General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley or Indian

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

I hope Indian stays around for a long time. Harley needs the competition to develope better engineered motorcycles.
In fact, HD is getting schooled now via flat track racing...

Old 03-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I hope Indian stays around for a long time. Harley needs the competition to develope better engineered motorcycles.
In fact, HD is getting schooled now via flat track racing...
Some here will say that they didn't buy their Harley based on race results. I say winning can't be bad for marketing.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (03-30-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:32 PM
open1mind
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So... I have learned a lot about my bikes thanks to this forum, and I generally dont post unless I have something useful to say. Every forum has the understandable cheerleading for their own brand-- thats mostly a good thing. Pride of ownership and enthusiasm are what powers the motorcycle culture, and that makes for better bikes of every brand.

I might be the only guy on the forum that can say this- but I currently own Harley, Victory, AND an Indian right now. As someone said prior, you cant really judge which one is "better" based upon your older bike. The "OP" mentioned his bike is 10 years old. My harleys are all 20+, and vintage by every measure. My Victory Hammer is an 07, and sadly polaris threw in the towel.

I have 2014 first edition numbered Indian Vintage. Love it, and the leather does take some TLC to keep it looking good. Is it light years better than new harleys that I have ridden? Nope. Does it have a different style/character? Yup. Would I blame someone that test drove a new harley and a new indian from buying either one? Absolutely not.

These choices are emotional and subjective. Otherwise we would all be riding 4 door economy cars. Luckily, both brands give plenty of opportunities for test rides and a chance to make an individual choice.

Take the bikes for a ride before you decide... that is the only way to make an informed choice, even if it means waiting.

The following 3 users liked this post by open1mind:
glide5904 (03-28-2017), Number 6 (08-16-2017), Tony P (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:04 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I'm not a hater on Victory or Polaris. I'm glad they are in the business. I read guys saying that they wouldn't trust Polaris because of Victory, and use that as an argument against Indian. I think that gets it exactly backwards. I give Polaris a lot of credit for holding on to Victory as long as they did.
They held onto Victory until they bought the Indian name, then ignored Victory but always promised new and exciting Victory models. When the Victory line got old and stale, sales tanked and Polaris pulled the plug on Victory just like they did with their watercraft line in 2000. A history of dumping two of their brands when the going gets tough doesn't bode well for Indian, what happens if and when Indian sales don't increase or slump....goodbye Indian?

Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Hali
They held onto Victory until they bought the Indian name, then ignored Victory but always promised new and exciting Victory models. When the Victory line got old and stale, sales tanked and Polaris pulled the plug on Victory just like they did with their watercraft line in 2000. A history of dumping two of their brands when the going gets tough doesn't bode well for Indian, what happens if and when Indian sales don't increase or slump....goodbye Indian?
I guess that's just a perspective that's lost on me. The MoCo gives me no support as it is, either. They consider my bike "obsolete".

Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by victory11
I see the Vision as function over form. I know it's hard to understand but guys who ride Victories aren't apt to hang around dealerships or worry much about accessories that are available for their bikes. I never go into any dealership to look at stuff. It's not applicable to my bike and I'm not interested in accessorizing. My Cross Country handles well, runs strong, and is capable touring bike. I appreciate different things about my motorcycle than others may about theirs. I've never ridden a Vision, but I understand when they're doing what they were designed to do, they're a great ride.
And that's another reason Victory failed, they ran their Victory dealerships like a multi brand dealership does. Victory was just another product on the floor with the ATV's, Jap bikes and Segways. Accessories were limited until the last few years. It was sell the Victory and adios from the dealership. No reason to visit again as they had nothing to offer or bring you back.

They are trying to change this with the Indian brand so it will be like the HD experience.

Originally Posted by 0maha
I guess that's just a perspective that's lost on me. The MoCo gives me no support as it is, either. They consider my bike "obsolete".
I understand as my 2004 will soon be obsolete...maybe it is already. Indian also has a history of failure that factors in the perspective.

But, personally I like the Kings Mountain Indians with the PP105 bottlecap engine.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-04-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:28 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

You're probably spot on 04. Indian is not starting off right though. They come with nice seats, good forks, and a monoshock rear suspension so those are high ticket items that we don't need to address. But we did end up buying the Bluetooth speakers, a fork bag, and some other stuff that was higher than a woodpecker's nest. Could she use new pipes? Probably, but we're in our sixties and not big on the noise. That's also a significant savings.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:48 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
I have a close friend that traded his Street Glide in for the new Chieftain, he said he will never go back, and has been been a long time die hard Harley guy. I test road several of the Indian models and they are a very well made Motorcycle.
What would you expect him to say? I have never met an Indian rider or Victory rider, for that matter, that did't say the same thing.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:53 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

Nobody wants anyone to think he got slickered on his purchase. Most studying up on a product is done after the sale. It sounds crazy but I recall that from a marketing class.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:12 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Former Harley owner, former Victory owner, and I've ridden an Indian. Fact is that The SG won't ride as soft as the Indian. But most other comparisons will be all but indistinguishable. The point has been made about Polaris. They suck *****. I wouldn't trust them with a dollar of mine, let alone 20k or more of them. I'm buying a Harley and telling P2 to burn in hell. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Harley or Indian