Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   no more credit cards at HDFS (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1162143-no-more-credit-cards-at-hdfs.html)

Toypuller 03-03-2017 10:24 AM

no more credit cards at HDFS

Logged in this morning to check that a payment posted. Notice as soon as the page opens thst Harley Financial will no longer accept credit cards as a form of payment as of April 12.

No more points on the card, I guess.

Debit or checking account only. Wonder what that will do to their default rate.

Typical Harley move, make it more difficult to buy, and to pay, then wonder why business is dropping.

ElectraGlideSteve 03-03-2017 10:31 AM

I'm guessing it just makes good business sense, as I assume they're losing a 3% or so fee with a CC payment.

If someone is making a loan payment with a CC, it would seem to me they can't afford the loan in the first place.
Wouldn't think it would be worth it just for the points, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Why wouldn't a person just have their payment electronically deducted from their checking or savings?
No charge for the service and you don't have to think about the payment, it just happens.

dandrumheller 03-03-2017 10:36 AM

Use the card to pay the loan payment, get points/rewards/miles/whatever on the card, then pay card off again the following day out of checking account. Minimal effort once you get a couple auto payments set up, and basically free CC rewards.

My wife works for a small company, the boss keeps the business CCs maxed every month, reaps the airline miles and whatever other rewards on like 100k of credit every month, but pays them off every month to avoid the interest.

Back-n-Black 03-03-2017 10:36 AM

Seem idiotic to me to pay a loan with another loan (CC).

Toypuller 03-03-2017 10:38 AM

I pay about everything with a card, then pay the card off. Cash back and rewards points add up.

And nobody gets direct access to my checking account.

As far as affording it, I keep my bike payments to one year in advance, just in case of emergency. It is the only none house related payment I have.

0maha 03-03-2017 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve (Post 15989827)
I'm guessing it just makes good business sense, as I assume they're losing a 3% or so fee with a CC payment.

Odds are an organization with their bargaining power is doing better than 3%, but your point is still valid. I'm surprised when any financial organization allows credit card payments without tacking on a service charge to cover their additional cost.

Wouldn't think it would be worth it just for the points, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
Why not? As long as you pay off the cc without incurring any additional interest costs, the points are a freebie.

Of course, if you don't pay it off monthly, the points are a sucker deal designed to fool you into thinking you aren't taking it in the ass.

1BRAVO9 03-03-2017 10:44 AM

Some people are either posting without reading anything whatsoever in this thread, or they are having a hard time grasping the concept the OP is talking about.

Toypuller 03-03-2017 10:44 AM

They charge a $3.00 service charge for CC

But they also charge like $12.00 to talk to a human.

TriGeezer 03-03-2017 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black (Post 15989848)
Seem idiotic to me to pay a loan with another loan (CC).

Read the above, before speaking. Just because you put stuff on a CC doesn't mean it's a loan. I put nearly all my expenses on my rewards Credit Cards and pay off every month. I set up my CC to automatically pay in full each month from my Checking Account.

As far as HDFS not accepting CC as payment, it's their prerogative. Why should they pay the CC fee?

5150northrider 03-03-2017 10:52 AM

Credit card companies don't let you pay there bill with a credit card! Not sure that it's any different is it?