General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I hate FF helmets because I fill closed in. I wear a 3/4 with a face shield.
That pretty much sums up how I feel. FF is not doable as I wear glasses. Have a couple modular helmets but only wear them in very cold weather but do not care how they cut out too much of my peripheral vision. My favorite 3/4 has built in shield along with sun screen.

In spite of recent rant about proper gear, I have totaled 2 bikes in my life, both Harley and never got a scratch on a helmet. No excuse I know but both times I had on full leathers head to toe. Had I not things would have been considerably different as to how I fared the outcome.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:34 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Try a dual sport helmet if you hate FF.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
That pretty much sums up how I feel. FF is not doable as I wear glasses. Have a couple modular helmets but only wear them in very cold weather but do not care how they cut out too much of my peripheral vision. My favorite 3/4 has built in shield along with sun screen.

In spite of recent rant about proper gear, I have totaled 2 bikes in my life, both Harley and never got a scratch on a helmet. No excuse I know but both times I had on full leathers head to toe. Had I not things would have been considerably different as to how I fared the outcome.
Never had a problem wearing sunglasses in my FF helmets, so thinking glasses would also work fine.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

Arai Quantum 2 Jolly Roger

Attached Thumbnails Helmets-img_1165.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 656 Posts

arai signet q. Arais are a little more money for a current one but you can get a closeout fairly reasonably. Like half off if you get lucky. They make helmets for several head shapes. The most important thing to know for a recommendation is your head shape. Buy the wrong lid and youll either be too big or have a red spot on your forehead

Old 04-26-2017, 07:48 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme

Sound like candidates for a crossover like the Nolan N40 Full.

With the chin guard in place it passes the ECE and DOT test requirements for a full face.

As far as feeling closed in in a FF - Field of View is one of the biggest claims to fame for the N40 Full. I can attest to that. I bought 3 new helmets recently to try out (kept the winner and returned the other 2). The N40 Full was one of those helmets. It's almost won the contest. It's FOV was essentially unlimited. I can't imagine it producing a feeling of being closed in. The N40 lost to it's new sibling, the N87 - mostly due to better fit with the N87 and the N87's excellent view port coverage by it's drop down internal sun visor. The N87 also has excellent horizontal FOV out it's view port. Of course the N87 looses the battle against the N40 Full in vertical FOV department.

As to wearing glasses... The N87 comes with what Nolan calls the Eye wear Adaptive system. Basically it allows for a small section of foam to be removed from the cheek pad/
liner at the temple to make room for the eyeglass temples.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...an-n87-review/

Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Norky
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

3/4 Biltwell. Very comfortable.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
arai signet q. Arais are a little more money for a current one but you can get a closeout fairly reasonably. Like half off if you get lucky. They make helmets for several head shapes. The most important thing to know for a recommendation is your head shape. Buy the wrong lid and youll either be too big or have a red spot on your forehead
Agree, until I finally figured it out and researched helmets for my head shape (Round oval) always had helmets that just did not feel fully comfortable. After months of research ended up with an Arai Quantum X and the thing is just perfect for my head shape. Light and great fit no pressure points. Pricey but am inclined to want to wear it. Found on my Breakout I like it most as that bike has no wind protection. The helmet actually makes the ride more comfortable.

Last edited by HenryT; 04-26-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Never had a problem wearing sunglasses in my FF helmets, so thinking glasses would also work fine.
They, glasses, do work fine. I read posts years ago from people claiming it is difficult to put on, or remove I guess, a FF helmet while wearing glasses. One poster claimed he even broke his glasses during the process.

That is probably true, I wouldn't know because I have always removed my glasses first.

Another benefit of a FF are the vents. Of course that is probably more important here in the desert then it is in other areas.

Last edited by rjg883c; 04-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 PM
gduncan
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Quick Reply: Helmets