General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended bike for commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Cortex9261
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
If you need to go a continuous 80mph everyday for an extended period then forget the KLR and DR. God knows I love them but you need a bit more. I have ridden a KLR for many miles on the highway but it is far from ideal. At those speeds you have nothing left to give. Further you need to have the experience to understand how to predict what is happening and stay the He'll out of the way.

consider a BMW 800 or Tiger 800.

But really get anything reasonable and then stay off the highway for a good long while. It is not like being in a car. I don't even like to go 80 on my BMW 1200 GSA and it can haul ***. The freeway gives you very little room for error.
70 TO 80 not just 80mph period, anything over 70 up to 80 would be if I needed to get someone off my *** or dodge a situation/traffic jerks, but not just going full throttle like that for the entire ride, I'm not stupid.

Honestly though when I get a bike, I'll be giving up the highway. I prefer to travel back roads and lesser congested interstate routes (the ones you find by chance because the map won't tell you). So, anything that can keep up with 50-65mph steady rate is more ideal than something that makes me a human missile to instant death. But! if by chance I do get on the highway, something that can keep up with traffic would be good.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cortex9261
70 TO 80 not just 80mph period, anything over 70 up to 80 would be if I needed to get someone off my *** or dodge a situation/traffic jerks, but not just going full throttle like that for the entire ride, I'm not stupid.

Honestly though when I get a bike, I'll be giving up the highway. I prefer to travel back roads and lesser congested interstate routes (the ones you find by chance because the map won't tell you). So, anything that can keep up with 50-65mph steady rate is more ideal than something that makes me a human missile to instant death. But! if by chance I do get on the highway, something that can keep up with traffic would be good.
It can just keep up with traffic. If you are going 70 and headed to 80 it will take many long seconds to do so. 65 is no issue. For that matter neither is 70-75 but you will not be able to accelerate out of a problem. Heavy traffic at high speeds is very sketchy when you can't get away if needed.

​​​​​​I am not trying to dissuade you from either a KLR or DR, I love them both. I just want you to understand the realities from someone who has spent a ridiculous amount of time on a KLR.

​​If you do decide to eventually get a KLR you will want to swap the front sprocket out for a 16T to keep the RPMs down. A thumper (big single cylinder engine) doesn't love life much over 5500 rpms.

of course you are doing things right by taking your time and you are thinking the right things I believe.

The following users liked this post:
Cortex9261 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

My commute is 110 miles/day, 100 of that is highway. I commute 2 days/week on average from about May-Nov, weather permitting. On bike days I'll take country roads for about half of the trip, because it's a lot more enjoyable than highway.

My XL1200C is a nice ride (after shocks & seat upgrade), but it some days I wish I had something heavier, like a Softail. The Sporty can get blown around on the highway sometimes. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to run the miles up commuting on a more expensive bike.

On bike days, I'm in a totally different frame of mind, very positive. Instead of coming out of work and dreading an hour ride in the cage, I jump on my bike and smile.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
Cortex9261 (04-24-2017), kokemill (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:47 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
like the KLR and the nc700x. Thanks.
I agreed with everything else! 😊 Well I mostly agreed. I think that some of the dual sport options might be too tall for a beginner. I do agree that the better bikes to learn on are something like the Honda 700s or the Street 750. My two consideration were the OPs desire for a Harley and the low price that the 2 bikes I mentioned sell for. If you are a beginner you will drop the bike, better to learn on something cheap. Some of the bikes mentioned in the thread seem like they are unobtainium on the used market.

If it has to be an HD then a used Street 750 fits the budget http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/def...OwnedInventory

In your honor I quit riding my Sportster mid morning and went ripping around the kettle on my FZ1 today, it might not be peaky but above 6000rpm it's like hitting the afterburners. Even with i43 I can't find anywhere near here to accelerate through 3rd gear legally.

I wonder if the KTM 390, Honda 500, or Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki 300ish would be the power limited FZ1 for beginners. New, but less than the set budget.

The following 2 users liked this post by kokemill:
Cortex9261 (04-24-2017), nevada72 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:45 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by kokemill
I agreed with everything else! 😊 Well I mostly agreed. I think that some of the dual sport options might be too tall for a beginner. I do agree that the better bikes to learn on are something like the Honda 700s or the Street 750. My two consideration were the OPs desire for a Harley and the low price that the 2 bikes I mentioned sell for. If you are a beginner you will drop the bike, better to learn on something cheap. Some of the bikes mentioned in the thread seem like they are unobtainium on the used market.

If it has to be an HD then a used Street 750 fits the budget http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/def...OwnedInventory

In your honor I quit riding my Sportster mid morning and went ripping around the kettle on my FZ1 today, it might not be peaky but above 6000rpm it's like hitting the afterburners. Even with i43 I can't find anywhere near here to accelerate through 3rd gear legally.

I wonder if the KTM 390, Honda 500, or Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki 300ish would be the power limited FZ1 for beginners. New, but less than the set budget.
The Honda 500 looks like a really solid choice. I figured a Wee Strom might be a cheaper version to start on after giving it some thought.

On the, I've ridden, but never owned one. I plan on changing that this year. I'm looking forward to less weight/more boost.

If you're zipping around the Kettle chances are I heard you, depending on where. Where we live we hear the bikes all day. I actually love that aspect of living in, or at least near, the Kettle.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, i don't even care for the 4.5 tank. the 3.3 is the largest tank that just looks right. my opinion only.....
Just another guy that likes looking kool pushing a 500 lb bike

The following users liked this post:
Bluesrider.df (04-30-2017)