General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been looking for the Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Been looking for the Sportster

Hi

Newbie here ... and have been lurking for a while.

I am thinking of getting a Sportster 1200 C. I like the bike but somehow at every visit to a few different dealers, most folks who hang out there tell me to buy a larger bike so I won't have to upgrade. Some folks suggested the Softail.

But based on my reading online, it seems that the Sportster has the best engine design.

What do you folks think ?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Howzit and Greetings from Houston and a Displaced Cut N Shoot Texan

Get what you like, you will be the one riding it.

My only advice is get the one most suited to what type of riding you intend on doing

ie .. if you plan to tour, the bags would be pretty damn convenient

Haole

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-28-2017 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jakenok (06-20-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:38 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

You want to buy what's best for you, not what everybody else thinks.

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!

Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been riding a 96 1200C for longer than I care to remember. It has taken me to Florida and back, Colorado and back and all over the eastern US. It will do what ever you want it to. That being said , it isn't the most comfortable bike for touring. It is at it's best around town and for day trips. You have to decide what is important to you and what fits your budget.

LoneWoolf (03-11-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

Welcome to the forum. My first HD was a 2016 sportster 48 but where I live fuel stations are not every few miles so I upgraded to a Dyna. If I lived back on the east coast I would of kept my sportster no problem.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:10 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Here's what I think and tell others...
Go to a dealership and see which one looks good to you, that fits you the best and buy it. Another way is if a dealership has a demo day and test ride every bike that you like and choose it that way. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_usa
Hi

Newbie here ... and have been lurking for a while.

I am thinking of getting a Sportster 1200 C. I like the bike but somehow at every visit to a few different dealers, most folks who hang out there tell me to buy a larger bike so I won't have to upgrade. Some folks suggested the Softail.

But based on my reading online, it seems that the Sportster has the best engine design.

What do you folks think ?
There are things about the way the Sportster engine is designed that are indeed superior. In particular, the way the cam design allows for more parallel pushrods lends itself to high performance applications.

That probably doesn't mean much of anything in ordinary, street applications, and means absolutely nothing unless you plan on putting in some radical, high-lift cams as part of a major hot-rodding project.

The sales guys aren't steering you away from Sportsters for your own good. They are doing it because they want to unhinge you from more of your money.

Sportsters are awesome. If that's where your heart is leaning, go for it. It's your money, your bike, your decision.

The following 3 users liked this post by 0maha:
jakenok (06-20-2017), John Hyatt (03-05-2017), MacTarnahan (03-11-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:16 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

What everyone else said; buy what suits YOU and how YOU want to ride.

No, the Sportster doesn't have a "better" engine. I'm not sure where you heard that, but neither engine would be considered "better" in my book. Ride them both, buy what fits YOU.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Sportsters are a nice bike, I've owned 2. But I will say that MOST people who buy them upgrade to a larger bike within a year or two. Again, I said MOST people. I will also tell you that for me its a 3 or 4 hour bike. Meaning after 3 or 4 hours I have had enough and want to stop. I rode mine to the beach and back several times, it's a 3 1/2 hour ride from my house. That's about the longest I would ever want to do. There are people who ride them across country and love them, just not me. Demo a few different bikes, figure out which one fits your intended riding and spend your money where ever you like.

hd_usa (03-08-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Buy what you like and best suits your needs, forget what everyone else thinks you should get as they won't be riding or paying for it.

The Sporty 1200 is a fine bike, may not be the most comfortable for touring if you are a bigger guy but the bike will be up to the task.

Next time folks are telling you to get "X" because if not you will be upgrading in a year or two ask them how many are still on the first HD they ever purchased. Some folks will buy a bike and keep it 10-20 years but just as many are constantly upgrading or changing bikes, sometimes for the latest and greatest and sometimes just because a different model catchs their eye or more fits their needs

Quick Reply: Been looking for the Sportster