General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good or Bad Ebay Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Good or Bad Ebay Experiences?

Just a warning. There's a BIG Harley Ebay Guru out of Pompano Beach, Florida who has a 100% rating, but gave me the worst screwing I've ever had on a bike. My azz is still warm. Totally my fault buying sight unseen (except for photos), and trusting someone at their word. But with the great ratings, beautiful photos (which hid many problems), and the excellent rapport I seemed to have on the phone with the salesman, I bit and was reeled in like a stupid carp. It was described as basically flawless...a show stopper. Bad news all the way around when the bike arrived. The modified Shovel (can't recall the model) had paint defects, chipped off jug fins, bad brakes, a fuel line that disintegrated when I touched it to replace a filter, gear issues, primary belt issues, electrical issues...and on and on. I paid top dollar as well. I filed a claim with Ebay, and ended up taking $1,200 from the dealer to cover some of my costs. I should have just sent the bike back, because it ended up having even more problems later on. I sold it to a guy for much less than I bought it for, because I listed the defects it had like should have been done in the first place. Ebay is a great company and has great policies and insurance. Plus I've also bought my best bike so far on Ebay. But these Pampano Beach guys? I've read great reviews and seen beautiful bikes...just be careful. In closing, I bought the bike...I was the dunce.

Last edited by FunGramps; 04-27-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

After accepting a $1200.00 settlement from the dealer it's kinda of a dick move to take your rant public.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Would NEVER buy a bike I cannot put eyes on directly and I damned sure wouldn't do it off egay. Quit using them them when they got stupid with fee's and wouldn't allow you to give bad feedback anymore.

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
FunGramps (04-27-2017), mjrfd99 (04-28-2017), tar_snake (04-30-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:39 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
After accepting a $1200.00 settlement from the dealer it's kinda of a dick move to take your rant public.
The initial dick move was the unethical sales practice. If you read the post, I thought the 1,200.00 would suffice. Per a vintage wrencher I took it to and paid to give it the once-over, it turned out it didn't come close...and we both know that a dealership knows what's right or wrong with their bikes. It's my story, but if you think it's a "dick move" and "rant"... well, you know what they say about opinions, right?

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Would NEVER buy a bike I cannot put eyes on directly and I damned sure wouldn't do it off egay. Quit using them them when they got stupid with fee's and wouldn't allow you to give bad feedback anymore.
Thanks for your input!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-27-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,121 Likes on 6,191 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Really? If the seller had represented their merchandise fairly and honestly in the first place there would have been no settlement needed. In my opinion, theirs was the so-called "dick move".

EDIT: I see the OP beat me to it.

The following 2 users liked this post by martinj:
FunGramps (04-28-2017), tar_snake (04-30-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I would never buy any vehicle without seeing it in person. However, I did get my current bike from Ebay. But only because it was local, had less than 400 miles on it, and I was able to check it out before finalizing the deal.

The following users liked this post:
FunGramps (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

I always had GOOD experiences with the people. buyers and sellers.

Just don't like the site and rarely go there anymore.

Don't like them shoving PayPal **** in front of 'me face all the time either.

BuzzCap7

FunGramps (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGramps
The initial dick move was the unethical sales practice. If you read the post, I thought the 1,200.00 would suffice. Per a vintage wrencher I took it to and paid to give it the once-over, it turned out it didn't come close...and we both know that a dealership knows what's right or wrong with their bikes. It's my story, but if you think it's a "dick move" and "rant"... well, you know what they say about opinions, right?
Don't worry FunGramps; this guy here is an expert on 'dick moves'.........

FunGramps (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

I've had great luck on ebay , vary few issues , but I've never bought anything as substantial as a bike or car and would never do so with out 1st personally inspecting it.
I've looked at enough vehicles online that appeared pretty decent in photos until I went to look at them , lots of stuff doesn't seem to show up in online photos. Seen some real disappointments I'd didn't expect from the photos I saw.

FunGramps (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

I bought my current evo dyna off of eBay. Still drove an hour to see it before I committed to paying any money. Ended up being a great deal on a great motorcycle.

The first year of owning it the carb quit, ignition failed, speedometer shorted out... Its called buying a used bike. Did you expect a warranty or something? Don't blame eBay for the actions of one eBay user.

Quick Reply: Good or Bad Ebay Experiences?