Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Motorcycle jack (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/117153-motorcycle-jack.html)

MT 06-04-2007 03:27 PM

Motorcycle jack

ANyone have any info on the Torin "Big Red" motorcycle jack at Pep Boys? Can pick one up for $50 after rebate.

King FLH 06-04-2007 03:45 PM

RE: Motorcycle jack

Yeah, I have one. And I posted about the good deal on it here, and was criticized for recommending a cheap chinese made jack to hold up my priceless Harley.
Well, I have had no problem with my PB jack at all. Go for it.

DirtyDave 06-04-2007 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MT

ANyone have any info on the Torin "Big Red" motorcycle jack at Pep Boys? Can pick one up for $50 after rebate.
I have an expensive one (wife bought it) and I use my home made one more. Home made = two 4X4's nailed to gather with some pipe fittins and threaded pipe. (tip -round of the edges of the 4X4 that roll on the ground and against the frame.)

Saddle Sore 06-04-2007 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

I have an expensive one (wife bought it) and I use my home made one more. Home made = two 4X4's nailed to gather with some pipe fittins and threaded pipe. (tip -round of the edges of the 4X4 that roll on the ground and against the frame.)

Could you give more DIY info, please?

Is it like this:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

MT 06-04-2007 04:56 PM

Dave,
I've heard of that method too. Did you just secure them with nails or bolts and then secure a handle? Does it seem to be stable enough?

DirtyDave 06-04-2007 04:56 PM

That is pretty close to what I have. Mine is 20 years old and oil stained, but that is basicly it.

DirtyDave 06-04-2007 05:00 PM

Dave,
I've heard of that method too. Did you just secure them with nails or bolts and then secure a handle? Does it seem to be stable enough?
I'll try to take some digital pics tonight and post them if interested. It works great, really fast very steady. Only picks one tire up at a time (depending on were you place it) I used it the first time I tore my bike down to the frame. I think I have some pictures of that too.

MT 06-04-2007 05:07 PM

Post pics if you can

Bobby Joe 06-04-2007 06:18 PM

Shoot those pictures out here I'll buy the Rasin pie

vertigo14 06-04-2007 07:17 PM

why would anyone put a 18k bike on a 40-140 dollar chinese jack that needs straps to hold it on?

i might for a dirt bike...or f' that just steal(or ask) a milk crate from the back of them supermarkets... :)

remember eh?

DirtyDave 06-04-2007 09:20 PM

Here are some bad pictures. (Remeber this thing is at least 10 years old and very used)

[IMG]local://upfiles/26045/B36DA61B308D4C1CA54237EA258D4233.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26045/8851626F42224F95B930ED878F2810C2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26045/127F071298244395803C86D8355477BA.jpg[/IMG]

chriscalabro 06-04-2007 09:43 PM

I would go with the Sears Yellow. It has proven to be solid and reasonably priced.

ironbyron 06-04-2007 10:49 PM

It won't fit under my Lowrider! Needs special spacer for all Dynas. Have to drive up on a brick...pain in the A$$

[IMG]local://upfiles/24908/757625D5DFD9460FB1C21FC90B3F731B.jpg[/IMG]

Sk1dM4rk 06-05-2007 02:03 AM

I don't know about the one at PepBoys, but I bought a Goodyear from Sams Club. If it is similar quality, you will be fine I think. Mine is a little high and takes 2 people. One to stand the bike upright and the other to slide the jack under and line it up with the Dyna Adapter blocks. I am going to fab something this summer so that I can do it myself. Some sort of ramp with a cutout for the jack.

Harleygal 06-05-2007 08:18 AM

Jabo made the one with the 2X4's and pipeand it's very stable! ;)It was easy to make and use and cost about $30 in materials. We put a piece of carpet over the edge that the bike rests on so didn't need to round the edges. I'm super paranoid about anything that might hurt the bike and I really like this thing! Makes it so much easier to detail those spoked wheels and clean underneath!;)

italian biker 06-05-2007 10:34 AM

I have the Larin jack that I bought from Sams club. It worked well on my 93 intruder, but thebeams that the bike rest on were just a hair narrower then I trusted to lift the new bike. I was able to find a local steel place and had two pieces of steel channel cut to 16 inches each, now it's wide enough for a large touring bike. Cost me 30 bucks instead of buying a new jack. Glued some hard rubber padding(anti fatigue mat) on the new beams. Some of the jacks out there only have 11 or 12 inch beams, and then a tie down point welded at the ends. It was these tie down points that were making contact with my frame, so, it would have scratched the heck out it, plus the bike wasn't actually sitting on the beams. My suggestion is to make sure the jack has beams that will suit your current bike safely with extra space on the beams, and a bigger bike if it's in your future.

Manish_Hawg 06-05-2007 11:41 AM

why would anyone put a 18k bike on a 40-140 dollar chinese jack that needs straps to hold it on?

i might for a dirt bike...or f' that just steal(or ask) a milk crate from the back of them supermarkets... :)

remember eh?
$89 and no issues.....

Road_Clam 06-05-2007 12:56 PM

I don't have the "Big Red" but I do have this Craftsman one:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&ihtoken=1

Best dam $150 bucks you can spend on a Harley as far as doing all your maintenence, and detailing (especially the WHEELS!!). Getting the bike 16" up in the air is AWESOME for working on it!!!

dumoore 06-05-2007 01:06 PM

I have the J&S...no straps, no problems. Very stable.

cadillac 06-05-2007 01:14 PM

Skidmark - My FXDS has been lowered and I too had problems getting the lift under the bike alone until one of the HDF members gave this suggestion. Cut 3 2x8's about 10" long each. Bevel 1 edge of each one. Take the 2 beveled pieces and put the bevel under the front and rear tire and drive up on those. The 3rd 2x8 is to put under the jiffystand. Now you should be able to align the jack and get the bike on it by yourself. It really helps!

Bob

Sk1dM4rk 06-05-2007 04:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. 'preciate it!

King FLH 06-05-2007 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

remember eh?

See what I mean?? Well guess what. I don't have to strap anything. Why don't you go strap on your dildo.

vertigo14 06-05-2007 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: King FLH

remember eh?

See what I mean?? Well guess what. I don't have to strap anything. Why don't you go strap on your dildo.

See what you mean? you dont have to strap anything? why dont I strap on my dildo?

If I had a strap-on dildo I would shove it down your throat....

No I dont see what you mean.. why dont you enlighten me instead of frued slipping your passtime with strap-on dildos.

khyber 06-05-2007 08:34 PM

got the Torin Big Red, works fine. no problems. lifts the bike up, keeps the bike up, sets the bike down. pretty simple process.

rs

myglide 06-05-2007 09:09 PM

I have one from Habor Freight. Works good for me.

[Hooligan] 06-05-2007 10:16 PM

remember eh?

Your bike looks pretty strapped down in this picture in your gallery?

this is your bike?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...x/untitled.jpg

vertigo14 06-05-2007 10:22 PM

yeah thats when I used the sears jack.. i had to strap it down to get it stable enough to work on it (the sears red one)
besides it wont exactly fit under my bike and I had to lift it up to get teh jack to stuff under..and it was even tougher when useing the softail frame protectors to get the jack away from the rear shocks

so I bought a J&S jack, slips under with the orange hd frame protectors and lifts teh bike without me holding the bike or lifting it up off teh jiff
while its in the air I dont need to strap it down, even if I totaly remove the front end(including the wheel) (making it pretty heavy in the rear.. still was stable)

[Hooligan] 06-05-2007 10:25 PM

i like that paint btw