on how the bike suits you.

Spend some time at the dealer, they should be willing to let you take a used one out for a few hours (don't expect more than a few miles on a new one). Sit on them, ride them, think about it. Buy the one that excites you the most.

Oh, and don't be afraid to check out their used bikes. There are A LOT of them right now with not a thing wrong with them. I bought a new one only because the model was brand new and a used one didn't exist. You can save a whole lot of money that way and it's less of a commitment. If you find as the miles go on and you like it you can trade it in for a new one, if you find you don't you didn't spend new money prices on it.

And again, it's important to see these things in person. On the computer I think the FatBob is one of the best looking bikes out there, and the Lowrider S not as much, in person it's completely the other way around to me and my taste. You can research it to death but until you ride them you'll never have a real answer. It's like trying to find a shoe that fits perfectly. Doesn't matter how perfect the shoe is if it doesn't fit your foot.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 02-25-2017 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hd_usa (03-08-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:53 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

That height and weight - a Sportster is a match made in heaven. The get a bigger bike stuff is noise. The bigger bikes may be more comfortable for a long ride (hundreds of miles) but for all around blasting around you won't lose.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I bought a '15 Sportster Forty-Eight (my first ever bike), and I loved it. I had it for about 2 1/2 riding seasons before trading it in for a '17 Softail Slim.

The 48 was killer, but it took a lot of time getting that bike to where I wanted it: new seat, fork springs, shocks, Stage 1, etc. It looked, sounded, and ran like a dream, but the small tank got old really quickly.

The Slim is kind of like a 48 on steroids, and I'm keeping it almost all stock, because it's just about perfect for me straight out of the box.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 800 Posts

My wife has a 2013 1200C. A couple of years ago I had some electrical gremlin hit my Dyna the day before I was leaving for Sturgis. I rode the Sportster instead, 850 miles each way and about that much while I was there. I liked it a lot, and would not hesitate to do a trip on it again.

When I was a kid they were considered full size bikes, but now people seem to feel the need to bust on them as "girls bikes" or whatever. I've personally got no prblem with them. If you like it, don't worry about what others think.

Good luck.

hd_usa (03-08-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 933 Posts

I have a '07 XL1200C, for a year & half now, my first bike. I wanted a Dyna Low Rider, but finances wouldn't allow it. I did good finding this bike, and I am very happy with it. IMO, if you're going to ride longer trips that just around town, rear shocks and a better seat are 2 requirements, and a windshield helps a lot too.

I put 15K on it so far. I expect to have it for several years, and maybe then I'll be able to swing a LR. The Softail is the other bike I lust after, btw.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 03-05-2017 at 08:16 AM.
hd_usa (03-08-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 12:05 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Took the Sportster 1200 Custom out for a test ride and it was fun to ride. I took a look a the Breakout in the show-room ... it had a killer look !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Been looking for the Sportster