General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The getting older and still riding thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:33 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

63 in weeks; still touring. I'm lucky to have an active but not strenuous outdoor job (was on the ATV a lot lately). I work 8 days, then am off for 6...semi-retirement by my standards.
I've always preferred the lighter bikes; nearly switched to BMW a few years ago. Had a fast 103 inch T-Sport, now a more sedate 103 Fat Bob. I'd like to try an R1200 R if I get tired of the 'Bob; but I generally don't like the stereotypical BMW rider compared to the HD riders I know. Currently "probating" for a riding club of generally younger guys...looking foreward to some different experiences. Activity and weight seem to be two key factors, aside from the obvious lifestyle choices, that enable a person to continue to enjoy life as they age...

Old 04-29-2017, 08:40 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
A member, on another part of the forum, announced that it was time for him to give up riding. I thought the challenges of being an older rider would make for a good discussion. I am in my mid 60's and in excellent overall health. Exercise regularly. Don't take any prescription med's. All of my vitals are good. What is not so good is the aches and pains and the arthritis. In order to keep riding I had to buy a Softail, which was never my first choice in a bike. But it was a concession to lighter weight and more forward floor boards. My hips just won't take anything less than the Softail floor boards. The other issue is handlebars. Higher handle bars kill my shoulders. So that is the reason I am on a Softail Slim. I can still ride in relative comfort, but there are no 200 plus miles days left for me. I sometimes ride with a group and I make sure I know where they are going before I commit. If its approaching 200 miles or more I decline. The other thing about getting older is you don't sleep as well. I have had to force myself to just not get on the bike on those days I am tired. With my delayed reactions I no longer feel safe if I am not well rested. And the cold bothers me a lot more than it did a few years ago. What was once a fine temperature to ride is now a day to stay home. Another adjustment I have made is I can no longer do some of my own wrenching. Maintenance items are not an issue. But doing cam changes are behind me. It took me days to get over the last one I did. All the squatting and hunching over just about wiped me out. I plan to continue to enjoy riding as long as I can. But I have already had to make some adjustments. The hardest part is accepting that you can no longer do what you once could. Would like to hear your experiences.
I just got my Medicare card so the OP and I are about the same age. I don't want to come across as a smart *** so please don't take it that way. He needs to get a physical immediately and have some tests done. I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like he is in "average" physical health for a 65 year old.

I walk 2 or 3 brisk miles a day several times a week, but due to still drinking almost a case of beer per week I'm still considered overweight. But I feel good and can still service my own bike, ride 300+ miles a day, and be outside doing active stuff in summer heat. I went with a Trike last year more because of safety concerns (more visible), more planned 2-up long distance riding, and my DW told me she wanted me to get one (main reason).

When I start getting tons of aches and pains and can't be in the seat for more than 200 miles a day then I will probably have a used Sporty sitting in the garage for an occasional solo ride.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:45 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,825 Likes on 821 Posts

^^^^ Don't mean to be mean, but you're riding a trike!! Big difference between a trike and a motorcycle. I could probably still ride 300-500 miles a day on a trike. Almost car-like. No "weight" to worry about, no balance worries, or moving the bike around. No holding it up at stops, or holding it up when your passenger decides to shift their weight. Big difference. I can drive my car 10-12 hours a day. Figure a trike would be close to the same thing. I'm glad you're on your trike, and still riding, but you're one wheel away from being in a car. Not quite the same as riding a motorcycle at our age, IMHO.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 04-29-2017 at 08:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Mc (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
r-bar-j
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Bought my 2016 Limited for my 70 birthday, having a great time. Lots of aches and pains, but wind in my face makes things better. Will keep going until knees and back give out.

mrmarklin (05-09-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:57 AM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

67 on my next birthday. I make an annual trip with my baby boy (42) each year. Last years trip to New Mexico required me to ride 800 plus miles the last day to arrive home in time to go to work the next day. While I can still do it, I feel the consequences of those kind of miles a lot more than I did just 5 years ago. Riding to Sturgis from Houston this year. The "baby boy" wants to do it before I get too old to hold up the Limited. Those were his words. I am blessed that I can still keep the knees in the breeze.

DaveinHouston (05-14-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:57 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Getting old ain't for sissies.

The following 2 users liked this post by indiandave:
ISP-FLHTK (04-30-2017), SBRob (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

On my 68th trip around the sun and I too have been doing it since 1965 ( and earlier in the woods ) ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
SBRob (04-29-2017), Spy11 (05-14-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:21 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,079 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I'll be 65 in August, and started riding in 1963. I'm in decent health...no required prescription medications or problems except for a bad right knee from an old skiing mishap about 18 years ago that is now arthritic. It's gotten worse over time and I can no longer go up or down a flight of stairs due to my knee. It doesn't bother me when walking or riding my bikes.

I go to the gym three times a week and lift weights as well as some aerobic exercises. Maybe when I get on Medicare in August I can consider a solution for my knee...I dunno, I hate goin' to doctors, period. lol

My motorcycles make me happy...I like all kinds and hope to keep on riding for a long time. We all age differently, and I don't have a crystal ball to know what the future will bring and I really don't worry about it.

indiandave (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:21 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
I don't want to come across as a smart *** so please don't take it that way. He needs to get a physical immediately and have some tests done. I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like he is in "average" physical health for a 65 year old.
LOL. What tests would you suggest? My issues are with mild arthritis and just general wear and tear. I would imagine I am in overall better health than 95% of people my age. I pointed out that I take no prescription meds and that my vital signs are all good. Blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol all normal. But can I do what I could physically 15 years ago? Nope.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-30-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Recan
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I traded for a 2017 Tri Glide on my 72nd birthday to celebrate getting a good scan after a bout with throat cancer. I had no idea the trike would brand me as an old fogey.

Quick Reply: The getting older and still riding thread.