Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Do I really need to use HD brand oil? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1160868-do-i-really-need-to-use-hd-brand-oil.html)

user 9370 02-24-2017 12:32 PM

Do I really need to use HD brand oil?

I'm new to Harley's and have heard several opinions about oil's. Of course, Harley says to use HD-brand oil, several long time riders recommend Mobil-1 synthetic. The shop manual I bought actually says that if HD oil isn't available, that I can substitute an oil used in diesel engines but to change it for HD oil as soon as I can.

So, my question is, may I use any oil as long as it's the proper weight and has the correct properties? Or, should I only use HD brand oil?

Thanks,

Ray

Cygnusx51 02-24-2017 12:34 PM

You do not need to use HD oil.

There's even a whole forum with probably more posts than you'll ever care to read dedicated to nothing but...you guessed it, oil.

EricRay 02-24-2017 12:36 PM

+1 on the Mobil-1 synthetic.

perki48 02-24-2017 12:38 PM

"So, my question is, may I use any oil as long as it's the proper weight and has the correct properties?"

Only answer you need is "YES"

user 9370 02-24-2017 12:41 PM

I actually tried a search before I posted and was inundated with so many hits that I ended up asking. Thanks for the information and I've bookmarks the "Oil Forum" for future reading.

Thanks,

Ray

SPRINGER 02-24-2017 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ray-CA (Post 15966707)
I'm new to Harley's and have heard several opinions about oil's. Of course, Harley says to use HD-brand oil, several long time riders recommend Mobil-1 synthetic. The shop manual I bought actually says that if HD oil isn't available, that I can substitute an oil used in diesel engines but to change it for HD oil as soon as I can.

So, my question is, may I use any oil as long as it's the proper weight and has the correct properties? Or, should I only use HD brand oil?

Thanks,

Ray

Yes, you don't need to use just HD oil, as long as it's the proper weight.

MysticTraveler 02-24-2017 12:50 PM

Quick answer... no, you do not need to use Harley-branded oil. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act, amongst other things, says if a dealer requires you to use their product exclusively to keep your warranty valid, that they have to provide it to you for free. Last time I checked, HD wasn't giving away free oil. There are many of us who believe there are better quality products at less cost than Harley-branded oil. Just make sure the specifications (weight, API grade, etc.) are consistent with what's in your owners manual.

As others have stated, there are volumes of threads in this forum on what some of those great non-HD products are. I dare say, "what's the best oil?" may be the single most common question asked on this forum. Good luck!

5150northrider 02-24-2017 01:00 PM

My 2 cents is stick with the one you start with if possible! no matter what motor you are putting oil in. and make sure the oil matches the manufacturer's suggested oil spec's it's really just that simple

HKMark23 02-24-2017 01:05 PM

Ray, in that oil section you'll often see recommendations for synthetics like Mobil-1, Amsoil, or RedLine. Then there's Spectro and others too. They're all good.

Pay attention to SAE and API numbers for guidance.

Just know there IS sometimes a difference between a brand's motorcycle or V-Twin oil and their Automotive engine oils though this may be subtle and if your pick in Primary oils results in clutch slippage, HD's Formula + seems to be the go to product for curing that.

Anyhow, that oil section of the forum will keep you busy for a while I think. :D

Mastiff107 02-24-2017 01:06 PM

Yes! You must also wear HD sunglasses; watch; gloves; jacket; pants; boots; helmet; underwear; pajamas and only clean your bike with their products. It is also highly recommended that you decorate your home with their furnishings and accessories. You didn't just buy some bike....you bought into a lifestyle so get your shit together in short order or they will send someone over to your home one evening and you don't want to know what happens then. Also you probably didn't know, being new and all that there is a requirement that you post a nude photo of your wife/girlfriend.