General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake seems useless

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Tried that brake rotor trick with a sanding block, let's just say I'm not a watch maker /repairman no more! Just kidding. When was the last time you flushed and changed your brake fluid. There have been problems with the ABS hyd. control unit corroding inside and compromising the brakes.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I just flushed all the fluid to the rear thinking it was a fluid problem made sure no air got in I was sure it was a good job

Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Think it's got something to do with the rear caliper design harley uses, rear brake on my 17 RK leaves a lot to be desired, think I'd have to literally stand on it to lock it up and I don't have ABS.
I also noticed that the rear brake alone stinks on my 17 Limited. Seems like it hardly does anything. My previous rushmore's Limited rear brake responded better. They both have ABS. Guess when Harley improved the brake system for the 2017's, they made the rear brake practically useless.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:00 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,166 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Think it's got something to do with the rear caliper design harley uses, rear brake on my 17 RK leaves a lot to be desired, think I'd have to literally stand on it to lock it up and I don't have ABS.
That might be the MOCO plan since the rear brake does very little braking anyway. An easily locked rear brake will put the inexperienced rider on the ground quick as snot. Designing in a hard to lock rear brake reduces accidents and lawsuits against moco.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:34 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
That might be the MOCO plan since the rear brake does very little braking anyway. An easily locked rear brake will put the inexperienced rider on the ground quick as snot. Designing in a hard to lock rear brake reduces accidents and lawsuits against moco.
Not a snowballs chance in hell would Harley nor ANY motorcycle company design in a defective rear brake to protect novice riders. My 2013 Anniversary Edition rear brakes work fantastic, as has every other Harley I have ever owned, but for my Buell. There is clearly a PROBLEM with a certain number of these bikes. Not an intentional weak brake system.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Why would someone buy a new touring rig and not make sure to get ABS? Cant believe they even offer the RK without it. Welcome to 2012....

Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Why would someone buy a new touring rig and not make sure to get ABS? Cant believe they even offer the RK without it. Welcome to 2012....

Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Harley is going to have to get the ABS, Traction Control and linked Braking out of the stone age before I by there brake fluid pulse system.

KTM, Ducati, The Asians. Hell yeah I will buy there advanced systems. Harleys still having problems building a V-Twin.

Thank goodness my M8 King is old school brakes.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:14 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Don't like the way ABS reacts and I really don't like how the front handle feels when it starts that pulsing sensation they do when you work the brakes. I ride mine like it's a much lighter bike and I'm not inclined to unlearn 45 years of hardwired reactions at this point in my life.

ABS is fine for the average low skilled rider and those who want it, I specifically didn't.

The following 4 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
0maha (03-21-2017), AJSHOVEL (03-20-2017), Campy Roadie (03-19-2017), upflying (03-22-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

This has been a concern of mine for a couple of years I've tried everything but rebuilding the caliper maybe I'll try that while I got it torn down maybe the piston is hanging up but I don't think so I think it's just the nature of the beast I've been riding a long time and learned to use my gears effectively

Quick Reply: Rear brake seems useless