General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Yesterday was so busy it was a blur. Rode in at 7am, and rode home after the sun was set at 8pm.

Today dawned warm. Switched from leather over to my mesh jacket.

Sometimes it is temping to not wear a jacket, but 6-7 years ago, in August, I hit the asphalt at 60 mph and my mesh jacket saved my skin, literally.

Later in the year, when it gets into the 90's and 100's, I'll get the mesh jacket wet before riding, and it does a really good job of keeping me cool.

When it's hot, what do you wear, and why?

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Mesh jacket also, for same reason, although I haven't had the pleasure of sliding on pavement. Amazing how cool an armored mesh jacket can be, especially considering how heavy it is compared to my leather. Have the pants, too, but I admit to not using them often. Always wear leather gloves, too, mesh in warmer weather. For summer grocery runs on the sidecar rig, I just grab a half pot or 3/4, and the gloves, I'd be soaked in sweat sitting at lights with the mesh jacket, that only cools when it's moving.

Got a new helmet last week, an Arai ff, most comfortable one I've ever tried on. Just for out of town mostly highway rides, would be too hot for the slow speeds and half or more of the time just sitting at lights that shopping rides have. Usually use my Bell 3/4 for that, and when I take my grandson sidecar riding on dirt farmroads, I just put the helmet in the trunk, about the only time I enjoy that wind in the hair. He has to keep his helmet on, though, and his mesh gloves.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 809 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by kid moe
One day in May in Utah, 2014.

IMHO...Utah has some of the most beautiful country the United States has to offer.
I've been there a few times but never ridden there, would like to change that one day.

Memorial Day is just around the corner which means The Indianapolis 500.
A buddy and I have been going for close to 30 years.
I rode up to the track today and parked my bike right in the middle of one of the busiest streets just outside of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Close to 400,000 people will pass by or on Georgetown Road, but today it's the calm before the storm.

My bike is facing turn 4 which is where our seats are, 2 rows from the top.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Mesh jacket also, for same reason, although I haven't had the pleasure of sliding on pavement. Amazing how cool an armored mesh jacket can be, especially considering how heavy it is compared to my leather. Have the pants, too, but I admit to not using them often. Always wear leather gloves, too, mesh in warmer weather. For summer grocery runs on the sidecar rig, I just grab a half pot or 3/4, and the gloves, I'd be soaked in sweat sitting at lights with the mesh jacket, that only cools when it's moving.

Got a new helmet last week, an Arai ff, most comfortable one I've ever tried on. Just for out of town mostly highway rides, would be too hot for the slow speeds and half or more of the time just sitting at lights that shopping rides have. Usually use my Bell 3/4 for that, and when I take my grandson sidecar riding on dirt farmroads, I just put the helmet in the trunk, about the only time I enjoy that wind in the hair. He has to keep his helmet on, though, and his mesh gloves.
Yeah, when it's hot it sucks to be stuck in traffic.

Pic from the ride home yesterday evening.

Name:  5-9-17%20Ride%20home_zps5xjwweg6.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  314.3 KB

Warm day, cool evening, perfect ride home.

Tonight is the first Wednesday in 3 weeks that it is not raining. We'll be on Beale Street in a couple of hours, enjoying dinner, people & bike watching.

Name:  5-11-16%20Beale%20Starting%20to%20fill%20up_zps1f2huasg.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  396.1 KB

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Yesterday was so busy it was a blur. Rode in at 7am, and rode home after the sun was set at 8pm.

Today dawned warm. Switched from leather over to my mesh jacket.

Sometimes it is temping to not wear a jacket, but 6-7 years ago, in August, I hit the asphalt at 60 mph and my mesh jacket saved my skin, literally.

Later in the year, when it gets into the 90's and 100's, I'll get the mesh jacket wet before riding, and it does a really good job of keeping me cool.

Kevin, I just recently purchased a 2008 Softail and had to buy everything for riding. Being your neighbor here in La you know it gets hot as can be here.
I bought a new mesh jacket and have been wearing it everyday I ride. Yesterday it was really hot and I decided to ride without it.

After reading about wetting it, I decided to give that a try and ride for 2.5 hrs today. Great idea you have there. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Mule
Kevin, I just recently purchased a 2008 Softail and had to buy everything for riding. Being your neighbor here in La you know it gets hot as can be here.
I bought a new mesh jacket and have been wearing it everyday I ride. Yesterday it was really hot and I decided to ride without it.

After reading about wetting it, I decided to give that a try and ride for 2.5 hrs today. Great idea you have there. Thanks.
Yeah, y'all get the heat and humidity even worse than we do in N. MS

If it's a shorter ride, and not too hot, I just put the top part of the jacket under the sink faucet. If it's a longer ride, or really hot, I'll put it under the shower head for a few seconds. On the road, I just dump some water on the neck and arms.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Wife's first ride on her Softail, this is also the first street bike she has rode.
Has about 5k under her belt on it so far....

Old 05-11-2017, 12:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Last night Mary and I rode the 50 or so miles to Beale Street, down by the Mississippi River in Memphis.

Weather was perfect on the way there and the ride home...with a Full Moon!

At our table right on the street. At 6:30 there was already over a thousand bikes lining Beale Street...

Name:  Beale%205-10-17%202_zpsf6k7ymha.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  240.7 KB

Grub arrived, and we're set to eat and watch the bikes and people go by.

Name:  Beale%205-10-17%201_zps0cdcbjgn.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  173.3 KB

Starting to get a little busier...

Name:  Beale%205-10-17%204_zpse5wvpwkb.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  293.4 KB

We enjoy eating at the Rum Boogie....good food, and we have a front row seat...

Name:  Beale%205-10-17%2044_zpsaiuy28vz.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  320.7 KB

...to all the bikes and folks out enjoying themselves.

Name:  Beale%205-10-17%205_zpstuocdxsj.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  214.7 KB

No pics, but the ride home after dark, with a full moon and about 70* temps, was perfect.

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
Wife's first ride on her Softail, this is also the first street bike she has rode.
Has about 5k under her belt on it so far....

Very Cool!

This pic says it all!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-15-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Motorcycles can sure bring out the smiles for kids. Not a Harley, but I got a family machine so three generations could ride together.

Name:  fall%20ride%20grins.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  141.2 KB

Even let my grandson take his Mom for a ride while I took pics. He only got to drive on a dirt farmroad, though. We all took turns in each position. She took a selfie while I was fiddling with the GoPro.

Name:  fall%20ride%202016%204.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  101.6 KB

Told him to ride by me slowly and then stop so I could get on. He did fine except for the stop part... that was somewhere over the horizon. I think his Mom told him to keep going, she was really laughing when she rode it back - and kept going the other way.

Name:  fall%20ride%202016%20%2002.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  AampM%20fall%20ride%202016%20%201200x.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  212.3 KB

I might prefer riding a Harley, but some experiences... any kind of wheels will do as long as you're in the breeze and the motor keeps turning.

The following 2 users liked this post by Imold:
DK Custom (05-14-2017), toppy (05-18-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 05:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Motorcycles can sure bring out the smiles for kids. Not a Harley, but I got a family machine so three generations could ride together.

Even let my grandson take his Mom for a ride while I took pics. He only got to drive on a dirt farmroad, though. We all took turns in each position. She took a selfie while I was fiddling with the GoPro.

Told him to ride by me slowly and then stop so I could get on. He did fine except for the stop part... that was somewhere over the horizon. I think his Mom told him to keep going, she was really laughing when she rode it back - and kept going the other way.

I might prefer riding a Harley, but some experiences... any kind of wheels will do as long as you're in the breeze and the motor keeps turning.

Priceless!

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...