General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauge

Is the ness kit the best for a twin cam? A bit pricey but looks nice. Not sure I trust the plastic hose on the $60 kits. Open to options but may just keep watching eBay for a good deal on a used setup

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

What model bike? I had one on my 93 Evo FXR and it worked fine but you really couldn't view it well while riding. Mine was attached to the rear rocker box cover and was more a cool thing to look at off the bike.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:02 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser

03 lowrider. Yeah, I'm not sure how easy I can see it and have even thought of mounting it without the hose right on the fitting. Check it on startup etc

Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Just say no to cheap oil lines, do it right Jerzee Customs; I'm running their JC-9100TC, it comes with the Russell braided stainless steel line.

http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDProducts.htm

Simple install, I've never had one issue with Jerzee Customs oil pressure gauges, and each on of my HD's has had one on it; very well made and they look great

Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Just say no to cheap oil lines, do it right Jerzee Customs; I'm running their JC-9100TC, it comes with the Russell braided stainless steel line.

http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDProducts.htm

Simple install, I've never had one issue with Jerzee Customs oil pressure gauges, and each on of my HD's has had one on it; very well made and they look great

I am old school. I like gauges. The digital one on my 15 RGS, accessed through the "Information" button drives me crazy. I've been thinking about adding an external oil pressure gauge for some time, and the Jerzee Customs' one looks to be the nicest. Does the oil line replace the factory sending unit or does it screw into a port by the oil filter? I would imagine if it replaced the sending unit it throw the factory electronics into a real tizzy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser

for mine there is a T fitting so the sending unit for the light still works. I would think your is similar, perhaps identical.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
I am old school. I like gauges. The digital one on my 15 RGS, accessed through the "Information" button drives me crazy. I've been thinking about adding an external oil pressure gauge for some time, and the Jerzee Customs' one looks to be the nicest. Does the oil line replace the factory sending unit or does it screw into a port by the oil filter? I would imagine if it replaced the sending unit it throw the factory electronics into a real tizzy. Thanks for sharing.
With the Jerzee kit you remove the oil pressure switch and mount it to the end of the Jerzee fitting, the Jerzee fitting is then installed in place of the pressure switch in the case; the bike will retain the use of the pressure switch...

You can see the fitting in this image:

Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
With the Jerzee kit you remove the oil pressure switch and mount it to the end of the Jerzee fitting, the Jerzee fitting is then installed in place of the pressure switch in the case; the bike will retain the use of the pressure switch...

You can see the fitting in this image:

Thanks, TinCupChalice!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,727 Likes on 6,186 Posts

The liquid-filled $30 gauge that comes off a fitting on the rear rocker box of my Shovelhead leaked all the glycerin out. I fixed the leak and re-filled the glycerin. In the meantime, I found a similar gauge in the air tool aisle at Menards for $4. The two biggest differences are that the Menards gauge isn't liquid-filled nor is it chrome (black). I put the Menards gauge on the bike just to plug the hole (as it were), and it works perfectly well, so I left it. I can put the old one back now if I need to.

The following users liked this post:
mjrfd99 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM
BobbyH83
Cruiser

What about the Dakota digital gauge? Then there is no line right just wires from the sending unit?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge