General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TxDOT urges drivers to 'share the road'

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:00 AM
hd_numb1
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HDMIKETN64
I totally agree. You have to hit these people where it hurts - and cause some financial pain. They are dangerous and weave around as much as drunks do.
Let's not get them too riled up cuz we all know we'd have a hell of a time if they get pissed and start enforcing their dumb dumb noise ordinances

Old 04-30-2017, 04:16 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

The only way people will start putting their phones down is if everyone starts taking it seriously. First offence, $2500 fine and impounded vehicle for 30 days. Second offence, $5000 fine and 90 day vehicle impound. Sound harsh? So is killing someone for being selfish

Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Ol dirty biker
The only way people will start putting their phones down is if everyone starts taking it seriously. First offence, $2500 fine and impounded vehicle for 30 days. Second offence, $5000 fine and 90 day vehicle impound. Sound harsh? So is killing someone for being selfish
Right on. This works for me.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:46 AM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Ol dirty biker
I would also add that the distracted/texting driver should immediately be arrested. Law enforcement does not let a drunk driver get back on the road after a traffic stop because of the immediate risk they present to others on the road. Why should distracted/texting drivers be treated any differently?

Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Not holdin my breath

I do get a laugh how TX keeps score (running total) of the road deaths YTD..., and posts it on road signs

Reminds me of an nba score run up

Also wonder if the families of those killed throughout a year..., like seeing those numbers posted - knowing one (sometimes more) of them - is theirs

Unintended consequences..., can be a bitch

Ghost
It is unfortunate, but here in Chicago we need to keep two tallies: killed on the road and shot to death. Lawmakers are doing nothing to curtail either tragedy. I wholeheartedly agree on higher fines for any action where a person gets hurt.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I always try and give a thumbs up or a wave to cager that does see me and waits to make the turn. I'm letting them know I appreciate the awareness.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,662 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Gozzie
I always try and give a thumbs up or a wave to cager that does see me and waits to make the turn. I'm letting them know I appreciate the awareness.
That's actually pretty cool. One thing I've noticed when on my bike is at stop signs & lights, people who clearly have the right of way will wave me to go first. I always appreciate that, even if it's not necessary.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

This phone and texting **** blows me away. If I'm walking down the street using my gun in a way that endangers people I'm gonna lose it where I live. So why aren't the retards texting and phoning while driving not losing their phones or even their cars if they cause an accident? Or why can phones not be disabled when the car is running? It ain't rocket science...it's political will!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

I think that even if LEO wanted to do more, they can't due to current laws.

In one of the towns around here the police has had enough so they have started to place some of their police officers at intersections on foot in plain clothes and when the light turns red they walk up to anyone that's on a cell phone and direct them to the curb where they are ticketed by an uniformed police officer in a police car.

The program just started last week so I am not sure if it is making a difference.