General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Day in the Life...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:00 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Got new timing covers put on the Softail...

...and the Sportster.

I'm liking them!

Also, traded out the filter with my Stealth EBS for a catch-can. I think it looks better, even though it is mostly hidden.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

So, Irma has dumped some rain on us...not damaging, but enough that we're not planning on going to Beale Street tonight.

But here are some pics from last week-

Got there early.

Sunset-

The weather was very cool for this time of year. 70* when we got there, and by the time we got home it was in the low 60's. We thought it would be really crowded, but we concluded that just like when it is hot, when it is too cool, a lot of folks stay home too.

We still saw well over a thousand bikes, including this Custom...

...this three bike crew that was riding together...

...and this Big Wheel Tri-Glide.

With the cool weather, it was nice to be wearing the leather jackets instead of the mesh. We had a great ride up, good food, sights & conversation, and a fun ride home!

Kevin

Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

It's back in the 80's and I'm back to wearing my mesh jacket.

Yesterday I had a couple of appointments up in Memphis, then one down south of us in Mississippi, so I was in the shop very little yesterday, and got to ride over 200 miles!

It was a great day!

Oh! I just remembered, while posting this, on the way south in MS a semi tried changing lanes right into me.

I was in the process of passing him, and could see his face in his rear view mirror. He just did not look (nor use his turn signal).

I was far enough back that I slowed down instead of speeding up. When he was about halfway into my lane he saw me and moved back into his lane, at which time I gassed it and proceeded to get past him.

Wasn't really close, I think it scared him more than me.

Kevin

Old 09-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Rode something a little different today, a sidecar rig that corners great and cruise interstates over the limit, unlike my Ural that may need a new home...

It followed me home...

Old 09-17-2017, 06:21 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Imold
Rode something a little different today, a sidecar rig that corners great and cruise interstates over the limit, unlike my Ural that may need a new home...

It followed me home...

Congrats on the new purchase!

Are you taking this one on the upcoming trip, instead of the Ural?

Kevin

Rode for a few hours yesterday...was a nice warm day...90*. Went thru almost 5 gallons of go-juice.

Today I finally installed some Stealth LED Driving Lights on the Softail. Been meaning to do this for almost 2 years...just kept doing other stuff instead.

I went with low and tucked in...

...a few steps back.

I think I have them pretty well adjusted...

...one evening this next week I will check where they're pointed, and make any needed adjustments.

Want them to reach out and light up the road and the sides of the road, at ground level...will help on the interstate to not overdrive my headlights for any debris in the road, and will help on the back roads to see any critters that might be fixing to venture out into the roadway.

Kevin

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

A fantasy of mine.

Kevin

The following users liked this post:
graygoat (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Congrats on the new purchase!

Are you taking this one on the upcoming trip, instead of the Ural?

Kevin
Thanks. Just put insurance on it today, and it's raining. Probably not, I want to put some miles on it to see if there's something hiding in it that wants to bite me. Hondas are pretty reliable (though I've had a couple that sure weren't, including a brand new one), but before I'd take my family on a highway with it, it needs a new front tire, good tread but 10 years old and the sidewalls are cracking. Want to check the wheel bearings and get into the drive unit, check the pulley weights, bearings, and fresh lube everywhere. Most folks never think to clean out the pully weights and guides and re-lube them on scooters.

With the little riding season left here, thinking of just playing around locally, grocery runs, and putting a new tire on next spring. That 14" wheel will probably be a pita, won't fit my changer and scooter tires I've changed before were the hardest I've ever done. At least it has a new Bridgestone on the rear, could last another 5 years, if pulling a sidecar doesn't wear out the center quick like a Ural does.

It probably would be a better touring rig than the Ural, a little more room in the sidecar and handling is unreal compared to the Ural, wouldn't know it had a sidecar on it except for no leaning. No sidecar brake, but still stops better than the Ural, and it's much faster. Doesn't have the accelerate/slow down wiggle conventional motorcycle rigs have, either, way more stable. Even though it's a scooter, it feels more like riding a motorcycle than the Ural does. It's a long way from feeling like a Harley, though.

Those spots do light up the road good if you have the right kind. Don't know the brand, but my 883 has two little spots that light the road up better than the stock headlight. I should put a pair on the 1200, it's downright scary in a Minnesota night, light hardly gets off the road and with all the deer around here... haven't even had it out at night this year, keep thinking I'll put an LED headlight on it and a pair of spots. Could be life saving.

Picked up my grandson (8) from school yesterday, used the van, didn't think he'd want to ride home in the rain. Opened the garage door, he saw the new scoot, and didn't care about the rain (and temps in high 50s), wanted a ride. Neither of us got wet, windshield really works well, and I put the top up on the sidecar for him. He thinks this one is better than the Ural in every way. Really likes the acceleration and the roomier car.

Showed it to his Mom when she picked him up, and she said that's her new bike. I may keep the Ural after all...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanks. Just put insurance on it today, and it's raining. Probably not, I want to put some miles on it to see if there's something hiding in it that wants to bite me. Hondas are pretty reliable (though I've had a couple that sure weren't, including a brand new one), but before I'd take my family on a highway with it, it needs a new front tire, good tread but 10 years old and the sidewalls are cracking. Want to check the wheel bearings and get into the drive unit, check the pulley weights, bearings, and fresh lube everywhere. Most folks never think to clean out the pully weights and guides and re-lube them on scooters.

With the little riding season left here, thinking of just playing around locally, grocery runs, and putting a new tire on next spring. That 14" wheel will probably be a pita, won't fit my changer and scooter tires I've changed before were the hardest I've ever done. At least it has a new Bridgestone on the rear, could last another 5 years, if pulling a sidecar doesn't wear out the center quick like a Ural does.

It probably would be a better touring rig than the Ural, a little more room in the sidecar and handling is unreal compared to the Ural, wouldn't know it had a sidecar on it except for no leaning. No sidecar brake, but still stops better than the Ural, and it's much faster. Doesn't have the accelerate/slow down wiggle conventional motorcycle rigs have, either, way more stable. Even though it's a scooter, it feels more like riding a motorcycle than the Ural does. It's a long way from feeling like a Harley, though.

Those spots do light up the road good if you have the right kind. Don't know the brand, but my 883 has two little spots that light the road up better than the stock headlight. I should put a pair on the 1200, it's downright scary in a Minnesota night, light hardly gets off the road and with all the deer around here... haven't even had it out at night this year, keep thinking I'll put an LED headlight on it and a pair of spots. Could be life saving.
Yeah, I have the Stealth Driving Lights on a couple other of bikes and they light up the road amazingly well. With the Softail, it already had the factory passing lamps that I put LED bulbs in, which do a really nice job, but the addition of the spots was sweet while riding home last night.

These are the same lights that we used on the Project 48 bike as headlights!

Picked up my grandson (8) from school yesterday, used the van, didn't think he'd want to ride home in the rain. Opened the garage door, he saw the new scoot, and didn't care about the rain (and temps in high 50s), wanted a ride. Neither of us got wet, windshield really works well, and I put the top up on the sidecar for him. He thinks this one is better than the Ural in every way. Really likes the acceleration and the roomier car.

Showed it to his Mom when she picked him up, and she said that's her new bike. I may keep the Ural after all...
Well, that sorta does away with your whole plan from the post before.

Good to hear they both like it so much!

Kevin

Imold (09-19-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Nothing's Changed...still feel the same, pretty much every-time I ride!

Kevin

BrkOut (09-26-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Imold
another old guy

Little detour on the way home with my Grandson. If only he liked someplace better than McD's... But the weather was beautiful getting there.

Quick Reply: A Day in the Life...