General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Vs LED Projector

Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Dominguezix1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halogen Vs LED Projector

I ride a 2012 Street Glide with the standard halogen bulb. I was thinking about converting to the LED Projector either from Harley ($300 ish) or maybe order from Amazon or Ebay ($100 or less).

My question is: Has anyone gone from Halogen to LED? Not factory LED but after you've had the bike awhile and decided to make a switch. I want to make sure that all of the wiring and connectors that were originally installed for the Halogen set up work without issue on the LED set up.

Also, has anyone bought the "cheaper" versions of these projector lighs form Amazon or Ebay and had any success? Is it worth my money to buy Original HD equipment or can I take a cheaper way out?

Thanks for your help - I've been a member of this forum for just about 24 hours now...

Ivan

Old 04-28-2017, 06:40 PM
bambambam
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope somebody comes along with some info as I am interested in this same mod.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominguezix1
I ride a 2012 Street Glide with the standard halogen bulb. I was thinking about converting to the LED Projector either from Harley ($300 ish) or maybe order from Amazon or Ebay ($100 or less).

My question is: Has anyone gone from Halogen to LED? Not factory LED but after you've had the bike awhile and decided to make a switch. I want to make sure that all of the wiring and connectors that were originally installed for the Halogen set up work without issue on the LED set up.

Also, has anyone bought the "cheaper" versions of these projector lighs form Amazon or Ebay and had any success? Is it worth my money to buy Original HD equipment or can I take a cheaper way out?

Thanks for your help - I've been a member of this forum for just about 24 hours now...

Ivan
Go to Amazon and search for LED H4. There is a direct plug and play LED for about $30 Prime. It gets the job done. The one I bought has around 300, 5 star reviews and several refer to installing them on a Harley. I am assuming you have the H4 halogen as OEM

Old 04-28-2017, 10:00 PM
aecs
Road Master

Received 403 Likes on 225 Posts

I run a 60 dollar amazon special (they are the wii pro) on my sporty custom. it is great. plug and play.

Last edited by aecs; 04-29-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 PM
JediGoalie30
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I spent $135 shipped (w/ 10% new customer coupon code) for my LED headlight module from Eagle Lights, it is super bright and looks awesome with the halo ring.

https://www.eaglelites.com/collectio...full-halo-ring

Old 04-28-2017, 11:08 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I put the Harley light, paid $330 I will never ride at night with a standard halogen bulb again. Crystal clear white light.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't get the Harley projector. Get the one made by JW Speaker.

Warrantied, less pricey, and a better beam spread.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:37 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

First do not just stick a LED bulb in a halogen reflector housing. It has less forward throw and more high intensity glare for oncoming traffic.

I have one from Amazon on my 03 FXD. Wiipro it's solid. Of the cheap ones I've seen this one really does well. It doesn't have nearly as many problems with weird funky artifacts in the beam pattern like some that cost more. It is still not "as good" as a JW Speaker but they did a heck of a good job. The JW will have no artifacts and no odd shaped patterns from the projector, if you just want to say you gave the best they are the way to go. They are the OEM manufacturer for Harley's projectors.

Id buy another wiipro in a heartbeat.

No way I'm going back to halogen.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 05:52 AM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Don't get the Harley projector. Get the one made by JW Speaker.

Warrantied, less pricey, and a better beam spread.
I was just looking at JW speaker's website yesterday. Has anyone see the new adaptive lights yet? It seems like a very cool idea, but expensive. Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience of how well they work

Old 04-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have them all. LED H4 replacement on my WG, Harley's version on both the Heritage and of course the RG. Also have the aftermarket version with the halo ring on both my Jeep Wranglers, and my Tahoe. If I drive or ride it at night, it has LED's on it. Never regretted buying any, but I could've waited for aftermarket ones for the Heritage, I think it was like $600 for those puppies......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Halogen Vs LED Projector