General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down shifting to help brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You, of course, need to down shift as you approach a red light and such so you will be ready if it turns green and such but brake pads and rotors are much more economic than all that silly clutching, shifting and unclutching's. And also all that wear and tear on the transmission and engine.
If you keep a bike for the long haul, just down shift and use the brake. If you just keep it a few years and drive it like on a rally track, use the transmission. If you do the latter, not sure why you would bother to do any maintenance, however.
^^^^ This. I'll preface this with full disclosure that I am NOT an expert in ANY WAY: I downshift as necessary obviously to deal with decreases in speed, but when coming to a stop light I brake, clutch, downshift while breaking until the bike stops. I keep it in 1st (unless it's a long light) so I can be at the ready for people not paying attention behind me. I fail to see how using the engine/transmission to slow the bike down at every stop sign is good for longterm engine wear.

If I am wrong or doing something wrong.....please let me know. (for real)

Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I always use the engine to slow down and brakes to stop. For those that say it causes excessive wear on the clutch / engine, the clutch on my Wide Glide lasted 150K miles and the bottom end hasn't been touched at 160K.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by DIABOLUS
Brake pads are cheaper to replace than an engine. We're not talking about a diesel here with a J brake... downshift to be in the right gear/rpm range, not to reduce your speed.
Originally Posted by Afishinado
Nope, never to help slow down. That's what the brake pedal is for.
Originally Posted by Iron25
I always downshift when coming up to a light/slowing down. That way Im in the right gear to get going again
All of these.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
it shouldn't hurt the engine as long as you're keeping it off the redline.

"Engine braking" won't hurt a thing...people who say you shouldn't do it, never rode a drum brake (front and back) bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
jakenok (04-26-2017), tar_snake (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 11,074 Posts

Brakes are cheap compared to gears, synchros and clutches.
I downshift just before coming to a complete stop.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

The only times that I use "engine braking" is on long declines to help keep my bike at a lower speed and to prevent excess wear on brake pads.

Like most of you, I "downshift" as my speed decreases to stay in an appropriate gear as I need for acceleration. My bike (as many others these days) has ABS, which takes much of the need for thinking out of the hands of the rider and only requires pressure on the brake pedal/lever to function as designed.

I remember back many years ago when an old guy was giving me some tips on driving a truck that had an unsynchronized, dual range transmission and air brakes. His saying has remained with me ever since: "Gears are for pulling and brakes are for stopping".

With an unsynchronized transmission it's imperative that you always have your transmission in gear, and with the engine RPM's matched with the speed of your vehicle, where all modern vehicles with manual transmissions are synchronized and can easily be shifted into most any gear at any speed within reason.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 04-26-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
"Engine braking" won't hurt a thing...people who say you shouldn't do it, never rode a drum brake (front and back) bike.
And that is the point, isn't it? There was a time when motorcycle brakes weren't very good, and downshifting to engine brake was almost a necessity. Today, with good disc brakes, it's more a matter of matching engine speed to expected road speed when you're able to accelerate.

As for me, I downshift, but mostly for the latter reason. Still, I have no hard and fast rule, it depends on the situation.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
My bike (as many others these days) has ABS, which takes much of the need for thinking out of the hands of the rider and only requires pressure on the brake pedal/lever to function as designed.

having abs brakes does not take anything away from the rider. in fact, the only time the abs should even be noticeable is if you have done something wrong. otherwise, you should brake the same as you always have.

The following users liked this post:
Russ103 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

There's the issue of "We do what we practice."
In that, using engine braking often, buttresses a habit that could cause a problem should an emergency braking situation arise. It may cause a delay in brake application when the chips are down.

Also, there may be increased wear/stress on the primary chain adjustment device. This is why I never "rev" at a redlight. (Well, that, and it heats up the topend even more.)
This may be offset by the lack of wear in the clutch though.
Rev matching has been shown to reduce driveline course over time. (Except for that pesky primary chain adjustment device.)

Old 04-26-2017, 12:31 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,255 Likes on 8,518 Posts

What deadhawg snd Bone Doc said. Didn't read anything after that

Quick Reply: Down shifting to help brake