General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over My Head?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

+1 to the consensus...definitely don't ride it home - that would indeed be over your head, (or anyone's who's never ridden). Once you get it to familiar surroundings, ease yourself in to it - local putts, off hours for traffic, and as you get more comfortable, start graduating in to longer rides and busier times of day. I started on A FatBoy. It actually is a great bike to learn on as it has a very low center of gravity. Take it easy and you'll be fine. Have fun!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:38 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I'll be the voice of the opposition here. I believe in starting with a smaller bike like a 500cc. You can pick up a used one on Craigslist for cheap then ride it for a while until you become proficient. Unless you wreck it or beat it up, you should be able to sell it for around what you bought it for.

There is no need to hurry. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by the wild hog
Welcome and I recommend you trailer it home, then start riding it. Good luck.
This. A trailer is a safer way to get it home. Then learn at your own speed.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 AM
klup
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 46 Posts

Trailer it home and learn to ride at your own pace first ride on a major hi way is not no way to learn

Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Getting a smaller bike is an epic waste of money.

jakenok (04-26-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:35 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

+1 on the trailer. Don't put yourself in a bad spot. Take your time. Learn at your own pace. The MSF course is a good starting point, but I wouldn't advise anyone with your experience driving through DFW area 3 hrs.

Enjoy that Fatboy, and welcome to the forum.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:18 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I learned to ride a motorcycle on the worst possible choice of motorcycles... Before I even knew how to drive a car. It was a custom big twin, with a hand shift and foot clutch, a ridgid frame and stretched girder front end.

But, I'm an idiot. I was a real idiot when I was a teenager.

My wife took the MSF course last year. Besides marrying me, she is a much smarter than I am... Who couldn't be? But, I bought her a (used) 1200 Sportster... Mostly because it was the one she liked the best, and seemed most comfortable on when sitting in the showroom. The Sportster is a bit zippier than the MSF bikes and certainly even a little zippier than my Softail. She's still not very confident on the bike. So much so, we are going to try private lessons from an MSF instructor. I honestly wish I had purchased her a smaller (slower, really) bike and am still contemplating it.

However, I would not give up having learned on a bigger, difficult to ride bike, for anything. Big Twins are all I've ever owned for my personal riding (Although, I ride the Hell out of my wife's 48 every chance I get). I am comfortable on most bikes and that is a nice feeling.... After 35 years of riding.

There needs to be a certain fear of riding... Not really fear of riding, but lack of ego, maybe? But, there also needs to be a certain confidence in the reality that just about anyone can ride. Riding can truly be one of the more joyful things in life. It is very freeing and can really help to reduce stress. I feel it should be thought of as something to look forward to, not dread.

That confidence comes with experience (or the idiocy of youth). If you feel you need more confidence in your abilities, by all means find a 'temporary learner' bike. Nothing wrong with that! Dropping a $500-1000 bike at low speed is a lot less painful (ego and wallet) than the Fat Boy! But, also realize, many have gone straight from flat foot to big bikes as well. In the end, the decision is yours... But, in the end, all I personally hope is that anyone who wants to learn to ride, learns to ride and finds the some of the joy I have found riding.

(Sorry for being long winded....)

Old 04-24-2017, 05:19 AM
Brsblls
Road Captain

Received 441 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Phone a friend to ride it back or trailer if have any doubt. Plenty of time to practice in lots and around neighborhood, dont practice in traffic.
As many others have said, this!

In February I trailered a 2005 Dyna back from 2 hours away, took the MSF course, started to practice and take short rides with friends on the beautiful back roads of central NC. Was comfortable very quickly, and continue to gain confidence and skill. Congrats, and ride safe!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I'll be the voice of the opposition here. I believe in starting with a smaller bike like a 500cc. You can pick up a used one on Craigslist for cheap then ride it for a while until you become proficient. Unless you wreck it or beat it up, you should be able to sell it for around what you bought it for.

There is no need to hurry. Good luck.
If you think you're in over your head; you are.

Do what Baka is suggesting. Starting on a heavy and ponderous bike will short change you, you'll miss important handling skills that will take years (if ever) to learn on a motorcycle north of 700 pounds. There are very few around here that will agree with this opinion. However, there is a huge difference in perceived proficiency vs actual proficiency. Ego sometimes turns a blind eye to one's true skills and ability. Never take advice on what bike is best as a starter from someone who can't pass the DMV license test ten out of ten times with the bike they ride on a daily basis (as a minimum).

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.
baka1969 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I've done the Tarrant County to Austin ride many times. TRUST ME, trailer the bike home. The bike is a big bike. Once home, find a place and hone your chops. If your still uncomfortible, go buy the small bike and put some miles on it. BTW, Im sure your friend means well but he cannot tell you what YOU are comfortable with. None of us can. If you buy the small bike, no shame n that either. Many of us either went that route or started out riding dirt bikes. Good for you for taking the MSF class

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over My Head?