General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended bike for commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Cortex9261
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Recommended bike for commuter?

So I've always wanted a bike!

Recently I was basically "bitten by the bike" (a 1200 custom to be exact) and now I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to turn the dream into a reality. (training, license, purchase, etc.)

I've done research for good "beginner" bikes, cruisers, touring, maybe stretching to dyna. Had my eye on the street 500, 1200 custom, 883, and others in the same class. I've been steered in the foreign bike direction for a starter bike but I always wanted a Harley.

Thing is even though there's A LOT of great looking bikes that would be great for a first bike, I have the issue of my commute and comfort to take into consideration.

I drive a little over 80miles a day for work, currently have a ford focus gets good enough mileage but am still eating through quarter tank a day. Beside that point, gas mileage for a bike is a plus but it's not the ultimate reason I want to ride. I want to experience that unstrapped freedom you just can't get with a car.

Other things to note: I'm 5'8, 250 something lbs, completely happy if a bike can get me out of rush hour if needed (70-80mph max) but I usually coast at 60-65...and I live in Ohio (so when the weather gets bad I'll be reverting to my car)

So! Saying all of this ask if:

I know you have to find the bike that speaks to you and that everyone is different but general recommendations and advice would help.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:30 PM
          upflying
          Seasoned HDF Member
          Received 26,179 Likes on 11,109 Posts

Gas mileage is not the reason to commute on a bike. Many cages get equal or better motorcycle mpg.
          All my commuting was in the SF Bay Area where the only reason to commute on a bike is to lane split.
          Biggest issue to consider is what you wear when you get to work. Coat, ties, slacks and shiny shoes do not go well when riding to work. Unless your head is shaved, you will have helmet hair at work.
          Any other reason to commute is personal.

Last edited by upflying; 04-18-2017 at 02:33 PM.
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM
          Evoken
          Tourer
          Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I really enjoy commuting on the bike. It gives you a chance to unwind after dealing with the huddled masses for 8+ hours. If you are dead set on a harley, then an 883 would not be a bad starter bike, in my opinion. They are pushing the streets 500,750 as a "beginner" bike, but they still cost 7k! You can find a decent 883 for a couple grand if you look hard enough. As far as comfort, there are so many seat/control combinations available for Harleys, you can make it comfortable for you easily.

The following users liked this post:
          Cortex9261 (04-18-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:09 PM
          Mike Lawless
          Outstanding HDF Member
          Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I commute by bike nearly everyday. Bike = 40mpg, truck = 12mpg. As Upflying points out, that is not a good enough reason to buy a bike on its own. I already have the bike, and I'm not buying another car just to commute.

My commuter is a '14 Triumph Bonneville T100. I bought this bike as a weekend toy before I bought my Deluxe. It has been relegated to commuter duty. It replaced a very nice '02 883 Sportster.

If I had it to do over again, I shoulda kept the Sporty and not have bought the T100. I could always sell the T100 and get something else. If that were to happen, I'd try to find a bike at 500cc or under. Several are out there. I kinda liked the street 500 when I saw it at the dealer. But not enough to pop for a new one

Cortex9261 (04-18-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM
          dsigrist
          Tourer
          Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The perfect commuter bike is the one that fits your needs. My daily rider is a Road Glide Ultra but that's just me. As Upflying said a big part of the decision will come down to what all you'll need once you get to work. While backpacks and strapping things to luggage racks may fill the bill, having saddle bags and or a tour pak will give you more options.

Think about the traffic you'll face, be it stop and go or open road. If it's stop and go the new Milwaukee 8's are a big improvement when it comes to heat management. But if you'll be carving country roads something smaller and more nimble might be your choice. Also keep in mind how and where you might want to ride it on the weekends.

You're going to get 100's of suggestions but in the end it will all come down to personal choice and what you are looking for in a ride.

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by dsigrist:
          Cortex9261 (04-18-2017), grumble (04-23-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:25 PM
          tvon
          Tourer
          Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I would consider how much you are going to be sitting in traffic. Liquid cooled might be the way to go if you are going to be sitting in heavy highway or city traffic. Are you a city commuter or highway?
          Also, the smaller bikes, in my experience, aren't great highway bikes. Wind really becomes a factor. I almost never ride my sporty on the highway, if I do, its short distances.
          And i'd say for anything you get.. go to a dealer and sit on the bikes you are considering first. Its easy to research online but putting your butt in the seat is a great way to see what feels right. Theres a used place near me that has a huge warehouse full of used bikes, all makes, and they let you wander around and just sit on them. I quickly found out what bike I liked that way.

Cortex9261 (04-18-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:27 PM
          r1cochet
          Tourer
          Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

You didn't mention your age or insurance cost. That is the biggest factor on choice of bike, at least for us up here in Ontario.

If you want to go Harley, for 5'8"/250+, a Sportster may be on the small side - a Dyna Street Bob may be the ideal commuter bike.

If you're unsure of your riding skills, a used Japanese bike may be best to minimize the cost of dropping the bike. Several choices in the cruiser line or you may wish to go to more of a standard upright bike. If you find a good deal, you could most likely sell it for almost what you paid for it a year later.

Cortex9261 (04-18-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:40 PM
          DanHappy
          Seasoned HDF Member
          Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info here like you saw so far.

Like all others said, all depends on your needs. I ride 60 miles round trip. Half side roads and half highway. A agree that a smaller bike on the highway is hard but doable. All depends on what your comfy on. Gas mileage on a sportster sucks. You will be filling the tank every other day. I did for 5 years and it got old real quick. Whatever stuff you need when you get to work will help you decide they type of bike too. Every day for me is a change of pants, sometimes my laptop and lunch. I work in an office. So I carry slacks. I wear jeans on the bike. I would never use a backpack. I would be scared it would roll and roll me over on my side! Haha

Cortex9261 (04-18-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:52 PM
          toppy
          Road Captain
          Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

street 750 is a great commuter,
          i do 60+ miles a day on freeways in LA.. it holds up great

Cortex9261 (04-18-2017)
          Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM
          hd4evr2008
          Grand HDF Member
          Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Don't let other people decide what YOU should ride. At 250 lbs. you're not Goliath, and a 750 Street, or a Sportster, will haul you around just fine. Ride a few different bikes you're interested in, then YOU decide what's best for your commute.

The following 2 users liked this post by hd4evr2008:
          Cortex9261 (04-18-2017), toppy (04-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Recommended bike for commuter?