General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Price on Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 623 Likes on 288 Posts

Also,, I had round foot pegs like that (the O ring style).. and with my leg forward so much it tended to slide down on the peg,, got some HD mini floorboards.. That's what you do with a Harley buy it then spend,spend,spend to make it yours.... lol Name:  IMG_20160425_193202241_zpsdz0abnor.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  225.2 KB

Old 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgun95
Just rode it, nice bike. Clutch needs to be adjusted. I am short, did not realize how "forward" the forward controls are. Reaching the brake was a chore. Different controls and a different seat would be mandatory. It was described as a CVO at first, it isn't. Going to think about it over the weekend. I think I can probably get it down to $8500 ish, has been for sale for a few months and not even a call.
Lots of people think of a Dyna as a "small" Harley, but the ones with the factory forward controls have the longest reach from seat to pegs of any Harley made.

Originally Posted by perki48
Be aware, if you want to change to "mid" controls you need different primaries. Very simple to change to footboards though.
perki48 is exactly right. Besides needing both inner and outer primaries, it's a lot of work, or high labor $ if you don't do it yourself. I replaced some forwards with factory footboards on one of my Dynas, and it does shorten things up. Simple job like he said, if you're a mechanical person.

That Wideglide looks nice.

More forward than normal? Like it was modified for someone tall?

I just looked at those pictures again, and that looks like the factory setup to me. I also just remembered that Harley makes a "Reduced Reach Forward Control" set. Between that and a reach seat you may find that it works for you.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-15-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:47 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
I just looked at those pictures again, and that looks like the factory setup to me. I also just remembered that Harley makes a "Reduced Reach Forward Control" set. Between that and a reach seat you may find that it works for you.
Picture of factory forward on new bike at dealer:

Attached Thumbnails Good Price on Wide Glide?-0452546_4.jpg  
Old 04-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Picture of factory forward on new bike at dealer:

Yep, that's a pre 2010 model. I'm not sure if the forwards are the same as the 2010 and up? Probably the same, though.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:17 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Crazy
Yep, that's a pre 2010 model. I'm not sure if the forwards are the same as the 2010 and up? Probably the same, though.
Controls are the same for 06-present.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...trol-49080-06a

Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Controls are the same for 06-present.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...trol-49080-06a

I figured that might be the case. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:21 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

It was described as a CVO at first, it isn't. Going to think about it over the weekend.
If he's been dishonest from the get go, what else is he not telling you.
I have a hard and fast rule.... once you lie to me about a vehicle your selling, I won't give you a second chance to lie again.
What if he's lying about the mileage, lots of folks keep a second speedo on a bike after its first service, then plop the factory unit back on when they sell it. I simply walk away from misrepresented deals, unless it's an obvious mistake.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I have a hard and fast rule.... once you lie to me about a vehicle your selling, I won't give you a second chance to lie again.
What if he's lying about the mileage, lots of folks keep a second speedo on a bike after its first service, then plop the factory unit back on when they sell it. I simply walk away from misrepresented deals, unless it's an obvious mistake.
Does that work on new bikes, I heard (don't know) that the ECM controlled the odometer readout on the ECM controlled bikes?

Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Does that work on new bikes, I heard (don't know) that the ECM controlled the odometer readout on the ECM controlled bikes?
Nope.
At least I have been told that you can't do it to the rushmore and newer bikes. But you can to the 2013 and older models. I found out by accident when I installed a screamin eagle speedo on my motorcycle a while back. And yes, I did all the sync up so the new speedo had the correct factory mileage as the stock unit, I took off. When it failed under warranty, I put my factory speedo back on to ride to the dealer and get a new one. Guess what, it was still set to the exact mileage it was when I took it off. It was like thousands of miles just.... disappeared off the ODO. As I shared the story to friends and buddies, the second speedo story came to life as fairly common knowledge.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 04-16-2017 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
perki48 (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 11:35 AM
sixgun95
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Bit different case, kid is selling it for his dad. Kid works on our production floor, its a case of he really doesn't know. All the front end work was done at the local dealer and he offered to go grab the receipts. Kids uncle bought it at a charity auction in 12', kid (at work) bought a sportster and his dad (owner of the wide glide) wanted a bike to ride with his son. So he got the wide glide off his brother - he obviously does not ride either.

Quick Reply: Good Price on Wide Glide?